Trainz - Faulty asset - Anyway to fix?

Lachlan17

Hello, Im trying to install this ATSF[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva] 2900 Class 4-8-4, but i get faulty assets. [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva]I am using Trainz Simulator 2 Mac if that helps. Anyone know a way to fix it or something cause i kinda really want this loco as there aren't[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva]many ATSF Steam engines that size.
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva]
The error that stoppes it from working is
"
[/FONT]- Unable to load mesh file: 'atsf_class2900_4_8_4_shadow/atsf_class2900_4_8_4_shadow.pm' "
and the kuid is "[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva]kuid:59906:2925"[/FONT]

And happens on The Tender as well: - Unable to load mesh file: 'atsf_class2900_tender_shadow/atsf_class2900_tender_shadow.pm'kuid for that: kuid:59906:2926

Is it cause I'm using a mac?

From memory, the PEVSoft tools do not work on Mac systems.

However, if you are happy to not have shadows for the affected content, it can be a simple case of removing the whole shadow container from the mesh-table.

Shane

From memory, the PEVSoft tools do not work on Mac systems.

However, if you are happy to not have shadows for the affected content, it can be a simple case of removing the whole shadow container from the mesh-table.

Shane

Shane - the asset does not have a mesh-table. I downloaded the asset to check the problem.

One will need creating by using edit in explorer/edit config.txt. Comparing with other locomotive mesh tables will probably help in creating it.

By the sounds of it in that case, it may be an alias of another asset.

Shane

The config.txt file makes no mention of an alias so as I said earlier a mesh table without a shadow will have to be created.

Such as:

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "atsf_class2900_4_8_4_body/atsf_class2900_4_8_4_body.pm"
auto-create 1
}
}

This was created by AssetX and was placed at the end of the config.txt file.

The OP can copy and paste this into his/her config.txt file and I am sure it will remove the error.

Last edited:
Makes sense, although I'm surprised it's looking for a shadow in the first place if there is no mesh table. At the moment I'm downloading the asset to have a look at it.

Shane

Old assets, without a mesh-table, use the asset-filename to construct the names for the shadow (and other things).

Peter

The config.txt file makes no mention of an alias so as I said earlier a mesh table without a shadow will have to be created.

Such as:

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "atsf_class2900_4_8_4_body/atsf_class2900_4_8_4_body.pm"
auto-create 1
}
}

This was created by AssetX and was placed at the end of the config.txt file.

The OP can copy and paste this into his/her config.txt file and I am sure it will remove the error.

Am I adding to wrong place of the config? cause still saying faulty and is red in game.

I'm a PC user not a MAC so can't answer you positively.
However TS2 MAC and TS12 SP1 HF4 and TANE - CE have similar compliance requirements.
The original asset has a lot wrong with it that doesn't get reported at asset TB 1.3.
I've done a conversion of this asset using TB 3.7 which is a lot more stringent. Anything obsolete or invalid will cause Content Manager to display errors, and this will prevent use of loco. Tender the same.

The config below shows a defect free version.
You can ignore the category-keyword string. This is part of an automatic classification, repair and license schema I'm developing in TARDIS.

Here is a list of things that need correcting

Tag 'region" eventually becomes obsolete except for Kind 'map".
Tag 'asset-filename' also becomes obsolete, and has to be replaced with a mesh-table.
Tag 'name' is obsolete. We use 'username' now.
Tag 'origin' becomes obsolete.
Tag 'thumbnail' is obsolete and is replaced by the thumbnails container.
Tag 'train-build' is invalid due to typo and should read 'trainz-build'.
Tag 'bogey' need updating to 'bogeys' container. See format below.
Category-era requires updating. See format below.
Category-region requires updating. See format below. Note value "USA" is invalid. Should read "US".
Fonts 2 will cause problems later unless alphanumbers or digits are available for running numbers.
PM meshes become obsolete but you might try using PEVs PM2IM to convert to IM mesh.
The use of asset-filename at the earlier trainz-builds also requires a shadow mesh to be present. There isn't one. Use PEVs Quickshadows.
You will then need a mesh-table.

License has no value thus international copyright is extant.

The whole update and defect clearance took approx 10-15 secs mainly because of the mesh conversions and shadow generation.

kind "traincar"
kuid <kuid:59906:2925>
username "USA ATSF Class 2900 4-8-4 Steam Engine"
trainz-build 3.5
category-class "AS"
category-region "US"
category-era "1940s;1950s;1960s"
mesh-table {
default {
mesh "atsf_class2900_4_8_4_body\atsf_class2900_4_8_4_body.im"
auto-create 1
}
shadow {
mesh "atsf_class2900_4_8_4_body/shadow.im"
}
}
bogeys {
0 {
bogey <kuid:59906:50002>
reversed 0
}
1 {
bogey <kuid:59906:50001>
reversed 0
}
2 {
bogey <kuid:59906:50003>
reversed 0
}
}
engine 1
enginespec <kuid:59906:51000>
enginesound <kuid:59906:53000>
hornsound <kuid:59906:54000>
interior <kuid:59906:55001>
fonts 2
smoke_shade 0.3
smoke_random 2
smoke_slowlife 1
smoke_fastlife 6
smoke_height 5
smoke_fastspeed 2.5
mass 73000
company "ATSF"
cabinsway -3
description "ATSF Class 2900 Steam Engine

In 1941 the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway contracted Baldwin of Philadelphia for their third and last batch of 4-8-4's. Only the first batch had been coal burners, while the rest where oil.

