White textures don't appear properly in noon-ish lighting.

janathan

(https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU...unity?lb=UgkxiC8e6VobPrv_4W_XRwwwBfJNCY0VoZgF)

I've noticed lately that white textures don't appear properly with in direct sunlight (i.e. at around noon).
For example, in the above pictures, I have a road with a concrete sidewalk and even though the concrete slabs are various shades of white, the whole thing just looks like a slab of white, indistinguishable from the white background in "preview asset." It looks like this in-game, too.

I have the same issue with concrete road textures. I have white pavement markings against a beige background, but you can't see the pavement markings in direct sunlight, you can only see that it's white.

I've also notices this with white brick textures I've made for lighthouses. In direct sunlight, it just looks white, but on the shadow side, you can see the grout and other details.

This confuses me. If I take my portable heater outside in direct sunlight, even though the entire heater is the exact same shade of white, it doesn't disappear into a blob of white with no discernable detail. I can still see the individual parts that make up the heater, so why do white texture disappear into a blob of white in direct sunlight?:confused:

Computer lighting works by adding "white" for sun and "black" for dark and you only have a range of 0 to 255 so if you make the textures near "0" or "255" you get what you are seeing. Can fix by making the "white" in the texture darker.

You also have some in-game controls to help the situation. I find that setting the “ambient” and “sun” colors to a gray with RGB dials each at about the “3 o’clock position” for all the daylight times. There is also the brightness slider which can be set to something less than full brightness.

It’s never perfect however. Objects and ground textures seem to respond differently to any given light conditions, and I have never found a universal solution to keeping them “in sync” at all times of the day.

I find using the following works on light coloured assets, without having to mess with images, in fact it works well on most things as it cuts down the lighting effect.

Ambient 150,150,150
Diffuse 150, 150, 150
Specular 0, 0, 0 yes it does work!

Back