Trainz with "I7" CPU

thank you. you know, i actually ordered and received a 4070ti and then returned it unopened. it was $999.00 on sale, and i didn't really understand what these new cards were about. the 4060 ti with 16GB for half the price is probably the more realistic card for me. cooler running and with enough vram to carry 1440 with no sweat...?

i just ordered and received an LG 'ultra gear' 27" monitor, but, i'm returning it. searching deeper into the product it looks like the color isn't going to be true enough for photoshop work, or, maybe even with game-color-contrast either.

nicely, i can return this stuff, or simply just say no to it all. : )

thank you. you know, i actually ordered and received a 4070ti and then returned it unopened. it was $999.00 on sale, and i didn't really understand what these new cards were about. the 4060 ti with 16GB for half the price is probably the more realistic card for me. cooler running and with enough vram to carry 1440 with no sweat...?

i just ordered and received an LG 'ultra gear' 27" monitor, but, i'm returning it. searching deeper into the product it looks like the color isn't going to be true enough for photoshop work, or, maybe even with game-color-contrast either.

nicely, i can return this stuff, or simply just say no to it all. : )
If you found the 4060 for half the price I say jump on that. As far as monitor shopping goes you might want to check for compatibility with something called g-sync. It doesn't do much for trainz afaik but it can help in other use cases.

If you found the 4060 for half the price I say jump on that. As far as monitor shopping goes you might want to check for compatibility with something called g-sync. It doesn't do much for trainz afaik but it can help in other use cases.
yes, i'm focused on g-sync. i remember back in the day with earlier graphic cards tearing in exactly the way g-sync and free-sync are meant to fix. i'm thinking of the 27" asus proart monitor. My monitor, now, is an asus PB278Q, which is 1440 at 70FPS and has excellent color, but not 144 FPS -- which i'd at least like to see as a trainz experience. remembering that my first monitor was compac -- can't even remember -- CRT, and that for pro work i had a very expensive Sony CRT, both of which were as good as they were for what they were, i'd be ok living the rest of my life with the asus i have. still, life's short.

When I built my first PC (I'm a Mac guy) for '19 Early access (and other PC only sims such a Run8) I purchased a used Gigabyte GTX 1060-6 on eBay. I must say, it has served me well. Today I have a new CPU coming. Tomorrow I have a new GeForce RTX 4070 12gb to install. Looking forward to bumping up my graphics settings a bit and beinig able to play some of the more demanding graphics games.

totally exciting. i always wanted, but never could afford, a professional Mac system, and i've been building/assembling PC's since 1989, with a new graphics card every year or so... it was like that -- 8MB of vram upped to 12..., and 286 to 486 processors... monolithic hard drives on MSDOS and then came win 1. always an adventure seeing if even railroad tycoon would load at all, much less trainz... all worth it. back then, the practical thing for trainz was to build small routes of my own. and, for someone like me, a creative but conceptualist and history-minded nerd, the building of the PC itself, building its different iterations, matched route building -- a satisfying and frustrating, though wholistic, immersion in railroading and engineering, all constricted by real world hardward restraints on how far i could lose myself into another train time and place. i couldn't really play trainz as an arcade game. couldn't, because of the computers of that time, let trainz be a proxy for a slot-car racing sim -- something i think the mainline/beautiful scenery boyz were pushing for. an 0-8-0 switcher pushing a string of wood-sided rolling stock onto a siding is pretty gut-real satisfying for me. just saying, that i don't need driver's view of los angeles to san diego in trainz, as much as i want the obscure railyard in east LA filling and emptying as it did back in the day. speed trees are nice but moot. but, even for my here and there short line, and just like the UP, i want more motive power for my graphics card and more adhesion for my CPU. looks like you're building a great build.

