Target Layer Invalid

jeffmorris

I get "Target Layer Invalid" when I try to place trackside objects on track. I found out that I placed track on wrong layer. How can I fix the problem?

That error usually occurs when you have the track in a layer that is not at the top of the Route Layers group and are attempting to add a track asset (e.g. a signal or switch) to the track while you are working in a layer that is higher up the list.

I always place my track and all track assets in the very top layer (which is conveniently named route-layer) of the Route Layers group. That avoids the problem. The only exceptions I allow are track triggers and track markers which I often place in a layer in the Session Layers group.

The only way I know to fix that is to merge the incorrect layer into the route layer

I think you can just hover the affected Tracks, using Get Track "G" then hop over to ? on that Toolbar, and hit Properties, it will bring up the Asset Properties showing which Layer it is in, Click on left < and assign it to Route, it should work?

I use Layers all the time now, and every so often, I'll get the exact same message when I trying to delete something.

Hope this helps, then you won't have to lose your Layer on Merging option. :wave:

I had to click on each track splines and trackside object, click on Properties, and change layers to correct one. Make sure that you're on "Route Layer" before working on the route.

I had to click on each track splines and trackside object, click on Properties, and change layers to correct one. Make sure that you're on "Route Layer" before working on the route.

Glad to hear,

Sorry to hear all the work you had to do correcting it.

It happened to me a few times, and had probably 15 Assets that were in Buildings Layer instead of Route, the tip off if you will, me trying to move or delete them, and nothing would happen, that's when I got the bright idea to check the properties, and realized what had happened. ;)

On the good side of things, Layers are very beneficial for keeping things separated in an organized way. :wave:

I wish that there is a way of selecting all objects on wrong layers and changing to correct layers much like bulk object replacement.

I solved it by selecting the layers and then locking them. I tried repositioning the locomotive. A popup appears showing which level you want to unlock. Select the appropriate level.

Back