Steam Locomotive Wish List

nzld

Found some unusual steam loco's, some even made it into limited production.

Would love to see these on the rails.

2-10-10-10-10-10-2 Baldwin Quintuplex ( 1913-1918 vintage )
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com
click link on main page " Unusual Steam Locomotives "

Wopsononock Class YNOT 2-4-6-8-10-12
Designed to help straighten an inward slipping horseshoe curve
http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/bw-apoc4.html

We will never see these loco's in real life and the one's that did make it have been scrapped along time ago. It would be great to see them live again in the Trainz world.

Cheers
nzld

Just a heads up from past experience, "wish lists" are sometimes not appreciated by content creators.

Last edited:
"wish lists" are often not appreciated by content creators, or anyone else for that matter...

Give the guy (or gal) a break. I for one don't mind seeing "wish lists". Especially if they have interesting links to train web sites that I haven't visited before.
This chat has just expressed that it would be great to see something like those Loco's on the web sites in Trainz's.
It's not a demanding Thread/Post and I think he/she has expressed them self very politely. (What does slightly agony me is when someone says "or anyone else for that matter").
I don't remember content creators - THE COMMUNITY - giving you there OK - to speak on their/our behalf... (word like; "some of the community" or "most" or "alot" or even "the majority of" may have been more appropriate)...
Sometimes there are treads from creators for "wish lists" - "idea's lists)" - particularly "wish lists" that offer fresh new idea's, rather than the same old, same old !!!!

For eg; This recent "Loco request list" thread got 122 posts & 2321 viewings; http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=39420 - so it blows your "or anyone else for that matter" theory out the window...
Happy Trainzing.
Cheers, Mac...:p

Last edited:
Thanks for the support Mac,

If it wasn't for wish lists a very large portion of content may have never made it Trainz.

Trains like the Wopsononock Class YNOT 2-4-6-8-10-12
have a history, this loco was put into service to try and stop the horseshoe curve from slipping inwards.

This loco also at the hands of a new engineer derailed on track 4 of the curve turnning right and covered the remaining tracks with wagons and manuer, almost destroying the monument and just missing a loco on another track.

I believe everything we have or achieve, started on a wish list.

Cheers
nzld

Found some unusual steam loco's, some even made it into limited production.

Would love to see these on the rails.

2-10-10-10-10-10-2 Baldwin Quintuplex ( 1913-1918 vintage )
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com
click link on main page " Unusual Steam Locomotives "

Wopsononock Class YNOT 2-4-6-8-10-12
Designed to help straighten an inward slipping horseshoe curve
http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/bw-apoc4.html

We will never see these loco's in real life and the one's that did make it have been scrapped along time ago. It would be great to see them live again in the Trainz world.

Cheers
nzld

These sort of complex steam locos that take a fair amount of time to build aren't quite my first choice of content to create but with the plans on the web site links they look interesting.

Creation has always been research, textures and mesh creation. It depends on the model but quite often the research bit takes a fair chunk of time. The general advice that I've seen in a number of books is to spend more time on the textures than the mesh.

There are two rough parts to building the model mesh, the loco which is just a collection of 3D shapes and the bogey / con rod bit which is more complex. Paul Hobbs has done a Blender tutorial on building a loco and for simpler locos he has the GMAX script that builds the wheels with con rod you just need to pump the numbers in like how many wheels and their sizes.

I think it's probably worth an attempt. If some one wants to try putting a Blender model together I or some one else could assist on the config.txt file etc.

Cheerio John

I wasn't trying to give them a hard time. I was just giving them a heads up and remembering the last time I saw a wish list:eek:. The person who made the last one I saw (didn't see the one you linked too) kind of got jumped on.

I suppose the shortness of the post could be seen as reprimanding, but that's because I was kind of short for time at the time of the post. I apologize for how it may have looked.

Last edited:
Hi John,

I know it would be a daunting task, but i think the end result would be stunning to look at on the rails.

nzld :)

I wasn't trying to give them a hard time. I was just giving them a heads up and remembering the last time I saw a wish list:eek:. The person who made the last one I saw kind of got jumped on.

I suppose the shortness of the post could be seen as reprimanding, but that's because I was kind of short for time at the time of the post. I apologize for how it may have looked.

No worries, be happy.

I don't have the skills to make them myself, hence the list, if even one person reads it and thinks oneday it would be worth a shot to build one, then the thread has worked.

nzld

Hi John,

I know it would be a daunting task, but i think the end result would be stunning to look at on the rails.

nzld :)

It's not that bad. Clone a loco, then start off with a cube in Blender, drop a texture on it, add in a.limfront, a.limback, a.bog0, a.bog1 export it. Copy the .im file into the cloned folder start up Trainz and let her run.

That's the hard bit. Now to make it a bit more loco shaped you just add a few more cubes or cylinders in Blender then reexport it.

Paul Hobb's tutorials are very good but it helps if you do the video tutorials in the wikibook Trainz first http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz under asset creation, blender.

Cheerio John

Back to school

Creative Idea's I must say.
Perhaps you should learn GMax or Blender, as Paul's post shows, you have to pay for the good stuff.:)

I found Paul's tutorials, have downloded all but Lithunwrap i get the error code listed below.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PUBLIC, expecting ']' in /home/seriousc/public_html/files/download.php on line 40

The learning starts today, just as well i'm on 2 weeks holiday from work.

nzld :confused:

I found Paul's tutorials, have downloded all but Lithunwrap i get the error code listed below.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PUBLIC, expecting ']' in /home/seriousc/public_html/files/download.php on line 40

The learning starts today, just as well i'm on 2 weeks holiday from work.

nzld :confused:

Try Blender I don't think you need the lithunwrap with it. The texturing bit of GMAX used to drive me up the wall.

Cheerio John

Back