UK Screenshots (Hi Res Version)

TYou're a more patient man than I - I tried to use TANE on a 4.1GHz E5450 and GTX570 and it was painful...Even TS12 struggled on my laptop (Thinkpad T420, i5-2520M and HD3000) in 1280x720
Simple, my HP Elitebook 2760p has a 2520m CPU (IIRC) and the specs for the CPU includes a HD3000 GPU. Trouble is, with HD3000, it only supports upto DirectX 10.1, not DirectX 11 which T:ANE needs. It is possible to run T:ANE using a dev tool called DXCPL, but I strongly advise against it. Empty baseboard is fine, anything with anything other than an empty baseboard is just a disaster. I tried my Class 503 back last year on it and it was a slide show. The HP Elitebook 2170p (my main system at the moment - even though I have at least 10 other better systems) has an intel i5-3427u CPU. Its a low powered one and is pretty smooth as long as you don't enable shadows and things aren't too complex.

I'd imagine something like that would use D.O.O? If not the guard can have my condolances!

Nice to see the 47x units still getting some love. I genuinely reckon if I hadn't stumbled across them years ago I'd never have got so into Trainz as I am now, aso well done! :hehe:

It was more like a lot of my designs, a push to see how designs could work, like using luggage bins instead of racks, drawers for bikes or even hanging hooks, a lot of other interesting stuff. In fact, the 477s were designed to be articulated and as 3 car trains so they can go on the street - if they could make it round West Street to South Street in Chichester city centre which has a tight corner (avoiding the market cross - look it up on Google maps if you don't know, it'll give some interesting challenges and ideas of what I mean). It doesn't have a railway though the centre, but I'd love to see one there.

On the subject, would you have any idea why the class 477 windows have turned green in TANE?

In TS12:

<SNIP>

And in TANE:

<SNIP>

Simple, I've noticed this myself. The exporter has "interpreted" the materials and named them accordingly. The first variants were built in 3D Studio Max 5 with the Max 4 exporters. With the switch from PM to IM, I used IM and the exporter as "assumed" the name. Nowdays, you have to tell the exporter the name of the materials to use. In this case, most of my stuff use name.m.reflect which requires a reflection material. In TS12 and below, its referenced by the item. T:ANE changes this and I believe (someone correct me please) that T:ANE before SP2 added a new material, SP3 added yet more materials based on PBR. The new one is name.m.tbumpenv, which is similar to an earlier one known as name.m.tbumptex or without the bump map, name.m.reflect

Now, m.reflect is suppose to reference the texture, but I think T:ANE replaces the texture with something else, here is a recent bogie I made for Cat Spec. The shiny bits are actually m.reflect, but the map is being replaced by T:ANE, interestingly, it doesn't always happen.

Does that answer a lot?

(When the cubic replacement map works properly and name.m.tbumpenv works properly, it does come up with some really nice results, 70003 shows it well.)

Ah, that makes sense, if I position the camera just right, the windows go from green to green and clear bars, sugesting it's using the TANE "missing texture grid"

Simple, my HP Elitebook 2760p has a 2520m CPU (IIRC) and the specs for the CPU includes a HD3000 GPU. Trouble is, with HD3000, it only supports upto DirectX 10.1, not DirectX 11 which T:ANE needs. It is possible to run T:ANE using a dev tool called DXCPL, but I strongly advise against it. Empty baseboard is fine, anything with anything other than an empty baseboard is just a disaster. I tried my Class 503 back last year on it and it was a slide show. The HP Elitebook 2170p (my main system at the moment - even though I have at least 10 other better systems) has an intel i5-3427u CPU. Its a low powered one and is pretty smooth as long as you don't enable shadows and things aren't too complex.

Yeah I've not even attempted to run TANE on any laptop after my experience with the Xeon PC. I might have to try running it on my X230 then, since that has an Ivy Bridge CPU (an i5-3230M I believe).
I was surprised TS12 ran so badly on my T420, since I got it running half decent on my old Compaq laptop with a 1.3GHz AMD E300 APU and Radeon HD6310. On paper the HD3000 is faster than the 6310, and the 2520M is in a completely different league to the E300. Ah well...
I pretty much abandoned running Trainz on anything other than my desktops after TS12 killed a T61p (C2D T7700, Nvidia FX570M, gave high framerates but had horrible problems with the framerate "surging") - It was running when the display backlight flickered for a few seconds, then it launched a mosfet off the motherboard and died. Probably not the fault of Trainz, since that laptop was not healthy to start with, but was definitely one of my more exciting failures

Hi Mick,

That livery is the corporate colour scheme of Freightliner's parent company and was, I think, only announced in May. 413 could be the only loco out-shopped in the new livery so far and it and it certainly hasn't made it's way to Trainz as yet.