Well, it looks like we come from a small world, Mike. I too have worked in the graphics industry and actually grew up in it. In 1988, I joined my father and brother in their graphics firm as typesetter. They needed typesetting services done reliably because they were relying on various people to get the typesetting done and none of them could come through either on time or without lots of typos. With the system they leased, they wanted someone to run it for them. By then I was working for Memotec/Teleglobe as a 2nd shift operator and found out my job was going to be phased out. The timing was perfect, and I was sent to typesetting school when my family leased a Varityper Epics 20/20 system. This system had a WYSIWYG display that displayed truly to size text. By placing a tracing of one of my dad's design layouts on the display, I could fit the type nearly exactly to his layout. It did help that he spec'd the type out too using the character counts given for the different point sizes. There was a special command to do that and I set up a type book with various typefaces at the different sizes. The system was quite powerful and capable of graphics but we never got the upgrade for Postscript at the time. That required a humongous Varityper 4000n laser film-recorder that cost a whopping $20K!

When the lease ran out, the bank didn't want the equipment and we didn't either. By then the switch to desktop publishing occurred and we couldn't afford the Varityper 4000n and moved on.

During this time in the early 90s, my brother moved from Apple to PC due to the high cost of the hardware plus the huge investment required for his software. At the time, he had $15K or more in software including Electric Image 3d modeler and animation software and none offered an upgrade path between 68K and the new G-series Power PC chips. With that, he moved on to an all-PC platform and invested in an ECRM VR30 RIP. Being an all-PC environment gave ECRM a opportunity to beta-test his shop with their new PC-based setup. Using COPS-talk and a Lino330 driver, the Harlequin RIP, running on an EISA bus '486 PC with Windows 3.1, we were able to spool jobs via an Apple talk driver, provided by Cooperative Printing Solutions, from the PCs to the Harlequin RIP and out to the imagesetter. The COPS-talk environment requires a whole new post someday due to the technical issues involved in setting that up on the RIP end.

Anyway, I moved on eventually and ended up working as a desktop publisher for a year or so for a local printer. That job was fruitless with an unreliable paycheck, and I ended up with Polaroid and their graphics imaging division as an IT support guy where I remained until that division closed in 2009. PGI later became Latran Technologies to distance themselves from the flailing Polaroid and to promote their laser ablation proofing devices. These systems were capable of 2540 dpi full-color images using real printer's ink laser-ablated on to a substrate. They output actual printed images using rosettes and dots using CMYK and spot colors just like a printer would use in a printshop. At 2540 dpi and capable of proofing down to 1/2-point, the US Government bought a few for their use. Unfortunately, the company closed during the Great Recession in 2009. Their customer base dwindled, including those in the packaging industry where they were used the most.

Like you, I've built my own PCs. I started with a PC-XT clone in 1984 and built most of my machines after that. During that time, I worked for an early PC manufacturer as a hardware tech. I did buy a '386 but that machine always had weird quirks and eventually I replaced that with my own build. I will say that coming from a hardware background to start with paid off when working on these machines. In those days, we had to run debug to configure hard disks and do other low-level things that are totally unheard of today.

sweet. a wonderful look into the industry and i learned a lot from this. dude, i love typesetting and fonts. i learned lead type setting in '58 in middle school. i learned layout in art class and my first graphic award was for a very simple and proportionately expressive, times new roman, of 'introspection', on white. way later i got to design my own double-page spreads and that was delicatessen to a food-freak.

embarrassing about my monitor: when i bought my fine asus monitor my video card didn't have anything but DVI in. later, i got my 1080ti and didn't think, just replugged DVI. Looking, yesterday at the monitor and its specs on amazon, i see that it can take display-port. had to order a display-port cable, cause i don't even remember what i did with the 1080's included. i'll see what's what when amazon drops it off, and i'm kind of hopeful. wittgenstein says he can imagine a dog being attentive, but not hopeful. arf.

sweet. a wonderful look into the industry and i learned a lot from this. dude, i love typesetting and fonts. i learned lead type setting in '58 in middle school. i learned layout in art class and my first graphic award was for a very simple and proportionately expressive, times new roman, of 'introspection', on white. way later i got to design my own double-page spreads and that was delicatessen to a food-freak.

