Trees lined with white.

I`ve seen several assets list as missing LOD data for specific LODs. Would I be correct in assuming that these trees have been checked for partially-missing LOD data?

I`ve seen several assets list as missing LOD data for specific LODs. Would I be correct in assuming that these trees have been checked for partially-missing LOD data?
Speedtrees aren't made the same as ordinary assets. You need a special program to create them and that program builds the LODs internally within the file that it outputs. That file is in a proprietary format that a plug-in to the game engine uses to display the trees. The config.txt for a speedtree asset is pretty simple. Mostly it just names the proprietary file so the game engine can load it. There isn't the normal structure for controlling the LODs like other assets. The software for creating Speedtrees is pretty expensive for end users. It is mostly designed for use by commercial companies. When N3V purchase the software to be able to use it in their game engine they got a number of licenses for the creator software and shared those with a small select group of creators the made trees for trainz. But I have also seen a pirated version of the software available in the dark corners of the Internet however I have no idea if it works or is just bait to install malware on the PC of users that try to install it. I would strongly discourage anyone from looking for it.

Thank you. Very interesting. Are all of the trees mentioned above Speedtrees? I think I saw some mention of "normal" tree types having issues. Whatever. I think that this is about all the help I can provide here at the moment. Returning to Lurk Mode.

I believe that Fourteen said in another thread on this subject that a friend of his that develops game assets said he had seen it with assets for other game engines but I have not seen it on any trainz asset other than Speedtrees. You do see sparkles on assets that have shiny or metallic surfaces but that looks quite different from this issue.

I think I saw some mention of "normal" tree types having issues.

The white dots being discussed in this thread are different from the white outlines mentioned in post #6. That problem - often seen in "normal" or billboard trees - was caused by a light background colour bleeding into the outer edges of the alpha-blended (i.e. semi-transparent) tree image. It could usually be solved by making the image background a darker colour.

Speedtrees make use of billboard type images too, but the cause of the white dots could be a lot more complicated than just texture bleeding. I really don't know.

Back