The Canadian Thread - Hi-Res images

Michael, what happened to your other routes? Just too much for your computer to handle? I sure hope they DO work in Tane.

The computer isn't the problem. TS12, as I drive along, loses things. LIke large patches of Treez which leaves hillsides bare, hillsides which I know were covered in trees. Driver has got to an unacceptable level of stuttering, pausing and lurching. The cpu usage (quad core @ 3.5 Ghz) is between 19% and 22%. I've never seen it go higher. Some of the individual cores go, briefly, as high as 45%. (29 Gb free ram, GPU around 45% and a 265 Gb SSD) The problem is not the hardware.

All the best on your new route! Sounds like a real monster! Well, get on with it! I'm 63, I'd like to live long enough to see the finished product! Keep sending us updates. If I depart before you finish, at least I'll go with a smile on my face from looking at your screenshots!

Cheers....Rick

<hehe> I'm 75 and I'd _really_ like to see all three finished. I'm toying with the idea of starting a thread.

Well my friend, back to it. Thanks for the comments!
cheers,
--Michael.

Sorry to hear that your routes aren't performing in trainz 12. From what I gather about TANE, it should be able to handle more stuff and bigger stuff as well. Regardless, I would kindly advise you to break it down into chunks. Perhaps into 3 or 4 sections, so as to save your sanity, optimize your time (in making backups), and optimize/help the AI accordingly (I read somewhere that too much AI can really bring down a route's performance, so in sections this could help). I say this because I know you do something right when you do it and don't want you to feel overloaded. A 60 km has done that to me for quite sometime...

Either way, looking forward to what you make! ^^ Good luck!

BTW, you mentioned that the trackage comes from the National Railway Network which has TransDEM compatible ESRI shape files. Could you be so kind as to share the link to that site? It would be very handy!

Sorry to hear that your routes aren't performing in trainz 12. From what I gather about TANE, it should be able to handle more stuff and bigger stuff as well. Regardless, I would kindly advise you to break it down into chunks. Perhaps into 3 or 4 sections, so as to save your sanity, optimize your time (in making backups), and optimize/help the AI accordingly (I read somewhere that too much AI can really bring down a route's performance, so in sections this could help). I say this because I know you do something right when you do it and don't want you to feel overloaded. A 60 km has done that to me for quite sometime...

Either way, looking forward to what you make! ^^ Good luck!

It's my demand for scenic beauty, realism and micro detailing that kills Trainz. In the E&N from the Victoria Station, the draw distance -carefully measured - is 900 metres. Yup 900 metres NOT 5000 metres as Trainz thinks. A single building, eg The Parliament building is 49,000 polys. So to keep from crashing Trainz scales back the draw distace, and to reduce the asset pop-in-and-out. I point blank refuse to reduce my standards because of inadequate software.

BTW, you mentioned that the trackage comes from the National Railway Network which has TransDEM compatible ESRI shape files. Could you be so kind as to share the link to that site? It would be very handy!

start here... http://geogratis.gc.ca/api/en/nrcan...:series)geobase-national-railway-network-nrwn

More later on the route.
cheers,
--Michael.

It's my demand for scenic beauty, realism and micro detailing that kills Trainz. In the E&N from the Victoria Station, the draw distance -carefully measured - is 900 metres. Yup 900 metres NOT 5000 metres as Trainz thinks. A single building, eg The Parliament building is 49,000 polys. So to keep from crashing Trainz scales back the draw distace, and to reduce the asset pop-in-and-out. I point blank refuse to reduce my standards because of inadequate software.

start here... http://geogratis.gc.ca/api/en/nrcan...:series)geobase-national-railway-network-nrwn

More later on the route.
cheers,
--Michael.

I hear you and I know others feel the same way as well. Technology has come a long way since the first JET engine, and with the revamp, 64 bit processing, multi-core support, etc...I'd like to believe that some of the issues you mentioned will become minimized/non-existent. Personally, I've always found it hard to find dense routes that I love. I think it's because of the polygons in total in some scenes, some objects which were poorly optimized, and for many objects, a lack of LOD that can cripple even strong computers. Some of the best I've seen are very sparsely detailed in rural regions and part of that is due to the limitations of the engine, or so I tell myself (good luck filling a big yard with eye candy rolling stock). Let's cross our fingers in the meantime...

