Where do deleted files/sessions go in Trainz 2010?

PARAILFAN

I have a bit of a problem here. A session I had been working on for a few years accidentally was deleted by me. I still have the route it goes with but not everything is in the route, that was in that session. In fact the route only has about half the assets of the session. So it's really important I get this session back. What folder inside the Auran main folder do objects go when they are deleted from the game in 2010? Thanks for any help.

Might be worth checking if you've got a Backups folder in the Userdata folder. If not you're out of luck unless you have an earlier version backed up.

Shane

That was a quick reply! I looked and do not have a folder like that, unfortunately. Hopefully the session will turn up in Content Manager but so far no luck....

...I still have the route it goes with but not everything is in the route, that was in that session. In fact the route only has about half the assets of the session. ....
Hope you can recover your session. On a separate but related note, why do you split the assets between the route and the session? OK, so you only lose half if something goes pear shaped but that is what back ups are for. It sounds like the split only seems to complicate things or is there a logic in the split? track in the route, rolling stock in the session etc.?

Hope you can recover your session. On a separate but related note, why do you split the assets between the route and the session? OK, so you only lose half if something goes pear shaped but that is what back ups are for. It sounds like the split only seems to complicate things or is there a logic in the split? track in the route, rolling stock in the session etc.?
That's a logical question to ask. The assets got split because somehow along the way that is just how it ended up being. I didn't intend for it to happen. By the time I realized there they were split like that, it was too late to do anything. I don't fully get the idea of using the layers and try to avoid using them. Like you said it complicates things. I had a backup made until things went haywire. The session got tied into other routes that it was not supposed to be a part of. So I started deleting sessions and routes but I must have deleted too many. But I got very lucky. I found a stray orphaned session that no longer had a route attached to it. It had all the progress I made in it, because I looked at what assets it had in the configuration. It wouldn't load up for me until I put another map quid in the config file. So that is what I did. and all seems fine now. I only lost a day's work on my session. I learned a big lesson and will be doing multiple backups on different drives after this. Thanks for your message.

Usually in Trainz, when you delete a route or session it goes away permanently into cyberspace and is usually not recoverable
Ahh, but it is however in TS12, assuming you haven't turned off backups. The backup folder, which contains anything you have edited, deleted and so on during the day.

That's a logical question to ask. The assets got split because somehow along the way that is just how it ended up being. I didn't intend for it to happen. By the time I realized there they were split like that, it was too late to do anything. I don't fully get the idea of using the layers and try to avoid using them. Like you said it complicates things.
Actually, when you think about it, layers are rather easy to understand and use. Anything in a route level layer will stay with the route map no matter which session is active. Layers at the session level stay with their own session and are not shared with other sessions. Each route can have multiple sessions.

Layers are great for separating closely spaced objects so you can manipulate one without disturbing the others. I like to create separate layers for track, signals, switches, surveyor guides, trees, buildings, etc. A little more work to set up but by selectively hiding various layers, hours of frustration saved.
I had a backup made until things went haywire. The session got tied into other routes that it was not supposed to be a part of.
Are you saying one session was attached to more than one route? That's really messed up. Didn't think that was possible. Orphaned yes; multiple routes?
So I started deleting sessions and routes but I must have deleted too many.
Safer to do that in two steps, Rename then by adding "OLD-" to the front of the name. Then once you're sure they are not needed, then you can delete them.

Back