Cheers,
Innis

Last edited:
Great shots all!

BodminParkwayTANE.jpg

Drone shot of 37142 leaving Bodmin Parkway ;)

Mark

An excellent layout Mark. I've only had a quick sparrowcam flyover visit so far after I downloaded it from the DLS and from what I've seen it's a really lovely route with a beautifully modelled landscape.

Yeah I've not even attempted to run TANE on any laptop after my experience with the Xeon PC. I might have to try running it on my X230 then, since that has an Ivy Bridge CPU (an i5-3230M I believe).
I was surprised TS12 ran so badly on my T420, since I got it running half decent on my old Compaq laptop with a 1.3GHz AMD E300 APU and Radeon HD6310. On paper the HD3000 is faster than the 6310, and the 2520M is in a completely different league to the E300. Ah well...
I pretty much abandoned running Trainz on anything other than my desktops after TS12 killed a T61p (C2D T7700, Nvidia FX570M, gave high framerates but had horrible problems with the framerate "surging") - It was running when the display backlight flickered for a few seconds, then it launched a mosfet off the motherboard and died. Probably not the fault of Trainz, since that laptop was not healthy to start with, but was definitely one of my more exciting failures

Or could be overheating, laptops tend to be used in all sorts of places, people leave them on beds with the laptop going "help, I'm hot!" and buring your hand off in the process or places they shouldn't have them. A few of mine live in a generic always on case or atleast my Elitebook 2170p does. (A lot of others do too and some I've invested in cases such as Infocase's fieldmate, the Toughbooks and a couple of others have that option.) which also make it ten times easier to carry. The infocase ones even have 4 d-rings that you attach a user harness to, but I think for Trainz on the move, that's going a bit too far. Having said that, I've considered it because the Class 450's, refurbed or not (although I've not been anywhere near 450 113 yet!) don't have tables in standard class, so a harness that allows me to use a laptop seems like a good idea, particularly now my neck absolutely hates laptop work. A lot of the 450s and 444020 and 444040 now have plug sockets throughout though.

AMD APUs can be also a good bet, as long as its not an E-series which is a budget series, having said that, I had a HP 255 G2 which had an AMD E2-3800 which I brought second hand from one of my ex's many friends back in 2015, outfitted it with 8GB of ram and the battery life was enough to last me a whole journey from Salisbury to Exeter and was light enough to not worry about, despite being a 15.6" laptop. It even played a few games (Farcry 3) without moaning too much and built some stuff on it, like the Class 503. The only thing is, the keyboard had white residue in places and the left click button had nearly had enough, but I miss it! 5hr+ battery life while playing casual games was quite something. It was also cheap enough that if it got a knock, scratch or if you could dent plastic, it would be "oh well, lets buy another one." I don't think I tried Trainz on it though. I received a Compaq laptop, forgotten the model with an E1-1200 APU and on paper, its not too bad, but the wifi card is next to useless and the system slows down a lot especially when accessing the network. The original owner branded it as (forum friendly content)! So a new antenna is needed I think, it has only one on the card! I've tried T:ANE on it, but nothing more than an empty baseboard, a few trains and some track. Trouble is, I can't test it out at the moment as I am at my wife-to-be place which I seem to spend more time there than at home.

re post #17444 Epoche3bis4. Brilliant shots, we all owe EverTrainz a lot for his superb models.

re post #17445 KoangaGirl. Fear not, the Long Pong failed, a sturdy 9F was found to save the day.

UK..........BR/GCR/MET

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

re post #17446 robd. Christmas card: If you can print it out, please feel free to use.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Ken ........... You have my vote for postcard of the Season . This tread is really heading up with fantastic shots from all . just my two cents from the other side of the pond :hehe:

Merry Christmas

Matt

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well evilcrow (Excellent 9F in the snow picture by the way). Your amazing screenshots are something I very much look forward to and on days when I'm having a not so good time with this illness I have they really do help to put a smile on my face.

More Hopewood Tramway. GER trainz are now able to work through as far as Downes Farm. After that with all the roadside running a G15 tram engine has to take over.

d7szZFb.jpg

AruFila.jpg

ALwqBQm.jpg

Even though I own four LMS Garratts and have a layout where I can haul 60 wagon coal trains it's light railways and small engines doing small things that I like best.

rM4JA1h.jpg

Hi evilcrow. Re: post #17447, 2nd shot. Thank you and the same to you! Please, where or what is the font you've used for the Xmas greeting? It looks great!

Thanks,

Rob.

Back