Tram and part tramway survived the Horishima atom bomb and still runs

Yes it does have an American style about it. I was quite take aback about the tram as well having expected a thing like that in a central area to be almost dust.

Just be cautious of the BBC slant on things, they have a rather left wing/politically correct view of things despite a condition of getting our TV licence money being their supposed impartiality!

I noticed that too, but it's better than Faux News which attempts to dominate our news along with the Controlled News Network. :)

The tram and the line is still neat, and the old ones definitely look like Peter Whitt models which were so common.

John

Must say that I am not too struck on modern tv news at all whether BBC or the others. The trend to have discussions on them and discuss newspaper views is ridiculous and a complete drift from my younger days when the news was just announced without emphasising words or discussion it creating a bias.

Just a day or so ago on the news the announcer was having a discussion with 2 people on a political party hopeful leader and this would-be "expert came out with the view that the politician was right wanting the railways taken into public hands due to the poor state they were in and not doing very well. Now how crassly wrong is that one? As I pointed out on another Trainz thread there are massive increased numbers travelling on Britain's railways since the period the government ran them and way ahead of that period. Now that is known to rail fans but it struck me as a very bias and equally very wrong description. In fact the railway has more passengers than when nationalised in 1948! Since going back to the private side all these people would not be travelling if what the tv clown expert came out with. Modern news is no longer neutral.

Must say that I am not too struck on modern tv news at all whether BBC or the others. The trend to have discussions on them and discuss newspaper views is ridiculous and a complete drift from my younger days when the news was just announced without emphasising words or discussion it creating a bias.

Just a day or so ago on the news the announcer was having a discussion with 2 people on a political party hopeful leader and this would-be "expert came out with the view that the politician was right wanting the railways taken into public hands due to the poor state they were in and not doing very well. Now how crassly wrong is that one? As I pointed out on another Trainz thread there are massive increased numbers travelling on Britain's railways since the period the government ran them and way ahead of that period. Now that is known to rail fans but it struck me as a very bias and equally very wrong description. In fact the railway has more passengers than when nationalised in 1948! Since going back to the private side all these people would not be travelling if what the tv clown expert came out with. Modern news is no longer neutral.

It's the same here, Bobby. The other night a very powerful politically-controlled TV station claimed another station was too biased in the other direction, yet the station that was complaining is all a one-sided news source in favor of the party they support. Go figure.

Speaking of transit...

Our newly elected governor turned out to be scum just as I figured. He setup the transit agency to fail during the bad winter storms by not declaring an emergency and forcing them to keep their schedules even though it was impossible to do so. He fired a bunch of people, made a big smell over it, and now the truth comes out. He did this to put his own people on the transit board and he's pushing for more private contractors, meaning his buddies, even after Keolis did their usual deplorable job last year. On top of that, he's looking to cut service as well and increase rates at the same time. And just like the politicians they are, he played up how bad the MBTA is and how he made heads roll, etc. right up with the media. The news then played this up over and over as if to help his agenda.

I agree modern news serves a purpose rather than to just about what's going on, which of course isn't fun.

John

I blame dedicated news channels. There just isn't enough 'news' to fill 'em so they have to be padded with something.

As to the BBC, it seems to get complaints of bias from both the 'left' and the 'right' so I still tend to trust them more than others.

Please keep politics off here, thanks!

Well it is hard to discuss something like Hiroshima without at least a passing reference, particularly in relation to news service contemporary commentary about events 70 years ago, perhaps reflecting the apologist viewpoint. (All too common these days).

On a happier note, Hiroshima is only one of several Japanese cities which enjoy the services of an extensive tram system. The DLS has several examples of Japanese trams available to download but unfortunately rather less in the way of available routes.

Back