TOPSIG Round Robin Sessions!

-update voided-

Kinda disappointed in the, what seams like, lack of interest here.

Last edited:
1-31-13 Update!

Did a little playing around and found a nice little route that might better suit TOPSIG for the time being. The major flaw with MRL is the lack of people. I need at least 10 people on at any given time to get every thing run right. When I do have crews, there is never really any interaction between them. So while MRL will stay in the hopper for TOPSIGRR (Trainz OPeration Special
Group Round Robin), I'll be taking a look at shorter routes. Any thing in the 20-50 mile range.

And that leads me to this route, The Indiana Western by MSGSaper.
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...ana-Western-TRS2010-thread-(with-screenshots)

*****Warning: Not a layout for low end graphic cards*****

Re-live the glory days of railroading with this 1950s era route! The Indiana Western is a fictional Class I sub-division of a major railroad set in the Midwestern corn belt heartland of the USA. It has approximately 32 miles of double tracked mainline with double crossovers, a 4 mile power plant loop and a 12 mile single track branch line. This layout is very detailed with a lot of scenery touches to give it an authentic mid-west 1950s feel. This layout is a greatly updated, re-designed and enhanced version of the original May 2007 layout of the same name by George Fisher (AKA gfisher) and with his permission. My thanks to the original author for allowing me to do this! Lots of scenery and attention to detail so this layout will require a computer with very good graphics handling capability. Thank you to the many third party creators who make routes like this one possible! Setting is the 1950s during the late steam early diesel era. This is a multi-seasonal layout courtesy of mcguirel’s UltraTreez and UltraTextures.

My hope is that with a smaller route there will be a better chance of player meets, thus making the session more interesting. Also with a smaller route, trains/tasks wont seam like huge jobs. A run from yard to industry and back will only take an hour or so, rather then 2-8 hours.

Now this session will have specific train orders, as operations will be interesting. The first one, that is set in stone is the interchange. There is no coal mine, and no oil wells. Thats where in interchange comes in. Staged there are loaded coal trains and oil trains. Empty oil and coal hoppers, as well as some loaded freight cars then head back to the interchange.

Other then the interchange train, there will be one transfer train to the branch line yard. There will be at least 2 main yard jobs and a branch line crew. But other then that, every thing else will be locals. Locals will serve blocks on industries along the main line. Ill have a full list of industries as well as train orders and yard switch lists posted before the session is started.

The official TOPSIG session for the route should be done and to the DLS by Monday.

In this case due to the new route chase, I'm more interested then ever to attempt to join a session then. Looking forward to it!!

actually I second this, sense I have became more busy with work I don't have all those hours to play trainz. So this would be perfect 50 mile route or so.

I have been working on GN1996 Thompson & Western Route and got all the INDs working Good.
It a MP session too.
I will be willing to host it.
I also have some documents on it,if jib give me permission i'll put them his TS brower.
The route is 100 miles long main line,3 yards lots of INDs,Passenger Service.
Lot of switching.
The longest main line haul is about 80 miles one way.
It is a power station ops (no coal to the Power plants no INDs will load or unload in that town.
I have placed rollen stock at each IND to be loaded or unloaded to show what each car loads what and what each
IND productes & Comsumes.
My though was that player joining will choose a driver then pick a town (1 of 13) then put his driver into a loco in that
town, load & unload the cars,than collect them,move to a road engine(s) and bring them to the neerest yard.
There they will be sorted into trains to difference locations.
There 1 main line local that picks up and drops off cars at places along the main line from Noxon Yard To Thompson Yard.
I'm sure with the ones that play the route with me and the ones that play MRL we should have at least 12 player.
Just let me know which ever way you choose.

The session for Indiana Western has been sent to the DLS and should be available soon. Before we start the weekend long session, I will post the switch lists for the yard crews, and train orders for the locals.

What is the date of the Indiana Western Session? Due to the fact that I don't have an FCT, it takes me forever to download this particular route and session. Even when I first got MRL it didn't take this long. Fortunately though, the route is very visually pleasing. Needs more mountains though. :p

This weekend. The session will start some time late Friday afternoon. Ill post when the session is up, as well as switch lists then.