embarrassing about my monitor: when i bought my fine asus monitor my video card didn't have anything but DVI in. later, i got my 1080ti and didn't think, just replugged DVI. Looking, yesterday at the monitor and its specs on amazon, i see that it can take display-port. had to order a display-port cable, cause i don't even remember what i did with the 1080's included. i'll see what's what when amazon drops it off, and i'm kind of hopeful. wittgenstein says he can imagine a dog being attentive, but not hopeful. arf.
My dad graduated from Museum of Fine Arts School in Boston then at the top of his class. He went on to work as a graphic designer and fine artist. In the 80s he started his own business. He used to do design work for Seagrams, Verizon, and many other companies including United Brands. Today, he's retired but still does a bit off and on.

Don't feel bad. I've done the same thing with the cables except I went out and got one and ended up finding the original that came with my 1080 Ti a few months later. Isn't that always the way it happens?

I too was in typesetting business. I was Directory of Publishing Reuben H Donnelly back when Yellow Pages were published. Came up thru the ranks. Started part time while in college pasting in fillers on pasted up pages. Made the transition to digital pages and color. Left there in 1997 and did my own thing....

wow, yes,
My dad graduated from Museum of Fine Arts School in Boston then at the top of his class. He went on to work as a graphic designer and fine artist. In the 80s he started his own business. He used to do design work for Seagrams, Verizon, and many other companies including United Brands. Today, he's retired but still does a bit off and on.

Don't feel bad. I've done the same thing with the cables except I went out and got one and ended up finding the original that came with my 1080 Ti a few months later. Isn't that always the way it happens?
thanks for that. i thought i was the only one. yeah, probably, i'll find the cable when i'm looking for an old router... MFA boston was quite the place back in the sixties. it was either there or B.U. for art... BU for painters and MFA for art.

I too was in typesetting business. I was Directory of Publishing Reuben H Donnelly back when Yellow Pages were published. Came up thru the ranks. Started part time while in college pasting in fillers on pasted up pages. Made the transition to digital pages and color. Left there in 1997 and did my own thing....
jeepers, that's a job. i have a friend who worked donnelly in the summer. that was just about hefting boxes but it gave him extra money.

That was likely RR Donnelly.. the printer. This was RH Donnelly... Sales and Page Production. But I had the opportunity to go work with the printers many times (largely in relation to conversion to digital pages). The warehouses of huge paper rolls were mind boggling! Just to see the paper needed to print the Chicago phone book was unbelieveable. And once the press starts, it doesn't stop. Keeps running even through a paper roll change. Those presses were amazing. It was impressive to see.

That was likely RR Donnelly.. the printer. This was RH Donnelly... Sales and Page Production. But I had the opportunity to go work with the printers many times (largely in relation to conversion to digital pages). The warehouses of huge paper rolls were mind boggling! Just to see the paper needed to print the Chicago phone book was unbelieveable. And once the press starts, it doesn't stop. Keeps running even through a paper roll change. Those presses were amazing. It was impressive to see.
scrutinizing yellow page graphics and then collecting business cards when i was 12, all for the looks of things. newspaper ads too. for a kid, very exotic stuff -- things i didn't understand made to be understood with images and composition. my earliest lessons. i ended up with an art MA and art history BA.

I envy people who have artistic ability. But computers gave me some "talent." Before computers I had a hard time drawing stick people. After getting a computer I could draw people beautifully! Just hold the Shift key and your stick man is not crooked any longer! :LOL:

scrutinizing yellow page graphics and then collecting business cards when i was 12, all for the looks of things. newspaper ads too. for a kid, very exotic stuff -- things i didn't understand made to be understood with images and composition. my earliest lessons. i ended up with an art MA and art history BA.
I used to look at the rosettes under a magnifying glass or later, a microscope. Little did I know that I'd end up working for a manufacturer of proofing equipment that produced rosettes using laser ablation technology even though I wasn't directly involved in the product I got to interact with the teams that worked with it in various capacities.

