Track Through An Engine House

cassidyj68

I am trying to place an engine shop (specifically, the built in "JR 2 Stall Car Shop"), but I can't get the tracks to go through the building so I can drive the locomotives inside.
The tracks end at the front door of the structure. I'm not sure about the sequence...should I lay down the two parallel tracks first, then place the building on top of them,
or should it be done the other way round?...place the structure first, then pull the tracks through it? Thank you for any advice!

There are a couple of ways. One is to place the track and everything else that is going to go inside the building first, otherwise surveyor will always want to focus on the building and it will be very difficult to move or place anything. The other way is to move the building into a layer, but I am not experienced with layers.

Place the structure then put the tracks through the doors. It'll prevent you from going insane.

If you want to add details inside the engine house such as barrels and workbenches, that's where the layers come in.

I don't use a lot of layers but I do use one called HOLD !!! quite often.

This layer is locked and to use it, I access the properties on the asset I want to lock by clicking on the "?" on the object menu and then clicking on the object. Located in the upper right corner of the properties window is the layers where I choose the one I want to use.

When I'm done fiddling with the objects, I then redo the steps again to move the object to the HOLD !!! layer and move it back to the route-layer.

When first creating the new layer, make sure to click back on the route-layer in the layers panel, otherwise your objects will end up on the wrong layer which can mess things up.

Back