Wheels won't turn in Trainz2006, but will in Gmax

tbryson2

Generated my own bogeys, and in GMAX the wheels turn fine. In Traniz 2006, they won't turn properly. I CAN get them to turn if I add "Animation Loop Speed = 1" in the config.txt file, but then they turn all of the time.

So, I can get them to NOT turn when I'm chugging along, OR I can get them to turn all of the time even when I'm sitting still. (Looks wierd in both cases! :D )

I KNOW I'm missing something but cannot figure out what it is! I've tried configuring my "config.txt" file exactly like those that DO turn properly, but they still won't turn.

My config.txt file is:

kuid <kuid:315087:1038>
trainz-build 2.5
category-class "ZB"
category-region "US"
category-era "1940s;1950s;1960s;1970s;1980s;1990s"
username "Tutorial Bogey 2"
kind "bogey"
author "Terry Bryson"
contact-email "xxxxxx"
animdist 3.1
mesh-table {
default {
mesh "tutorial bogey/Tutorial Bogey.IM"
auto-create 1
anim "tutorial bogey/anim.kin"
animation-loop-speed 1
}
}

There MUST be something else I'm missing!

ANY help I can get would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Terry

I still use the older way to do bogies

PHP:
kind bogey
category-class AC
category-region-0 CH
category-era-0 1990s
kuid <KUID:78193:200205>
animdist 2.064
author Terry Stormont
asset-filename bogie
username cable car_bogie
license ""
contact-email 
organisation Cyberstorm
contact-website 
region Jungfrau
trainz-build 2.0

This seems to work OK without using the mesh table

I have the bogie.IM file and anim.kin in the top directory along with everything else.

I've done what you suggested, and originally had the "anim.kin" file named incorrectly, (if that really matters).

My config.txt file looks perfect, compared to others.

I've re-done my bogey totally, and it is a bit smoother in Gmax, but still cannot get it to turn properly in Trainz. :mad: Thought I just might have something else going on, but cannot figure it out.

Still open for opinions though!

Terry

Check that the bogey is linked and animated correctly, use the tutorial on the World of Trainz site. If you still can't figure it out send me it via e-mail and I'll have a look at it for you.

Paul

This is the config that I use that works for me.

Apogee10

kuid <KUID:85698:50007>
kind bogey
animdist 2.63
mesh-table {
default {
mesh Brill_77E4.im
auto-create 1
}
}
obsolete-table {
}
name Brill 77E4 Bogey
description
trainz-build 2.4
category-class ZB
category-region-0 CA
category-region-1 US
category-era-0 1960s
asset-filename Brill_77E4
username Brill 77E4 Streetcar Bogey
author Earl White
organisation none
contact-email Apogee10@comcast.net

The older version work but proplems is TRS2006 v2.5 config.txt created by CCP. My own bogey case want critical_animation and no check mark in check box. That work my case. Sorry my language.

Thanks everyone for their advice. Latest is:

PAAULHOBBS: The bogey / weels are from the Trainz site you mentioned. They are linked correctly, and they do work great in GMAX. Perhaps I'll be taking you up on your offer and sending it to you. It's always nice to get a second opinion anyway. ;)

ISMOKP: added "critical Animation" and left check box alone. NO DIFFERENCE. (Yes, I did "Commit...") And you don't have to apologize for your "english". Doesn't bother me at all. I thank you for your input! :D

Terry

Been there, done that. With animation_loop_speed, the wheels turned ALL OF THE TIME even when the train was stopped.

So, I took it off already.

thanks.

If this is a 2 axle bogey you need 3 dummies: b.r.main as the root, and a dummy for each axle, let's call them b.r.a1 and b.r.a2. Once you have created the dummies you need to select each one in turn and use the hierarchy menu in the lefthand pane, select affect object only and click align to world. Link each of the two axle dummies to b.r.main.

You should centre b.r.a1 on one of the axles then link all the parts of the wheelset to the dummy. Note you must not use groups or the animation will not work. Do the same linking operation with the parts of the other axle and b.r.a2.

Now set up your animation timing data and animate the dummies (b.r.a1 and b.r.a2) by doing rotations for key frames or whatever is your favourite technique. Do not move any of the wheelset parts, only work with the dummies.

Exit animation mode and ensure all other non-animated parts are linked to b.r.main. Export the mesh and the animation file and you should be good to go.

Cheers
Dave

I have done as you said. I followed the tutorial in: http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Pages/Tutorials_TRS2006/3dsTruckTutTRS.htm EXACTLY!

My dummies are there, and again, IT TURNS PERFECTLY IN GMAX. But NOT in Trainz 2006.

My hierarchy is:
b.r.main
....b.r.wheel0
......Axle01
....b.r.wheel1
......Axle02
....Bogey
(Unfortuanately this page would not allow me to show the tree exactly. So I put "..." to indicate spaces)

Perhaps, (am I reaching here???), my "Axle01" and "02" should be named the same as the Dummies??? i.e. "wheel0" and "wheel1" ??? Would "Trainz 2006" care about that? Obviously GMAX does not because they still turn in GMAX. Hmmmm....:confused:

Terry

Perhaps, (am I reaching here???), my "Axle01" and "02" should be named the same as the Dummies??? i.e. "wheel0" and "wheel1" ??? Would "Trainz 2006" care about that? Obviously GMAX does not because they still turn in GMAX. Hmmmm....:confused:

I am not sure that effect but i use exactly wheel0 an wheel1 and the wheels run fine TRS2006.
Auran's UTC_CCP_Chapter4.pdf Modeling Guidelines and directory structure present wheel_0 and wheel_1.

Hello Terry
Please send the asset to me and I will have a look at it for you. To start with only send the exported asset for TRS and not the gmax or max file.

Regards

Phil

Hello!

I am very intresting to listening the result of this problem in this forum if possible. This was my own proplem by one monhts.

Hello Terry
Please send the asset to me and I will have a look at it for you. To start with only send the exported asset for TRS and not the gmax or max file.

Regards

Phil

Hate to sound ignorant, but I can't find your email address or how to attach a file to this reply.

Terry

Hello All
The questions email address is no longer valid. I did however find amongst all the other 900 junk emails your email with the attached bogey.

The fix is a simple one and the same as I advised in the World of Trainz forum.
Rename the tutorial_bogey.kin to anim.kin and move it to the same folder as the config.txt

I have added the information about where to export the anim.kin to in the tutorial.

Regards

Phil

FINALLY!! got them to work!

I (somehow) read into the instructions and thought that a second sub-directory had to be created to put the image files in. i.e.
editing\tutorial_bogey\tutorial_bogey.

The first "tutorial_bogey" directory had the "config.txt" file, and the second "tutorial_bogey" directory had everything else. It compiled ok, but no animation in Trainz. I moved all files into the first "tutorial_bogey" directory and modified the config.txt file to reflect the change. Committed, and now they rotate fine in trainz!

Phil_C, thanks for your last reply. I wound up sending you the wrong file, (prior to using "anim.kin) and apologize for that. BUT your post did elude to my problem by using the wrong sub-directory.

Thanks for your help! :D

Merry Christmas all and a SAFE New Years!

Terry

Back