TRS19, It's a Ghost Train!

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
First I should explain I build everything in SP1 so everyone with TRS19 can use/play with whatever I create, although I'm mostly back to Tane. I consider SP1 (in TRS19) more stable than SP2 or eck, SP3 but hay, that's just my opinion. Here's an example of how even in SP1 the game is horribly unstable, and I'm not talking about freezes and CTD after saving a route/session. For some time (but not lately since the op) I've been working on updating the Warwick route. I've also created some sessions.

So yesterday I finally made myself get back to it to finish it off. Today I decided the route was ready but I needed to finalise the sessions. I tweaked one and went to drive it. This requires backing the engine out of the shed, and up to the consist.

Half the consist had gone.... until I noticed the other half had mysteriously moved down the track and - wait for this, had been spun around so the guards van was in the middle of what would be the whole consist if re-joined!!!

Now explain to me how even with corrupt coding, can it split a consist, move half down the track (about 8 wagon lengths) then spin that half around??? I dare you explain that one. Ok, we all know there is no answer, but I say it again. Stop adding more features and FIX THE PROBLEMS. Unless these sort of (growing) problems aren't sorted you'll get what you are now getting. Far more problems that have broken the game and will make any new version unviable. The way this game is going is not going to make it a viable, profitable business and with the new competition coming any day now, you can't afford to ignore the warnings.

The hole is getting bigger (IMHO).

Hi Alikiwi,
I did even more drastic then you, only work on routes/sessions and content in TRS19 before SP1,2,3 build 100240
why? Undo is where i want it, carz dont get stuck in Surveyor, Bulk asset replace splines works, no spline issues

The ghost consist(old bug) happens here, when I have changed things on a vehicle
or when a vehicle used in a session misses(or missed) 1 of its dependencies
In that case, temp remove it/or disable, delete missing assets, place the vehicle/consist new in session

what really helps here, when i took time to make a nice consist, save that consist, so you can replace easy

There is no simple explanation for the errors you get. Just try to work systhematically
-work on route/sessions seperately
-give sessions a real name (never default)
-repair faulty items or remove them
-use a picklist with items you know work good
-backup often
-try to have fun, with a version you prefer :)

Consists are bit different than other assets. Unlike a single asset, a consist will will load up for the better or for the worse. The reason is a consist is nothing more than a string of referenced wagons, and locomotives.

Recently, I ran into this issue because of the following:

<kuid2:338228:300076:2> GE 7FDL-16 Prime Mover Mesh TS19 has broken some consists I created as well as created a faulty dependency on a route I had installed.

The previous version, <kuid2:338228:300076:1>, worked fine.

I posted this in the thread about the DLS having fits, but that got ignored. This should be posted in a bug report, I suppose, but no one else seemed to care when I initially reported this as a bug in the previous beta. I was told in so many words that it's my installation that was faulty!

So, in the end, check that some mesh hasn't been updated to "make things better" that has broken your consist.

It's crap like this that really gets me over this program. Things break because things are "fixed". Speaking of updates, beware textures that have been updated to PBR, rather than a completely new version created. I've already run into jellyfish guts, holes under track, and blobs over roads.

Yer, I've heard about those textures before. PBR is totally different and should be kept separate from previous non-PBR types. The rollingstock is rather old QR so I doubt any of them have been updated, and frankly they all (of the steam era) need updating. I'll just log it as yet another mystery to keep one guessing. At least the session works well. I usually save consists so I can then use them in portals which work fine for me. Un-portal 2 however doesn't work at all, but I can live with that.

Yer, I've heard about those textures before. PBR is totally different and should be kept separate from previous non-PBR types. The rollingstock is rather old QR so I doubt any of them have been updated, and frankly they all (of the steam era) need updating. I'll just log it as yet another mystery to keep one guessing. At least the session works well. I usually save consists so I can then use them in portals which work fine for me. Un-portal 2 however doesn't work at all, but I can live with that.

Yeah, that can be quite a surprise running into the PBR textures on what was once a complete route even though the route used the old textures fine.

I do the same with consists. It saves a ton of time setting up yards and portals, and sessions overall. I also setup some non-powered consists of wagons only to populate my yards and sidings. I give them simple names like Harbor yd. 1, Enfield Yard 35, etc.

Back