Using my network and server experience, I suggested that the networked automatic Prediction 2000, 1420, and 4000 proofing system products could be proofed to remotely since these systems used their own RIP PC running Solaris. A number of customers did this with modems and other network gear to allow a proofing device to be placed in another shop far from their prepress office. Another network-related technology I recommended was remote diagnostics. Utilizing SNMP and a modem, the systems could phone home to Latran, or send internal emails via the network to a support person on-site. With the remote proofing setup, this meant someone in another part of a company would receive a message when the unit had a paper jam or ran out of ink sheets.

The technology used on these proofing devices actually came from Polaroid's Medical Imaging Systems division or PMIS. These systems were the forerunners of the digital imaging we have today for x-ray and other MRIs. Polaroid's systems output x-ray images produced by an x-ray camera on to a special carbon-based black film that needed to be peeled apart. This film was then modified to a roll-form and sold as part of the Dry-Tech imaging systems. Dry-Tech film would be sent through a Linotronics 330 imagestter where there was a special peeler to pull the backing off the film. Just like in the early PolaProof, and later Prediction proofing systems, high-power 50W IR 15-micron dot lasers were used to ablate the carbon on to the sheets from the backing.

This technology was then transferred to the Graphics Imagining Division, aka PGI who produced the color-proofers. The 2540 dpi images were ripped to the Prediction where a large sheet of paper was placed on to a vacuum drum. The operator would then place one of the CMYK ink sheets one at a time on the imager to produce a high-resolution proof complete with halftones and rosettes.

Wow. Typesetting was interesting but for me it was very stressful, probably because working for my dad made me on edge. The output from the Epics was sent to their 6830 Output device. This imaged on either 6-inch or 12-inch RC paper that had to be put through a processor. Once the type galleys were exposed, my dad and brother took them and cut them apart for pasting-up on boards with either rubber cement or wax.

The Varityper Epics 20/20 system was quite powerful. Running its own variant of Unix, the system used a mark-up language plus many other proprietary things. The system used to date-stamp files right down to multiple decimal points, allowing for multiple versions in succession. This was very useful for documents and I only wish other systems had this granularity. The US printing office used Varityper Epics or Comp-Set systems because of this and its powerful pagination ability. Setting up books in the system was a dream.

I discovered the mark-up language by accident. We did a newsletter (remember those?) for the Museum of Textile History. I won't go into the evil nature of the customer, but her jobs were always a nightmare because she did them in WordPerfect, double-spaced, and everything else to make them miserable. Because this job was so miserable, I had her give me the job on disk in non-document mode. Using the tele-communications package from Varityper, we were able to import the file directly into the Epics system to save a lot of time. Well... Her jobs came in with a gazillion tabs because she used tab, tab, tab, tab, tab to center text and tab, tab, to indent text, and so many other things, to make that process a nightmare anyway.

One day, there was a glitch. I had a place in the text I couldn't edit and the job crashed on output. Using the Telecom package, I sent the job back to my PC and opened it in a text editor. There I saw the mark-up language and fixed the bug by removing some smiley face thing that was embedded in the job. Using that mark-up language, I had my sister or mother type up the jobs on the connected PC to save me time when I was busy. The codes were similar but not the same as HTML with <b> </b> for bold, etc.

In addition to the typesetting system, we also had a photo-stat camera to produce the final art for the printers prior to them making plates. Occasionally, my brother would take a photo-stat and produce plates from it. He became quite the "stripper" as he got the various parts together, exposing, dodging, and burning the images. The imagesetter pretty much made this process easier for him since he didn't have to use the photo-stats first. While setting up the films, he'd punch the holes in the flaps. We ended up with more "orange dots" all over the place including in our clothes draws. Recently, while putting away some clothes, I came across some of those! It's been well over 30 years since he did any of this and they're still showing up!

