Stolen Horns @ TVRM.

SR6900

Southern Steam Railroader
It appears that a Nathan P3R2 was stolen off of the Gulf & Ohio engine that runs on the Hiwassee River Rail Adventure at Tennessee Valley Railroad. It has a large chunk missing on one of it's bells. They were stolen on or around 6/25/2008. Here are some photos of the horn on the
locomotive a couple of weeks ago...

http://thefireman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=928287
http://thefireman.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1227065

Please notify your local law enforcement if you see them. Please keep an eye out
on ebay and at your local Railroadiana shows. Thanks in advance for your help!

Maybe they steal it bit by bit until they have the whole loco. Its a bit like when collect things.

I'll keep an eye and a nose out, but I doubt I'll sniff em out on here. Try asking Euphod.

Bernie :wave:

Maybe they steal it bit by bit until they have the whole loco. Its a bit like when collect things.

I'll keep an eye and a nose out, but I doubt I'll sniff em out on here. Try asking Euphod.

Bernie :wave:
:hehe:
Radar did that is M*A*S*H. He took a jeep piece by piece and sent it home. Maybe this is the Train version of that. :hehe:

I'll keep an eye out but Nobody in West Virginia needs a horn that bad.

What metal are they made out of? Copper theft is becoming rife at the moment. Here in the UK we have even had the bronze plaques off war memorials stolen, presumably to melt down for the raw material.

Steel horns, were I to guess...

I bet it's an enthusiast with no qualm about stealing, there's plenty of those waiting to eviscerate anything historically significant that gets left in the downtown area. (We brought a Baldwin 2-8-0 from across from the Amtrak station to Calera back in 2000 or so, and the cab has been completely stripped, leaving only to butterfly doors, grate shakers, and johnson bar.)

Probably some avid automobile enthusiast wanting to upgrade his car and blast the Hell out of slow moving motorists.:hehe:

I thought about doing that to my old Subaru, but then I moved up to a just as old but a hell of a lot nicer BMW, the Idea died. You just dont ruin a BMW with something like that.

Myabe a hand-held version....hmmmm

Probably some avid automobile enthusiast wanting to upgrade his car and blast the Hell out of slow moving motorists.:hehe:

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :hehe:

On a side note, it's probably some person who's too poor to afford a car and steals pieces until he has a creation that looks like a sludge-hammer on the head of a robot attached to an empty train tender. :D :hehe:

Actually, I think the engine was stored out there in the middle of the woods somewhere out there on the Hiwassee.

Well the solution to this problem (Locomotive Horn Theft) is to use 4 different types of bolts on the horn mount. That's how we keep our horns from being stolen of our locomotives at the railroad museum I work at. We use One Hex, one Allen, one torx, and then one ferry cap screw. But on some of the horn's we just used tamper proof torx bolts. Then we welded tabs up over the tamper proof torx bolt(s), and at least on strap over the manifold. All this seems to prevent horn theft on our loco's, but once or twice a year we find loose bolts on the bells of our horn's. This isn't from vibration, as you can see the wrench marks on the bolts.

Or you could use anti theft bolts. Then, using a special bolt that requires a special tool on 2 of the 4 bolts, then welding tabs over the remaining 2 bolts to prevent the standard bolts from being removed. That's how Trans-Texas Rail and the UP do it.

tee hee you guys will never guess what I---errmm what happened to it; ya what happened to it.

peter

I was thinking about getting one myself.

Check out: http://www.hornblasters.com/

LOL. The cell phone use on the highway has got to end somehow. I almost got hit the other day while an idiot was texting. :( I reported him to the state police when I made it into work, but I don't know the outcome of the situation.

Back to topic. This is sad, and I'll keep my eyes open up here in New England. I doubt the horn will make it this far.

I've got it...

I think this is the same guy who vandalized the D&H Sharks! He's secretly been stealing locomotive parts year after year until he finally has enough to build his own! :eek:

Actually, I think the engine was stored out there in the middle of the woods somewhere out there on the Hiwassee.
I've been to that area where the train is stored, I've also been to Etowah[have you seen the inside of that L&N caboose?] and its no surprise to me, I mean you can't leave it in a place like that you need someone to guard it.

Back