Trainz Cascade Division Development Needed - Paid Gig

Malcolmkeithley

I am producing a full-length documentary about America's deadliest avalanche disaster.

In the late winter of 1910, a relentless blizzard trapped two Great Northern Railway trains, bound from Spokane to Seattle, in the rugged Cascade Mountains. Six days of frantic efforts to reach the passengers and crews failed. Early in the morning on March first, an avalanche one-half mile wide and fifteen feet deep crashed down from the mountainside during a thunderstorm. It swept the trains off the tracks, killing 96 people.

A Trainz Route RAILROAD SCENIC DIVISION 1893-1900 matches the location of the train route from Leavenworth, Wa to Skykomish, Wa, the route where the story took place.

I am seeking someone who can edit the route to replicate the scene as it would have been in early March, 1910. Most of the terrain would have been covered in deep snow. This is a paid gig. Please get in touch. with me so we can discuss details. I am simply not up to speed with Trainz Simulator to take on the task myself.

Please reach me at mekeithley@gmail.com or 509-679-8756

I would like to start immediately. Thanks you.

No spam. I am still looking for help. I think it should be a fun gig for someone who is adept at Simulator. Instead of flagging for possible spam, why don't you just pick up the phone and give me a call or shoot me a text? Malcolm

Last edited:
Fair enough. Since your last posting, Funnnyfarm has released the rights to his route, but all of my warnings hold. It is only partially finished, and the surrounding mountain terrain breaks off at edges of baseboards, so there is very little finished-looking terrain anywhere on the route. I will say that I think he did a great job on what he finished. From what I can see on Google maps, the area around Wellington, WA may be adequately finished depending on the exact location, but the summit is composed of several switchbacks (May have been prototypical? But I also see an old tunnel portal next to Wellington?), and east of Wellington to Everett almost nothing is done but the track layout. That being said, best of luck to you. If I was retired I might try to join your efforts, but that is not the case at this time...

Very interesting. Thank you so much for bringing me up-to-date about the route. I've been trying to get in touch with FunnFarm, all to no avail.

There is adequate information about the area to complete the route - we aren't going all the way to Seattle, just to Skykomish. Remember, the whole area was covered in deep snow. See here for more information https://spark.adobe.com/page/tmwi61VR1Si9N/
I am also working with a firm that will be using the Trainz Route to create a Twin Morion scene for moving the cameras, creating weather, etc.
Hey, would this take so much time that you couldn't be convinced to help out? At any rate, thanks for the information. I'd appreciate your continued attention and conversation as I am a real novice with Trainz.

Very interesting. Thank you so much for bringing me up-to-date about the route. I've been trying to get in touch with FunnFarm, all to no avail.

There is adequate information about the area to complete the route - we aren't going all the way to Seattle, just to Skykomish. Remember, the whole area was covered in deep snow. See here for more information https://spark.adobe.com/page/tmwi61VR1Si9N/
I am also working with a firm that will be using the Trainz Route to create a Twin Morion scene for moving the cameras, creating weather, etc.
Hey, would this take so much time that you couldn't be convinced to help out? At any rate, thanks for the information. I'd appreciate your continued attention and conversation as I am a real novice with Trainz.

if you want an animated avalanche that would be a very hard ask, the sim doesn't really lead itself to that type of activity , scenery is pretty much static, although a skilled 3d user with animation skills might be able to arrange something. However, if you cant get permission from the maker to use the route , you can more or less forget about using it in any commercial project unless they have waived their rights..

Hi Dangavel. FunnnyFarm did relinquish his rights in a post similar to Dave Snows, and that post is in a sticky somewhere that I helped get created, but now I can't remember where it is. It is for posting just such releases. I will look for it and post the link here. Interesting history at your link, MalcomKeithly, I look forward to looking at it more when I get time.

Thank you very much. I hope that will get me in touch with FunnyFarm. If I can get rights it may save us quite a bit of time. Construction of man-made elements are underway now. I appreciate your time.

I replied earlier, but it must not have posted. I am working with skilled 3D artists and I hope we come up with a highly realistic render.

Hi, do you have any idea about reaching someone that might be interested in working on this project? I think there must be someone that is experienced that would find this interesting, but I just haven't been able to find them. Thanks for your time! Malcolm

Hi, do you have any idea about reaching someone that might be interested in working on this project? I think there must be someone that is experienced that would find this interesting, but I just haven't been able to find them. Thanks for your time! Malcolm

Use the private message system.

Click on Notifications in the upper right corner of the forums.

Click on Inbox.

You can then create a new private message, send to a single user or multiple users. It's pretty easy to use.

I read a book about that disaster or a very similar one that happened in the same region and during the same general time period. It was a book I'd borrowed and don't remember the title. It largely focused on the passengers trapped inside and their personal stories. I don't know how you'd pull that off with a simulator, but it sounds like a fun project.

Hi - We are basing the the film on two books: Vis Major by Martin Burwash, and The White Cascade by Gary Krist. Both books are recommended reading if you are interested in America's worst avalanche disaster and the events and people surrounding the story. We are using Twinmotion and Real Engine to create the environment, elements and weather. Yes, it is challenging. I am still looking for someone to assist with the Trainz Simulator production of the Cascade Route. We are using it for some scenes potentially, but primarily to guide the 3D artists. - Malcolm

Back