I mentioned R H Donnelly to my brother and he said, Oh I remember them. I used to send paste ups to them for the Yellow Pages! Back in those days, my dad did some cover designs for NYNEX for their yellow pages books as well, so you probably not only received some camera-ready artwork from my brother but also designs from my dad.

thanks, and zoobah. i too had my clients from jello -- 'word perfect', yes, and then 'microsoft publisher'. yes, they knew what they wanted... Thankfully, i've been able to produce books for friends and on PC and this was pretty cool. moments like squishing Optima to the page using Quark and type 1's and the for me perfect pre-open-type-variable-fonts -- i can't remember the proprietary name... they dropped them for OTF, but on quark i could get a lot of very clear, legible, text on a page... fun days of great experimentation. ( wiki: multiple master fonts... mmm )! , a great thing if you were on windows cause Macs cost four times more and change components every 15 minutes.

i like that you're a very practical and realistic person in your profession. it's as though you were a soccer player always with your eye on the game. and, i wonder what kind of train reality -- the operations, you want from your layout?

Squishing fonts brings back memories. We could do that on the Varityper very well even with the 6830. We did the advertisements and coupons for a local jarred fruit company. Flavor Fresh Fruit Salad came in a 5 lb. jar with a coupon. I had to typeset that text on the coupon that's about 4pt. The typesetter went down to 6pt. and I discovered if I set the text in superscript, the text was that perfect 4pt. size. You know the coupons went to El Paso, TX...

I used Quark a bit later and hated it because of the stupid boxes for everything that could cut text and images off if I wasn't careful or if someone went in to adjust something and bumped them. We were a 100% PC house by this point because of as you said Apple making changes. My brother got hit with a $15K upgrade due to Apple switching platforms from 68K to Power PC. At that point, he moved to the PC and never went back. I found that the Postscript and True-Type fonts didn't have the crispness of the older ones. Even at the 2540 dpi from the ECRM VR-30, there's still an edge to it compared to the old 6830 output device.

That newsletter though. The client wanted me to spell out titles and names of the donors and all had to fit in a 4-pica column width and remain on a single line. Picture some doctor couple named. Dr. George Halten-Stadt-Smith and Mrs. Alexandria Sutton-Jones Halten-Stadt-Smith squeezed into this column. I played all kinds of games to get this to fit mostly without success. It came down to cutting and pasting using the good old X-Acto knife and wax to hold the paper in place.

Thank you. Much of the practicality came from my technical experience and from my music training. I'm a classically trained pianist that made my living in the technical world as a hardware technician and later in IT and support. In these disciplines, you need to be on your ball at all times. Piano playing requires precision and perfection unlike any other instrument. In IT and support, I constantly had to think outside the box and work out processes and procedures for many tasks. Some of these processes are still followed today even a decade after I retired. With this comes the attention to details. Everything has to be checked and double-checked before being released or done and every action is rehearsed before it's done to ensure a smooth operation.

For my Trainzing it's a combination of what's plausible and what's made up. I forgive the simulator's inability to do some things due to the limitations we live with and I don't bother with some details because I know they'll never be seen. I'm not big into all the grass and stuff but do use a lot of trees and put grass where it's needed. My driving sessions are simple. I don't go crazy with interlocking towers and all the scripted things and stick with the good old KISS method. My driving sessions as are my routes are large though and the driving sessions can last hours. When I work in Surveyor, I work methodically and carefully. This is much like working on a big piano sonata or other music project and much like a sonata the process is done slowly and carefully.

I'm no perfectionist by any means. What I don't like is carelessness and it really annoys me that N3V let things go in their payware and included routes with the various versions of Trainz. Seeing objects floating about the ground without land under them irks me because it means attention to detail is missing. It's the attention to these little details that brings the route to the next level.

gnarly -- especially the x-acto. back in the mid-fifties again just thinking about it. I used Illustrator for my first ad-shop work, sending eps files to the printer. i grabbed InDesign as soon as it hit compUSA, and that meant PDF's were well integrated into the program -- my printer got exactly what i wanted and he needed to do the job. i like quark, yes, and i was only using it to set these arty books for friends.

my mother's mother was very working class, a widow, and she remarried and got a railroad engineer, a train driver. and, in 1949 i'm three, and we're going down to the train yard early in the morning and i'm seeing this guy 'howard' climb into a steam locomotive, and it just knocks me out. railroading means giant machines and jobs to do, which means i'm totally into factory/industry economics and immerse myself into the whole real world with my routes. like, when a boxcar full of stuff needs to be shoved into a factory door siding i feel its weight and mass and it still knocks me out. billboard boxcars when i was a kid next to the S.P., 40ft's full of oranges going up somewhere, and 13 GP 9's for the harvest. 'boxcars, boxcars, boxcars' says ginsberg's friend in 'howl'. were we not authenticated in 1957? as worker-intellectual arty boys into going out into the world -- 'erie railroad', 'golden grain flour'... flamed my brain.

