Three tributes in one! (All NYC Subway Fans please read)

freightcar2

Here are three tributes I wrote to the R32, R40 and Redbirds.

Introduction:

This year, 2008, is possibly one of the gloomiest years for the New York City Subway. :( It brought (and is still bringing) "reefing" for several members of the Classic NYC Subway Cars group: The Redbird(s), The R32 and R40.

Redbirds:

The "Redbirds" of the NYC Subway were really the R26, R28, R29, R33 and R36 car classes on the IRT (numbered lines). They were extremely hard to tell apart except for the unit numbers and the windows. All the Redbirds were in married pairs except for the R33WFs, which are dual cab units. Now nearing 40 years of service, the Redbirds are being slowly retired due to the influx of the R142s and R142As. They're being sunk into the Atlantic Ocean for "artificial reefing" (it is presumed asbestos inside the cars will harm collectors and tourists if they are preserved in museums and sold to private collectors but it won't harm fish). Luckily, a few Redbirds are being kept for work service. One of the features on the Redbirds was the half-width cab, which allowed a passenger to stand at the front window and see the view the operator had. This is not possible on the newer trains. I have not rode on any NYC Subway cars, but seen all kinds of pics of them, and they have become a favourite. 2008 means "Say 'Goodbye' to the Redbirds". We are all extremely saddened by their "reefing".

R.I.P Redbirds. :'(

The Tributes to the R40 and R32 are going to come when they are "reefed". While we wait for that terrible thing to happen, enjoy the last of them.

A ton of Redbird info is avaible at:

http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpnycpics/redbirds.htm

The bits not in italics were taken from the page.

Redbird fan FC2

The redbirds have been gone since 2004. Its time to get over them and fcus onthe R32, R38, R40s/m, and the R42 class cars. Those are on the way out right now!

Haven't we already got a thread about Redbirds?

Yes, but this is a tribute to them, as well as the R32 and R40S

The redbirds have been gone since 2004. Its time to get over them and fcus onthe R32, R38, R40s/m, and the R42 class cars. Those are on the way out right now!

Yes. I know they've been gone since 2004, but I can't seem to get my mind of them. :eek: And there should be tributes to the R38, R40M and R42 once they are reefed. Same with R32 and R40S.:wave:

Back