Trainz ENB Series

G'day everyone!

I know this is an old topic but I have an important reason for bringing it back up and felt it was best to do so instead of starting a new thread. :)

I think this amazing tool deserves to have more awareness raised!

I have been playing around with ENB Series and have been using a GTA San Andreas setting file just like the OP, but mine produces a slightly different result which I personally prefer. I have below two comparison screenshots. The first is at 10:00 and the second is at midnight. Notice in the first comparison the difference in the smoke effects, and in the second just how more prominent the coronas on the signals are.

I would be very happy to provide the files and settings I have used if anyone is interested. :D

I am using TS2010 build 49933 but that should not matter - this should work from Trainz pre-SP3 to TS12 (but shan't be needed in T:ANE!)

Kieran.

Last edited:
Enb really only darkens colors by saturating them and increasing bloom which make everything hazy.

This setting of mine adds absolutely no bloom. It just saturates the colours a little and plays with the gamma.

I very much like the darker nights it offers; midnight in a storm is quite nearly pitch-black, just the way it should be. And it makes the coronas on things like signals and headlights stand out a lot more.

Kieran.

I wonder about the effect it has on performance. When I play Fallout NV, I use an ENB, and I used to see a pretty big performance drop until I upgraded my computer. Now it's not as bad as it used to be, but the performance hit is still there.

I also like the look of darker nights and the glow of the coronas, but that can be achieved by adjusting settings in-game. As far as the daytime settings, I think it looks a bit unrealistic in terms of just how much the colors are saturated. The colors don't really blend and the result is it looks like somebody turned the contrast up a bit too high.

I wonder about the effect it has on performance. When I play Fallout NV, I use an ENB, and I used to see a pretty big performance drop until I upgraded my computer. Now it's not as bad as it used to be, but the performance hit is still there.

I also like the look of darker nights and the glow of the coronas, but that can be achieved by adjusting settings in-game. As far as the daytime settings, I think it looks a bit unrealistic in terms of just how much the colors are saturated. The colors don't really blend and the result is it looks like somebody turned the contrast up a bit too high.
The performance hit for me is very little to none, depending on the route of course. If the route lags to begin with then it will lag more with ENB, if it doesn't lag without then it should not lag with it either, at least not with the settings I am using. If you are using a colour palette or any other files such as *.fx files, then the lag will be a bit more noticeable; Ambient Occlusion also seems to produce quite a bit of lag but the setting I am using does not include any.

I would like to know how the darker nights can be achieved without ENB; I certainly could not find the right in-game settings.

The daytime setting is a matter of personal taste. It is possible to make ENB have any visible effect only at nighttime, but I like it during the day as well as things do not look so pale and washed-out; I especially like what it does to the locomotive's black textures.

Edit: I just tested out ENB on a couple of routes. On Avery-Drexel I got about 46fps without ENB, and it dropped to 26fps when I turned it on. I tried a smaller route, Anyplace (small British-themed one-baseboard line from the DLS) and the reduction was zilch, i.e. full 60fps all round.

Kieran.

Last edited:
Back