Trainz Won't Launch! HELP PLEASE!

Trainz is probably trying to rebuild the assets.tdx file. One thing that might speed things up is to open the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Select the Processes tab and look for Launcher.exe. If it's listed, click to highlight and select End Process. ContentManager should show using 25 cpu. Then select the Applications tab and Content Manager Plus should be running. If it says not responding, End the Process and start over. It may take some time for assets.tdx to rebuild:p .

Bob

Hi
Due to problems that I've had recently I've had to rebuild my assests file dozens of times, just click on start and wait and wait, eventualy ( with mine its about 20mins ) the page will change to the menu. Don't touch anything just let it rebuild in its own time.
Cheers
PJ

Go into your CACHE folder and find a folder named Assets.bku. Copy it and paste it into your Trainz folder and rename it Assets.tdx. Close and restart your computer. See if this will unstick it.

Last edited:
CPU: 50

Trainz is probably trying to rebuild the assets.tdx file. One thing that might speed things up is to open the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Select the Processes tab and look for Launcher.exe. If it's listed, click to highlight and select End Process. ContentManager should show using 25 cpu. Then select the Applications tab and Content Manager Plus should be running. If it says not responding, End the Process and start over. It may take some time for assets.tdx to rebuild:p .

Bob

Mine says its running at 50. And CMP nor Trainz works.

Don't work

Go into your CACHE folder and find a folder named Assets.bku. Copy it and paste it into your Trainz folder and rename it Assets.tdx. Close and restart your computer. See if this will unstick it.

But there is already a file there named 'assets.tdx'...

But there is already a file there named 'assets.tdx'...

It's even easier that you think.

1) Delete the assets.tdx file.

2) Restart Trainz.

Do not think about touching CMP or launching any other program while the rebuild is taking place. Go take a nap, have lunch, do something else while the program does its thing.

Once the menu comes back, your all set.

John

nope

K didnt help but thanks anyways. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

NOTE: I dowonloaded some stuff and thats why the game crashed.

same here, have to rebuild DB all the time. This happens to me after I try to quit Trains 2009 using Vista, it will only go back to the menu screen and when I click "quit" it freezes and I need to go to task manager to end the app. I was thinking this corrupts the DB?

same here, have to rebuild DB all the time. This happens to me after I try to quit Trains 2009 using Vista, it will only go back to the menu screen and when I click "quit" it freezes and I need to go to task manager to end the app. I was thinking this corrupts the DB?

Oh that sucks. K but I'm running TRS2006 on Windows XP. Any more suggestions?

NOTE: SP1 won install

Help

Oh that sucks. K but I'm running TRS2006 on Windows XP. Any more suggestions?

NOTE: SP1 won install

You might want to wait a few minutes for Trainz to close down rather than killing the task with the task manager. That would explain why you need to rebuild the database all the time.

The program will take longer to open and close files as the database gets bigger. Remember the content is loaded into memory to run the program and then the files are closed when the program is exited. If you prematurely kill the program, you're leaving files open and then CMP, or CM 2.0 needs to rebuild the index of the content and repair the database.

This happens in any programs regardless of CMP or Trainz. If you were to shutdown your computer without exiting your programs for example, other data files would be trashed, and the programs have to attempt to recover them if they can.

This issue has nothing to do with Vista by the way. I'm running TRS09 and TRS006 under Vista Ultimate 64-bit and the programs run fine.

John

Last edited:
Ok - launch Trainz - it will hang starting up - then open task manager, if launcher.exe is running, then Trainz has not hung, its waiting for Launcher.exe to finish rebuilding the asset database. Keep task manager open - as soon as launcher.exe finishes (it can take sometime, over 10 minutes on my pc with 3gb of content) - then trainz will continue loading.

Its all about the patience.

K didnt help but thanks anyways. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

NOTE: I dowonloaded some stuff and thats why the game crashed.
The download has corrupted Assets.tdx in some way so you need to delete this file (and the backup - assets.bku - in the cache folder) and then allow Assets.tdx to be rebuilt.

This happened to me today :)( ) and the database took over 40 minutes to rebuild, so you need to be patient. Trainz is now working again, though I've lost all my keywords. :( :( :(

Have you tried to go into the startup when you first start te comp F6 or F8 whatever it is and then click on the part that says load the last known good configuration. I have found that it gets you out of a tight spot more often then not.

Back