The 15th Anniverasy of Amtrak's Worst Accident.

I think the surviving loved ones of those killed

probably remember that day unwillingly. Maybe they cry over a picture of those they lost, maybe they self medicate until the day passes. Maybe they go to a cemetery and pray, or lay a wreath or some flowers or both. I know I would.

Maybe the survivors feel overwhelming guilt and deal with it however they can. Maybe the rescue workers and rail workers and doctors and nurses feel the sadness from that day and try to shrug it off to keep doing what they are trained to do.

I'm just guessing of course, but they all share a bond formed by that disaster.

I don't, and it would be wrong of me to try to join in by "observing" or "celebrating" an anniversary of such horror and sorrow. It would be like crashing a funeral and pretending there is some significance to me in the date. All those people who have suffered more than I can imagine deserve my respect and prayers...at a distance. They belong to an exclusive group, and not by choice.

I choose NOT to watch something on "You Tube" out of morbid curiosity as a way to show my respect for those that were really touched. It's their history, I have no claim to any of their heartache, and God willing will never know what it is like.

Plus I would like everyone here to remember the lives lost. This thread should basically a tribute to the lives that were effected by this tragic event.

I agree with Euphod. This shouldn't be a morbid celebration of the anniversary. Yes the sentimate added as an afterthough is nice, but it is a little too late to look like anything but an afterthought.

Back