Thanks for the link BTW! I think I have always downloaded it via their server. I can't imagine you getting google earth tiles for your whole route (that's a LOT of data!) but I can't recommend them enough (second to none in knowing where trackage is)

Looking forward to later! ^^

Morning guys; Working on Lawrencetown Beach..... for some reason it's taking forever. Thought I'd have a little fun and call it a day.

A TIP FOR TRAIN SPOTTERS. Stay alert! Sometimes it's easy to get distracted.

Cheers ... Rick
rickf77_20140717_0000.jpg~original

oh yeah this is actually Canadian

Slowly taking shape. Just acquired some JVC trees, I hope they are what I need for this route.

Tacheeda lakes and locomotive storage tracks

b32cc69104d15879c5429c819515c88e.jpg

Next to Tumbler Ridge, area is visible on google street view.

1989b7e1f94b6e3214390928fd52a040.jpg

Morning all;

Oh my gosh, sorry about that D! That's me on the far right......the guy giving a standing ovation!

Have no fear Ben, a boxcar full of chairs is on it's way! That IS what you wanted, right?

In case you don't know, all the people and chairs are by lotharhake. He sure makes some fine looking stuff!

Looks like ATSF854 has started something great! I can't say I'm happy with the "Glare at CN Rail" thing! (Hee, hee!)

Cheers all, no route building for me today, gotta help with the house cleaning. Man, I'm never going to get that beach finished! ... Rick

CPR Eastern British Columbia circa 1950s

Well, the easy part is done. I have a route! I underestimated the size etc., 15,834 baseboards. 1.14 Gbytes I don't know what size the cdp would be because Trainz died a horrible death whenever I tried to make one.
Because I could :eek: I included roads and stream and rivers. The mapfile.trk is 107,587 KB (cf Norfolk and Western, a built in route, which has a mapfile.trk 8,032 KB)

I have included a picture snapped at Slocan Station:

CPR2-10-2atSlocanStation_zps5bfaecac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm done with Trainz for today.
cheers,
--Michael.

I'm already smiling! I'm sure the CP fans must be as happy as the CNR ones. That is one impressive looking steamer, and really nice passenger cars. It should be very interesting watching you work on this mega route! Don't let it take over your life! I put in an average of 10 hours a day (I think that's true), everyday, for 8 months the first time I did my route. It's an easy trap to fall into! This time I just don't have same energy.

Cheers ... Rick

Boy, I'm a moron! I replied to this yesterday. I might have sent it off to the wrong thread or just forgot to hit the Post Quick Reply.

Before TS12 even showed up in my mail box, I had decided that I was going to also order TransDEM and build myself a CNR steam era route. That was almost 2 years ago and even then it was hard to find any Canadian steamers. Thanks to guys like Michael, things are really looking up!

Yes, my friend, lots of great steam shots. Isn't it great!? Hey, wait a minute...are you saying there are too many great steam shots? That could NEVER happen!

Cheers .... Rick

now now Rick *pats on back* lets go to tims and have a coffee and thing about the mighty route to hell with the modern would steam rules.

Good day to you D! Looks like a fine one so far. I'm on my third or fourth coffee, just about ready to barf! I'm glad you are here. I'm having a devil of a time with Lawrencetown Beach. I don't think it's those babes distracting me, I don't have the heart to ask them to leave!

Anyway, what do you think of my "beach waves and seaweed"? I can't find any "brownish" stuff that would do as seaweed. I found some texture that might do as waves washing the shore. If you or others know of anything better, let me know. I was going to try and raise a line or two of land off shore to make some rollers. It was not good!

I never know what the day holds in store for me. The wife might be going to the shop, wherever she goes, her lap dog must follow! I would say, if you like, try this: whenever you are in the area of the shop, look in the front window and see if the open sign is on. If it is, I'll most likely be in there. 526 Pleasant St., just before you reach the refinery. Be careful, you might leave with a big honkin' tattoo!

Cheers ....Rick
rickf77_20140720_0000.jpg~original

Well, if YOU fellas like it, it must be OK! When I get back to it, I'll find some more junk for the beach. No telling what the tide might wash up!

Alright you 2, as a reward for your input, I would like you to go to another part of the beach (post #1041). I'm sure those so called train spotters have moved on. Do you see those poor young ladies? They forgot to bring anything to lay out on. If you bring a nice big towel, I'm sure they will be happy to share with you. On second thought, perhaps a VERY small towel would be more cozy! Hmm..I'd take a face cloth! Good luck!

Thanks guys.....cheers....Rick

Back