TRS2006 moving Layouts between Computers

Imagineering

This is my first post here - my apologies if it is in the wrong area.

I am presently running TRS2006 on my Desktop Computer under 'XP Home' with no major hassles.

I have recently purchased a High End, Dual Core Processor, Laptop which runs 'Vista Home' and have installed TRS2006 onto it.

Problem #1, Laptop TRS2006 will not save any Created Layouts. TRS2006 prompts 'save' but on return to the Program - the Layout isn't saved, thus lost forever.

Problem #2, In December, I need to give a presentation of a previously created Layout. This needs to be presented on the Laptop (Vista), but has been created on the Desktop XP machine.

How do I transfer/copy the Layout from the Desktop to the Laptop???

Last edited:
Be very careful with this issue. First and foremost, save the route and all sessions in a separated HD (best an external). Use the copy and paste method without compressions. Then try to copy the data to the other computer using also copy and paste (in 09 and perhaps in 06 you could "import content" using CMP). Even with all these precautions I run into trouble: My route opens in surveyor but not in driver! and nothing I tried works other than making a new session of a route in surveyor, but then you lost all the settings (industry, points, speeds, etc). I made noises on other posts, many fellows suggested solutions but nothing did it. So try, but back-up first and see if you have more luck.

Hi
If you install Trainz in the defualt location you can run into the problem you are having....
What I'd do
on the laptop make a new folder called trainz06
c:\trainz06
share the trainz folder on the desktop (old PC)
from the laptop find the newly shared folder on the desktop
select all files in it and copy them to c:\trainz06
go out for a few hours as it'll take ages to copy
then go into c:\trainz06 and click on TRS2006
and play on the laptop just the same what you had on the dsktop

Hi Imagineering,

I still use XP, but I suggest your problem with trying to save from TRS2006 with Vista could be that TRS2006 has to be run as Administrator. ( Right click on the Desktop Icon and select 'Run as Administrator' )

As for copying from one computer to the other go into CMP on the desktop computer and save them as a .cdp file ( as if you were sending them to the DL Station ) CMP on the Laptop should be able to Import them from the .cdp file.

Hope this helps,
Lindsay

This is what I have done. If you have the PC and Laptop on a network connection. You can just create an archive on the PC of all 'local' content, open the archive from the laptop, and then import the archive. BUT make sure that both the PC and Laptop are running the same versions of Trainz, right down to the service packs. This will not work if the build numbers are different.

Thanks Guys, I'll have a play later today.

Unfortunately I need to sort this out before dumping TRS2006 in favour of TRS2010, (which is on order).

EDIT - Later in the day . . .

I've managed to get the Layout onto the Laptop & have commited the File, however . . .
When trying to run the Layout in Either Surveyor or Driver modes, I get the error message;

ERROR - NO MAP SELECTED
You attempted to start Driver or Surveyor without having a map selected.
Return to the Menu and select a new map.

Any suggestions guys???

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, I'll have a play later today.

Unfortunately I need to sort this out before dumping TRS2006 in favour of TRS2010, (which is on order).

EDIT - Later in the day . . .

I've managed to get the Layout onto the Laptop & have commited the File, however . . .
When trying to run the Layout in Either Surveyor or Driver modes, I get the error message;

ERROR - NO MAP SELECTED
You attempted to start Driver or Surveyor without having a map selected.
Return to the Menu and select a new map.

Any suggestions guys???

Have you rebuilt your Asset database? This should ensure that the route listed is in fact installed. The database maybe out of synch.

John

Hi, I had a similar problem with one of my layouts. go into the config file of the layout and change the build number to 2. This fixed the problems that I had.
This way, when you save the layout on the new computer, Trainz can save it how it likes.

Another suggestion

Use the Arcive feature to create a CMP file for layot and all sessions then move this to either a External hard drive or CD. you can then reloaded the aricve using the instructions in the 2006 manual. this way it gives you only the layots and sessions you want and all the assets required

Just a idear

Tom

Thanks for all the assistance guys. It's now all sorted with a combination of most of your suggestions.

Removing TRS2006 from the Laptop & then reloading under c:\TRS2006 seemed to help; Learning more about CMP from you guys helped even more, then running in 'Admin mode' sorted out the two problems of not saving the Layout and 'Map not found' errors.

I can now Edit & Save on the Laptop, meaning I can present the proposed HO Model Layout to my Client with full confidence.

Thanks once again.

Back