Obviously not, as it's in the midwest.
Please note I was being sarcastic and full well know that there are no mountains in Indiana. The emoticon at the end of my statement noted the sarcasm at which I am so fluent.

Meanwhile, thanks for the heads-up Jib. Hopefully I will be able to get all of the dependencies rounded up by then. I saw that MSGSapper has updated the route so hopefully that won't interfere with your setup and cause things to go awry. You might look into that if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Please note I was being sarcastic and full well know that there are no mountains in Indiana. The emoticon at the end of my statement noted the sarcasm at which I am so fluent.
Yes, I was aware of that. I answered anyways to try and continue the sarcasm, a little bit. ;)

Unfortunately I will not be able to join the session for about four hours due to the fact that one of the downloads did some funny business. Now I have to complete download it again. Unfortunately it is about 50MB in size and will take about forvever to download.

After that though, dibs on the GN RS-3, lol.

I dowloaded the Route and took a look at it. It,s actually quite a pleasant looking Route with a number of Industries. The main disapointment for me was the commodities. I got the overall feeling that something was missing in what was otherwise a route with potential. For example, Valero Refinery processes Crude Oil but where does it come from?. All I could find was some tank cars loaded with Crude. The same thing with the coal. And I never could work out where the Corn Oil goes or where the Potatoes go. Nor was I overly impressed with the numbers and types of Locomotives given the maximum number of players allowed in the session. Again I was left with the impression something was missing. Perhaps I missed out a chunk of the Route? This is not a session that I feel inclined to play.

Last edited:
I too was not impressed! After spending a 1 1/2 hours DLing finding all the dependences & finding that the session was not running.
I did a flyover to see where thing were. Took a loco pick up a choose then a string of cars drove to Vincennes Feedmill
CO-OP, coupled to some boxcars to load them and only one boxcar loaded,checked the IND to fine it was set up with only 20 products.Now i've run across this before and can't understand why a IND that load something is not set up to MAX production so that IND don't run out.(unless the session is set with power station rule)(2) Why have pigs as a product if the stock cars are not setup to load them?If you do a instant load command the stockcar will load with cattle.(why not start with cattle not pigs?)
These are a few things that need to be looked at to make a better MP session.These are a few things i found and mabe these will be look at and fixed befor the next session.

I do believe that when the route was updated, the industries gotta little wonky.

And no Colour, you didn't miss any thing. If you too the time to ask before writing off a session, they have off route destinations. Unlike UMR where every thing has a destination, IW interchange's with another railroad. This railroad drops of loaded coal hoppers and tank cars with crude oil. It also picks up empty hoppers, empty tank cars, potatoes, and meat. Now because this cant be simulated in an MP session, I stage enough coal hoppers, and tank cars loaded to last the session. The session is not meant to be run for 7 days, but only a weekend. There was enough coal in all those hoppers to last the power plant for well over 4 days of operation.

But as I said, the update to the route may have mess things up. Id work on an update, but there seams to be little or no interest right now form enough people, in multiplayer sessions in general, to warrant me even making it. If there where more interest in multiplayer sessions, like there was last summer, then things might be different. But as it is, I dont think there are enough people who know what they are doing or who are interested in operating. And when I say operating, I dont mean running trains like on UMR.

Last edited:
I too see where you are coming from.(where is all the MP people?)Had my session up now for 22 hours and only one person joined me.
Every body was asking for multiplayer and now that we got it, no one want's to play/join. (WHY)Is it because of the server going down and we have to start all over again? I have tried to make GN1996 route as MP as i can with a lot of difference things to do,made sure that ALL INDs worked,stations worked,no missing switch levers & cars that load all products.Made a list of what INDs load what and where the products unload,a list of cars and what they load,Othern then putting ProtoLars INDs the rest of the route is as proto type as can be.All cars come to the yards(3) for sorting and put into trains to other locations & i have not got enought people to get the first faze done.
What more can (us as MP host) do to get more people to join????

I think school is part to blame. Many of our players where of the younger crowd. Most of them are in school on the weekdays and dont have time to download a route/session. I think once spring/summer hits we might see an influx of mp players.

Back