Vertical Plank Spline?

lewisner

Hi all, I would like to make a rough mockup of the Passenger/Parcels Lift (elevator) at Kirkby Stephen East station and I need a spline made out of vertical planks, about 20 feet+ tall and hopefully painted Cream or White.Is there such a thing on the DLS? Thanks in advance...:)

You could do a search for all the fences and see if anything looks promising.
In the meantime, look at Fort_Small and Fort_Large by Dreddman. It's a pair of log stockade splines, but it might do what you need.

:cool: Claude

Cheers Tokkyu! I did do a search for "plank" but it came up with 1000 + items and I chickened out of looking through them all.

A search for "Wall" brings it down to only 565 items, including TRS06 assets. :D You never know what will turn up. You could do seperate searches for each Trainz version to cut the number per search down and do the search over a few days.

if you could provide a picture...

of the plank thing that you want i could whip one up for you really fast in gmax :)

Thanks David, the station was closed in January 1962 and the lift was demolished soon after so I don't have any photos of my own lol, but I will have a look around and see if I can find some better shots than the previous one.

ok im really confused... :confused: :confused: :confused:

what exactly do you want, because the link to the picture that you posted has no vertical plank things that i can see.

Hi David if you look at the top of the pic a third of the way from the left there is a tall tower with a sharply pointed roof.That was the entrance from the road bridge to the station, and the lift is the pointed roof structure.It was made of vertical T&G planks and had one of those concertina type lift gates at the road side (bridge level) and at platform level on the opposite side from the road entrance.The roof was grey slate and at closure it was painted in BR(LM) cream with BR (LM) maroon up to about four feet above platform level.I only have one book with a decent platform photo of it about a hundred years ago, but I have no scanner else I could send it to you.

Last edited:
Do you have approximate dimensions? Height, width, height from ground to upper and lower openings, things like that? If you know how many planks were on a side, we could always draw the textures by hand. Straight lines are easy.
Is the lower opening on the same or opposite side of the upper opening?

Thanks for the offers guys! From measuring the one decent photo I have (c 1900) and assuming the planks are 9 inches wide, the basic dimensions are - Height to Gutter/eaves 40 feet .In plan view it is 12.5 feet square made up of 14 vertical planks on each side.The platform entrance is 3.5 feet above ground level and 6 feet high by 9 feet wide.The road entrance is 20 feet above ground level and at 180 degrees to the platform entrance with the same dimension opening.It had a 45 degree (pitch) grey slate roof which projected about 1 foot each side to hold the guttering.Livery was as brook's "Platform Gaslamp BRLM" 84912:28041 Maroon to 4 feet above Platform height and Cream up to eaves level.I'll try to knock a drawing up and scan it at the Library tomorrow (my scanner went to heaven a while ago).

Last edited:
Lewisner, if you have a digital camera, with some care, you can get reasonable results using it as a scanner.

I need a similar texture, vertical planking, about a foot wide, painted white, for enclosed stairs. If nothing else is offered soon, I will make it in gmax, and you'd be welcome to use it.
Mick Berg.

Wow thanks Mick! I also need the plank spline for Carlisle Citadel station, where the ramp up to the road was actually boarded in to create a series of offices.I am a lazy boy, but I will have a go at doing a drawing tonight - I promise.:confused:

Wow thanks Mick! I also need the plank spline for Carlisle Citadel station, where the ramp up to the road was actually boarded in to create a series of offices.I am a lazy boy, but I will have a go at doing a drawing tonight - I promise.:confused:
Well, I was only offering to make the plank texture, to be honest. What do you think of this, it's actually my garage door!
Plank1Vert.jpg

If you like it I will retake the photo so it is square and edit it so it can be tiled. I think it looks better than something made in an editng program because it is real (well, fake real)
Mick Berg.

Last edited:
It looks very planklike,The planks on the KSE lift were about 9 inches wide, a typical size for T & G planking.

I don't understand why you want a spline. How would you make your elevator tower out of a spline? I think what you need is a texture.

I've been a bit busy and haven't gotten to making the plank texture yet.
If you look at Gary's Tutorial "Lit Windows," the siding texture for the house looks a lot like wooden planking. You would have to turn it 90 degrees to be vertical. I don't know the legalities of using the texture other than in the tutorial, but it's all there ready to go in a texture file called "maintex".
Mick Berg.

Back