No longer experimenting with 2-4-6-2 and 2-6-6-2 superheated express Mallet locomotives, ATSF chose to stick with the less complex and more dependable wheel/cylinder arrangements of the 4-8-4's.

Cylinders: 2 - 28 x 32in. (711 x 813mm)
Tractive effort: 79,960lb. (36,270kg.)
Fuel (oil): 5,830gallons (7,000 US)
Water: 20,400gallons (24,500 US)
Total weight: 961,000lb. (436t)
Length overall (including tender): 120ft. 10in. (36,830mm)
Max. Speed: Greater than 100mph (160km/h)
Built: 1941"
author "Dennis Marus"
organisation ""
contact-website ""
contact-email "mr0wizard@yahoo.com"
license ""
thumbnails {
0 {
image "$screenshot$.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
1 {
image "atsf_class2900_4_8_4_art/atsf_class2900_4_8_4_art_icon.texture"
width 128
height 64
}
2 {
image "atsf_class2900_4_8_4_art/atsf_class2900_4_8_4_art_512.texture"
width 512
height 512
}
}
kuid-table {
0 <kuid:59906:50001>
1 <kuid:59906:50002>
2 <kuid:59906:50003>
3 <kuid:59906:51000>
4 <kuid:59906:53000>
5 <kuid:59906:54000>
6 <kuid:59906:55001>
}
category-keyword "asset_x;check_alpha_numbers;check_fonts;description_localisation_deleted;kind_traincar;mesh_shadow;review_trainz-build;string-table_localisation_deleted;tbl_pm_meshtable;tbl_pm-mesh;trainzlaw_copyright;trainzlaw_credits_creator;username_localisation_deleted"

Last edited:
I'm a PC user not a MAC so can't answer you positively.
However TS2 MAC and TS12 SP1 HF4 and TANE - CE have similar compliance requirements.
The original asset has a lot wrong with it that doesn't get reported at asset TB 1.3.
I've done a conversion of this asset using TB 3.7 which is a lot more stringent. Anything obsolete or invalid will cause Content Manager to display errors, and this will prevent use of loco. Tender the same.

The config below shows a defect free version.
You can ignore the category-keyword string. This is part of an automatic classification, repair and license schema I'm developing in TARDIS.

Here is a list of things that need correcting

Tag 'region" eventually becomes obsolete except for Kind 'map".
Tag 'asset-filename' also becomes obsolete, and has to be replaced with a mesh-table.
Tag 'name' is obsolete. We use 'username' now.
Tag 'origin' becomes obsolete.
Tag 'thumbnail' is obsolete and is replaced by the thumbnails container.
Tag 'train-build' is invalid due to typo and should read 'trainz-build'.
Tag 'bogey' need updating to 'bogeys' container. See format below.
Category-era requires updating. See format below.
Category-region requires updating. See format below. Note value "USA" is invalid. Should read "US".
Fonts 2 will cause problems later unless alphanumbers or digits are available for running numbers.
PM meshes become obsolete but you might try using PEVs PM2IM to convert to IM mesh.
The use of asset-filename at the earlier trainz-builds also requires a shadow mesh to be present. There isn't one. Use PEVs Quickshadows.
You will then need a mesh-table.

License has no value thus international copyright is extant.

And a whole slew of TB mysteries solved.

Thank You, Ian.

Where would I have found this, had I not stumbled upon it here?

Follow up question: Is there anything in a 3.7 compliant config that won't work in 3.3 (my 2010 is TB3.5 but CM thinks it's 3.3). Whenever I have a faulty bit of rollingstock I usually try to drag it up to 3.7, but I use TS2010 more than TS12.

Am I adding to wrong place of the config? cause still saying faulty and is red in game.

As long as you do not use CCP to edit then you will not need all the information by Ianwoodmore which is very useful and shows what can happen if you do not use the right method to edit the config.txt file.

The lines I have given you to add to your file can be added to a new line at the end of the config.txt file. Remember to go to Edit/Commit when you are finished.

Only add these following lines:

Code:
mesh-table
{
     {
           mesh                            "atsf_class2900_4_8_4_body/atsf_class2900_4_8_4_body.pm"
           auto-create                    1
      }
}

Last edited:
So a mesh table with no entry for a shadow makes the shadow unnecessary?

Boy, do I wish I knew that before I got my hands on QuickShadows...

And that sounds like good news for our Mac brother-trainzers :)

Yea I added Code and it Worked, However (this might be expected) but the driving wheels keep spinning, even while stopped.

Probably kuid2:59906:50003:1 USA ATSF Class 2900 Engine Mid Bogey

In Mesh-table delete the lines in red
This bogey was originally TB 1.3 and was upversioned to TB 3.3.
From memory, animation is wired in code at higher trainz-builds and these tags are redundant. If left in they cause drivers to continuously rotate.

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "atsf_class2900_mid8.im"
auto-create 1
anim "anim.kin"
animation-loop-speed 1

}

Probably kuid2:59906:50003:1 USA ATSF Class 2900 Engine Mid Bogey

In Mesh-table delete the lines in red
This bogey was originally TB 1.3 and was upversioned to TB 3.3.
From memory, animation is wired in code at higher trainz-builds and these tags are redundant. If left in they cause drivers to continuously rotate.

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "atsf_class2900_mid8.im"
auto-create 1
anim "anim.kin"
animation-loop-speed 1

}

Yay, The ATSF Steam Engine is now working like a charm, Thanks Everyone who helped, appreciate it.

Thank you very much! I'll be driving this alot! =3 Your help is really good. I have fixed the problems with the tender now, heh not really I use compability mode to get it working. Cheers! - eld78

Back