Transfer caboose, steampunk zepplins, slide-valve steam locos, passenger liners

Matt996

I'm looking for a few rolling stock assets, and haven't been able to find anything on the DLS. Anybody know where I can find something that will work for these?

1. North American transfer caboose -- the "box in the middle of a flatcar" sort of thing, used on between-yards transfer jobs until the 1970s. Something like this, which is SOU XC-6 at the SC RR Museum:
images%5Csmall%20no%20xc6.jpg

2. Most of the steam locomotives out there have piston valves, or are very ornate 19th century-looking things. I'm interested in making some maps of Southeastern US shortlines. Most of those, as well as several of the Southeastern Class Is, had predominately slide-valve locomotives. A smallish slide-valve 2-8-2, a medium-sized 4-6-0, and a couple medium-sized 2-8-0s with slide valves would be ideal. Examples:
rr712a.jpg
5700.1304623783.jpg
wtr223.jpg
gm116.jpg
hlc31.jpg

3. A variety of steampunk-looking zepplins. I've found some blimps and one zepplin on the DLS, but there's not enough variety and the blimps don't have the steampunk look I want. I tried making a 3d model of the Hindenburg I found online into an asset, but haven't been able to get it working.

4. There are a number of old-style steamships available, but they're all pretty small. I'd like to find something along the size lines of the United States, Titantic/Britannic/Olympic, Queen Mary (I), Queen Elizabeth (I), etc. for the same project as the steampunk zepplins. The modern container ships and tankers available seem a tad small, too, frankly.

I'm looking for a few rolling stock assets, and haven't been able to find anything on the DLS. Anybody know where I can find something that will work for these?

1. North American transfer caboose -- the "box in the middle of a flatcar" sort of thing, used on between-yards transfer jobs until the 1970s. Something like this, which is SOU XC-6 at the SC RR Museum:

I've been looking for one myself. RRMods has one, but I haven't been terribly thrilled with it (it is just older, that's all). Scroll down to the bottom of the page in the fine print. I tried to reskin it once, didn't like the results, but I've come up with some new techniques that I'm ready to try again. It is faulty, so you will need to do a bunch of repair work.

edit: There is an ATSF or SP reskin I didn't like. I just looked at this one again, and I like it.....

Last edited:
There are a number of old-style steamships available, but they're all pretty small. I'd like to find something along the size lines of the United States, Titantic/Britannic/Olympic, Queen Mary (I), Queen Elizabeth (I), etc. for the same project as the steampunk zepplins. The modern container ships and tankers available seem a tad small, too, frankly.

Do a search for Usernames coutumariee and JayHolland. RMS Titanic and Olympic are both available. Jay actually has a number of large passenger liners available for download.

Scott has released some more modern up to date transfer cabooses.

It actually is a rebuild of Flamerail's caboose that is hosted on RRMods. I found where he released it into the public domain, but unfortunately, even using the Wayback Machine, I couldn't get the original source files. (If anybody still has them and wants to pass them my way, I'd like to try making LOD meshes for them and making a non-bay window version. PM me!) Taking what was available, I repaired what was faulty with it and built myself a reskin kit for it from scratch.

Once again, a big thanks to Tyler Bishop for making them available!

If I know correctly, RRMods has a a MoPac transfer caboose
however
I haven't looked after the site rebuild
it is free and near the bottom of the MoPac route of the eagle page
-Taylor

p.s.
also last time I check USLW had a reskin of that same transfer cabosoe

I was curious and did DLS searches for smaller locos.

Turned up the following:
1. Six 2-6-0's with slide valves.
2. twenty-four 2-6-0's in general.
3. Fifty 2-8-0's in general.

You will have to take a peek at them to see which are slide valve locos but some probably are.

Ben

Back