Trainz with "I7" CPU

I always enjoyed fonts and typefaces long before I was typesetting. I had old type books from the studio where my dad worked and I would trace off the letters and even clip-art that was in them. I did this for a school project on whatever and my teacher kept my poster. Long after I left that aspect of the industry, I can still identify which font is used and my brother will call me downstairs to identify something. His Graphic Tracer software - one I couldn't remember the other day, will take the imported artwork and identify the text if it can. The problem we have today is Adobe has those variable typefaces making exact identification difficult.

That old act of going through hoops to get stuff out sounds so familiar. The worst part was equipment not cooperating. As usual, the Kodak 4420 deep tank processor would eat the proof and the RC paper would get stuck in the developer. This meant I had to take out the mechanism and spill developer on my shoes and pants as it splashed all over the place. Sometimes, I'd be lucky and it would make it all the way through and get stuck in the wash unit. I could salvage that but not the developer or fixer. After splashing developer on my shoes, the leather shoes would literally rot away within weeks. That was back when real shoes were the norm for me - the ones made of real leather and cost $150 a pair back then.

In '67 that would have to be the B&M because the "T" took over commuter rail operations around '76. Gloucester is located about 30 miles from where I live in Haverhill up in the Merrimack Valley. The trip there takes about 45 minutes due traffic on a normal day. During the summer with tourists, it takes much, much longer. In fact, I'm only 18 miles from Salisbury Beach. We don't bother going there in the summer because the trip can be up to 4 hours with traffic.

Cambridge had lots of rail business at one time. Where MIT is located now, was Polaroid and a whole slew of other companies in and around Main Street and Binney Street. Binney Street once had a huge yard with all kinds of business. Today, all that's gone and the line between Grand Junction in Somerville and the former Beacon Yards in Alston is used for some freight but mostly as a transfer between the north and south side. I mentioned this in a bit more detail in the RDC thread.

In 1985 I did some field service work for the company that made the old Intercom terminals that Walgreens used. These were unique systems with 8085 processors and all kinds of discrete digital logic. I learned a ton about this and ended up heading out to Chicagoland to repair a batch that was sent out there. During my stay, I so happened to get a motel room at the long gone Best Western on US12 in Arlington Heights. My rooms also luckily overlooked the highway and the parallel former CNW mainline and I watched trains all night. During my 2-week stay, I did some exploring and I watched CNW freight, and commuter trains all day Saturday and Sunday.

That must've been an awesome trip to Vienna. I've seen some rail videos from there and of course that's a place I would like to visit.

nice. for me the mechanical problems were almost as bad as dealing with amateur clients... though your experience sounds much more complex and unforgiving than my simple spreads to the printer.

i used to wander down central square and over and see the rails and dream about when this was cambridgeport and an industry center. Vienna, i'm still watching youtubes of the rails and the ride into town from where i was staying. my t.v. screen is about 6 feet/ as a 50inch, and i'm pretty immersed.

Back