Trying to find dimensions of an Irish Viaduct

rjhowie

In my build on the Northern Ireland Railway Company I will be extending the Border Line adding the route all the way from Belfast to Dublin hopefully in early summer as the Ulster picture will be completed. I have an excellent Trainzer willing to help with the River Boyne Viaduct on the way to Dublin. Have pictures but have been searching for some time to find measurements. For now I know there are 12 approaching arches on the south and 3 on the north bank but need an idea of spacing distance as well as on the 4 main pillars length in the centre - and of course the height. Can anyone throw any light or a direction please?

Bobby

Did you discover the engineering company that made it?
Is there a toll on that piece of road?

For a bridge I'm building I found some numbers on websites of those 2 organisations. Hope that helps.

Firstly, hanks for replies.

Dinorius_Redundicus: If that information was available it would be a practical help.
clam1952: Unfortunately the book page for the River Boyne Viaduct doesn't give any measurements.

So still in the dark apart from the pictures I have but obviously the builder needs a wee bit more.

Presumably you’re referring to the Boyne Viaduct at Drogheda.

If so the height is given in this Wiki page.

Google Earth, as Deane suggested, provides some good imagery. I’ve just dragged the little yellow man down onto the blue road lines in StreetView and wandered down several local streets. You can get under some of the arches, but most are much too high to need height restriction warning signs (which would give the clearance height from the road level).

Higher up the hill on the north side of the river you can get under one of the lower arches but there is no height gauge or advance warning height signs that I can see. Perhaps they don’t have them in Ireland, or they are placed further back down the roads to avoid the problem of large vehicles having to turn around down this narrow road. I’ve not looked that closely.

You should be able to get an approximation of size from some of the local pavement widths, painted yellow lines, house doors, people heights etc. used as yardsticks. It won’t be exact, but I reckon you could get pretty close.

Found a couple of measurements here: http://www.argus.ie/lifestyle/building-the-boyne-viaduct-595617.html

The structure is about 1760 feet in length consisting of 15 semi-circular masonry arch spans, 12 on the south and 3 on the north side as well as three girder spans of wrought-iron, two of which are 141 feet between bearings and one of 267 feet all spanning the waterway, quays and public roads and supported by massive masonry piers of limestone.

Might not be too detailed there overall but certainly a help clam1952 considering I have been unable to get any measurements to date! Thanks for that information.

Back