Unable to open CDP for reading. Any solutions?

Little_Boy921

Route Building Rocks
Recently, I downloaded a route of the Cajon Pass and amongst the dependencies needed to be downloaded were 5 cdps titled UTM Tiles. However, only 1 out of the 5 cdps were able to be read, with the rest of them being "Unable to open CDP for reading". From the little google searches I've done, apparently those cdps might be corrupted. I want to see if anyone has any solutions or if its a lost cause.

Currently the forum does not show which version of trainz you have. If it's TS22 then there is a problem if not they may just be for a later version of trainz than you have.

Cheerio John

Recently, I downloaded a route of the Cajon Pass and amongst the dependencies needed to be downloaded were 5 cdps titled UTM Tiles. However, only 1 out of the 5 cdps were able to be read, with the rest of them being "Unable to open CDP for reading". From the little google searches I've done, apparently those cdps might be corrupted. I want to see if anyone has any solutions or if its a lost cause.
If you are on wireless and the CDP files are large, that may be your problem. There are issues downloading large files over wireless connections due to latency issues. If you are on wireless, see if you can download the files with a LAN cable connected to your router, or go to a place where you can connect over a wired connection and use a portable device to transfer the files to your PC.

Currently the forum does not show which version of trainz you have. If it's TS22 then there is a problem if not they may just be for a later version of trainz than you have.

Cheerio John
I'll have to edit my account bio in that case. I currently use trainz 2019, though I do plan on upgrading to trainz 2022 once I have the time and money. Or if it goes on sale on steam

If you are on wireless and the CDP files are large, that may be your problem. There are issues downloading large files over wireless connections due to latency issues. If you are on wireless, see if you can download the files with a LAN cable connected to your router, or go to a place where you can connect over a wired connection and use a portable device to transfer the files to your PC.
Lucky for me then since Im using a pretty powerful pc tower

Those are huge files. That may be your problem.

The other issue is disk space.

How much free space do you have on your drive?

A CDP is roughly 50% to 80% the actual size of the content. When a CDP file is decompressed, there needs to be room not only for the CDP file, but also the content to fit on the drive as well as temporary files as the CDP file is decompressed. If there's not a lot of space, things can end up corrupted, or you may receive a message saying the file is but it's not.

I just downloaded the route and the UTM tiles RAR. I am also unable to install UTM tiles 2 thru UTM tiles 5.cdp.

The reason is these files are too large. The maximum a CDP file can be is 2 GB and these are much larger and can't be read.

So, after all this circular troubleshooting the answer was right in front of us the whole time. Now we know the maximum size of a CDP file. 2 GB and not any larger.

PevSoft's CDPExplorer should be able to open them, and then you can export the tiles to smaller packages for importing to Trainz.

PevSoft's CDPExplorer should be able to open them, and then you can export the tiles to smaller packages for importing to Trainz.
I hope so and will give it a try. I never thought of that. The CDP files that can't be opened range from nearly 2.1 GB to about 3.2 GB.

There are a number of missing dependencies including some old track. I was lucky I had that installed from somewhere but there are others that are nowhere to be found anywhere.

EDIT:

I was able to open one of the larger CDP files fine. Thank you for the forgotten recommendation!

I just downloaded the route and the UTM tiles RAR. I am also unable to install UTM tiles 2 thru UTM tiles 5.cdp.

The reason is these files are too large. The maximum a CDP file can be is 2 GB and these are much larger and can't be read.

So, after all this circular troubleshooting the answer was right in front of us the whole time. Now we know the maximum size of a CDP file. 2 GB and not any larger.
I see. Well at least thats better than them being corrupted

Back