Unsaved changes question at startup

schweitzerdude

In TRS2019 at startup if you have unsaved changes, you are given a chance to implement these changes. Very useful if you had a power failure.

However, I have found that the most common situation is some mouse movement or click that the software doesn't like and you have a CTD (crash to desktop). If you had 99 edits since the last save, followed by an edit causing a CTD, if you retrieve those edits at startup, you retrieve all 100 unsurprisingly, but the last one causes another CTD (which makes sense). So you are forced to accept all or none, but only the none choice allows you to get the route loaded, so you lose 99 edits.

I suppose the workaround is to get proficient at the restore process which I admit I have not. But if N3V could make a change so that the last edit would never be restored, this would solve the problem. Its better to lose 1 edit than all 99. Any opinion on this?

I have long been in the habit of saving a copy of the route/session I am working on as a .cdp every-time I exit Surveyor. It does not take long and if I have a crash when I later resume Surveyor then I only lose what I have changed since the last save. I have yet to have a CTD in Surveyor in TRS19 and have found it to be extremely stable in that area. I occasionally get a CTD in CM but I have found that performing a database repair at intervals during a heavy Surveyor session has eliminated most of those.

I doubt very much that your proposal of ignoring only the last edit in a recovery is feasible. The automatic backup system build into Trainz saves the current state of the entire route/session as a backup, just like saving it manually as a cdp. In both cases, the automatic backup and the manual cdp, the changes you make are not saved in chronological order.

A better option would be to find and eliminate the cause(s) of your Surveyor CTDs.

Last edited:
Back