That must've been an awesome experience growing up. I lived across the street from the Boston and Maine's Bradford yard. My dad would take me across the street to the white fence where I sat on a fire hydrant to watch the trains below being switched. My dad road the Budd Liners to Boston and they continued passed the station on to Haverhill across the street. Today, that yard is gone and has been replaced by a parking lot for Boston bound commuters and a couple of through sidings for overnight commuter train storage. We would take the train into Boston often, catching a later one if dad had already left, to go to doctor's appointments and to visit my grandmother who lived in Cambridge. Both of these additional journeys meant riding the PCC trolleys and subways. Let's say I was addicted.

My operating sessions are done with AI drivers carrying out their chores along with some through traffic. While the AI are doing their thing, I take on a train and do some switching or journey out on the mainline myself. I fill my freight with "stuff" but don't use a lot of interactive industries because I hate setting them up. The whole commodities and industry compatibility thing gets annoying way too fast. I will load coal and other open freight cars with the proper commodities and coal does get picked up and delivered to the proper destinations.

My dad used to do layouts using markers and tracing paper and also spec'd out the type for the typesetter whoever they were based on the approved layouts. All the artwork up until the early 1990s was paste-ups and boards. When we switched to desktop publishing, we used the usual Illustrator, Corel Draw, PageMaker, Photoshop and the rest of the software on the PCs. I really liked PageMaker and it's too bad that Adobe killed that. My dad used to use, and still does today, Macro Media's Freehand 10. That too was a very powerful program that Adobe killed. I used In-design a few times and I found the program to be too heavy and at times clumsy compared to the other programs. Today, my brother mostly supports the advertising specialty and screen-printing industries. He uses multiple programs including Corel Draw, Page Plus and Serif Draw. He recently got some software to trace logos and identify typefaces and some other software that automatically generates the images for film positives that he sends to various clients. The client then prints out their own films saving my brother that expense of laser film and a large format laser printer.

oh, yes, i remember freehand when it was still, what, 'aldus'? i used indesign because the honolulu printer i used used it too and knew it's quirks, if not quarks. it's really neat being reminded of the processes we were enslaved to just to get something out that we intended. but, i loved doing type-machine and letterset hand work. for some reason, fonts are totally aesthetically beautiful to me, and when i got my first AGFAtype catalog in the mail it was totally font-porn.

i rode the train north from boston once, in 67', to Gloucester, just for the ride. i don't remember if it was B&M or already MBTA. Mostly, in the day, i took the new haven out of south station. My experience with the Great Northern only lasted for the couple of months i lived with my grandma. i've lived next to tracks in california -- ventura and santa barbara, and then in upstate new york on lake champlain in '78, and that was the D&H. i lived in boston/cambridge for 17 years off and on. train tracks are sacred in my universe, so i was always aware of where they were, and would drive out to some track locations to photograph. i lived in chicago-land for a couple of years, in 70-71, and that was totally railroad exciting. if you've read 'nature's metropolis' you know what i mean. i'm out here in oregon now, for twenty years, i watch the UP when i can. the local light rail is pretty good, and sometimes -- i don't want a car and am, still, an old man and isolated, i'll ride the 'max' out somewhere just for the ride. i was just the last 30 days in vienna, austria, staying in a hotel outside town, and riding the rails and streetcars every single day, and that is a fine ride. only downside is that they too have graffiti infestations too, though for some reason the little arty kittens don't spray the actually old buildings, just the rail embankments and some warehouses. i really liked vienna, and i'd live there if i weren't so fossilized american.

Back