Video quality reasons?

I have reviewed many high quality videos of Trainz routes that reflect crisp smooth shadows, and smooth, not jerky, operation, etc. I assume this is because those people are running very powerful computers with advanced graphics cards. I am using an iMac that, is, a few years old, QuickTime to record the screen, and then iMovie to create a short video. When watching the operation of my route when using Driver things are smooth. But when recorded and played back, not so much. I even have turned shadows off to improve performance. Assuming my hardware is the probable issue (most likely), is there a third party software to screen record that compensates for poor hardware?

I have reviewed many high quality videos of Trainz routes that reflect crisp smooth shadows, and smooth, not jerky, operation, etc. I assume this is because those people are running very powerful computers with advanced graphics cards. I am using an iMac that, is, a few years old, QuickTime to record the screen, and then iMovie to create a short video. When watching the operation of my route when using Driver things are smooth. But when recorded and played back, not so much. I even have turned shadows off to improve performance. Assuming my hardware is the probable issue (most likely), is there a third party software to screen record that compensates for poor hardware?
I use FRAPS for video recording of Trainz and am very happy with the end results. You can try it out for free, but I believe there is a "watermark" you have to ignore! Given that is costs nothing to try it out .... go for it as you have nothing to lose! Regards. Colin.

The issue is running trainz and capturing video at the same time. In the windows world we have a number of different tools including nVidia's own capture tool. The Mac world is probably more restrictive. Try running a route that doesn't stress the machine too much, for example Middleton for laptops and see how that turns out. Setting the distance slider to a shorter distance can help sometimes as well.

Cheerio John

John --

That's my experience too. What I did find was recording to a different drive, not the drive running Trainz, helped reduce the stuttering.
_____

Col --

I found that at higher resolutions FRAPS introduced some jerkiness. I now use OBS Studio which is open source freeware, and which I'd highly recommend. The only downside is that with the default settings there is no on-screen indication that it is recording. One way of overcoming this is to set the Scroll Lock key as the hot key to start and end recording.
_____

To the original poster --

OBS Studio is also available for Mac. You will also need an application to edit and compress the file. I use Shotcut. Again it's open source freeware with a Mac version.

This is the result using both apps on a reasonably powered Windows PC (best watched full screen / 1440p):

Phil

Try screenflick for Mac , it works well for me ,but take into consideration that I have an 8gb Rx 580 in a 2010 Mac Pro.

Back