Why is it so difficult?

UncleBuck

I am upgrading the Oxford to Queens route and when I list dependancies I find that there are things in there that I was sure I had replaced with my preferred versions/replacements on this route.

For example:
I (thought I had) replaced all the track to use the s301 VR 80lb tracks and its variations but the dependancies show there are SAP Protrack dependancies and I can't find using them using the editor.
Another case is that I have (somewhere) a dependancy on NSW 3Asp Auto and NSW 3Asp LD but I have been over the full 400 odd Km of this route several times and cannot find them.

This is only two of MANY examples I could use.

Is there ANY way to get a list of the assets being used in a route and their co-ordinates? It has to be recorded somewhere so surely there must be a way I can find that information out.

Cheers,
Colin

Is the Show Missing Assets option checked? That way you'll see an orange wire frame wherever a missing asset is located. I don't think the actual coordinates can be exported. In the end, you can just select Delete Missing Assets and be done with them. Be aware this is a one way action so do it on a clone of the route, just in case you change your mind later, hopefully not after you have made many other changes.

The Show Missing Assets is ticked already and I have also tried the Delete Missing Assets but all these things are still appearing as dependants on the route so I have no idea where they are.

It is so damn frustrating that we are unable to see a list of assets and their co-ordinates as that would make life so much easier.

It's no wonder that some of the older (and best) routes are not being upgraded as the tools just don't exist to be able to help the content creators (and modifiers, like me).

Find the unwanted asset in CM and disable it. Open the route and it should show the missing asset box. I don't think the track in an industry asset will change when you do a bulk update of the track.

Never thought of disabling an asset to try and find it.... Great idea (even though we shouldn't have to do it this way as it seems illogical).

Make sure you have all your content up-to-date. Recently in the newer versions, un-updated assets have shown either faulty or missing dependencies if not updated. This is especially true if you have any DLC installed.

Well I tried deleting the asset using CM and then opened the route and browsed the entire route one direction and then the other with no success. I double checked to make sure I had the "Show Missing Assets" ticked before I went looking but they refused to show up.

I did mange to solve the signal issue by (bulk update/replacing using Surveyor Classic) replacing the signals with a VERY tall semaphore signal so they would stand out and that has worked.

When I managed to do that, I then moved on to removing the turnout frogs on the route (as I no longer need them) by replacing them with the same signal and that made them VERY easy to find.

Now I just have to work on the remaining track objects I want to replace/remove by using the same method.

It's a horrible way to have to do things, but it looks like that is the best way.

Is there a way to find where a faulty asset is on a route? Faulty assets are usually invisible until they are fixed. It's a guard rail spline that has texture errors but the PEV tool can't fix them because it's marked as payware (it's a JR asset) and the textures don't show up in the PEV tool and can't be converted to .tga. Is there no way to fix that kind of an error? Only older assets with texture errors can be fixed with the PEV tool, but newer ones you can't.

You could use the same approach I used to find the issues I had.

Using Surveyor Classic, do a bulk update/replace and replace the faulty spline with something that is obviously out of place, then search the route for what you replaced it with.

This is NOT an ideal way to do things, however, it is the only way I have been able to replace (hard to find) things.

I have a static object and a spline which are absurdly huge.

If I hand edit the config to have the KUID of a missing or faulty item and then DRAG THE FOLDER INTO CONTENT MANAGER it installs my fake asset.

Then I can find it in surveyor. Select it and replace it in bulk, or delete it.

Its unfortunate that such "skullduggery" is required and a bit complex, but it works.

I have a static object and a spline which are absurdly huge.

If I hand edit the config to have the KUID of a missing or faulty item and then DRAG THE FOLDER INTO CONTENT MANAGER it installs my fake asset.

Then I can find it in surveyor. Select it and replace it in bulk, or delete it.

Its unfortunate that such "skullduggery" is required and a bit complex, but it works.
I use the same method to replace a missing newer asset I don't have because for some reason or another the newer version can't be found on the DLS. To make matters worse, sometimes an older version is packaged or built-in making the search for the up-versioned on impossible.

To fix this, I'll download an obsolete version. Open that for editing, and then go into file explorer and copy the folder to my desktop where I change the KUID to match the missing one. I then drag the folder back into Content Manager and revert the one I opened for editing. I then put my updated copy on my backup drive in case I need to reinstall it but can't find it and end up redownloading it again and doing the same thing as I did this week!

Yeah, I've done that too where the asset got upversioned just because of a DLC.

I also did that to use speedtrees where billboards were used. Finding similar trees and then making a copy of that asset an upversion of the orignal KUID (using :99 to avoid any updates)

I've given up for today, but I've found a problem. Seems if you bulk replace spline they only APPEAR to be replaced. The dependencies still call for the higher version original, and to top it off examining the route KUID table shows the lower version you want.

Trains just does what it damn well pleases.

You want :1 well too bad Trainz wants :22, deal with it. Grrrrr.

Part 2: I highlighted the missing assets, which all said "unknown location" yet had names (a clue) and then deleted them.

Seems that "erased them from the database" (I guess) and when I relisted dependencies for the route they showed up again, but now as the lower revision and available on the DLS.

I downloaded them and, TADA! All is well.

(Again, why does it have to be so hard LOL)

Last edited:
It bugs me to no end when unknown kuid’s are marked payware, are built-in and not in a newer Trainz version unless you install a route or something, you can’t just cdp the asset over from an earlier Trainz because of the texture errors which can’t be fixed in newer assets, or the kuid is on a site that closed and wayback archive can’t download it because the file wasn’t archived with the site. I’m not sure how to replace faulty or unknown assets in routes with similar assets. Like replace a faulty track with a working one. You can’t use bulk replace in surveyor to replace a faulty or missing asset or if it is a bridge or crossing.

Back