Stainless Steel Cars

Does anyone know where I could find some stainless steel cars besides the ATSF super chief? I only want a dome, baggage and anything on a business train. Thank you.

I would highly recommend Pweiser's stainless steel New Haven coaches, but the set doesn't include a matching dome or baggage. In TRS06, there were some nice Canadian Pacific stainless steel coaches, including matching domes and a baggage car, as built-in assets. I'm unsure if they were built-in to your Mac version, though.

landlvr made a full California Zephyr set, I think, but it's not available on the DLS. Fortunately, he has given permission for them to be distributed via email from whoever has them to whoever requests them.

Last edited:
I don't want to use my personal email for this, but I might get a trainz email in the future for email-only assets. Also, would railroads ever use RDC's as a locomotive, pulling regular coaches?

Last edited:
I don't want to use my personal email for this, but I might get a trainz email in the future for email-only assets. Also, would railroads ever use RDC's as a locomotive, pulling regular coaches?

The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA) did this in the early to mid-1980s when the then Boston and Maine (B&M) took over the commuter rail operations from Conrail as well as ran the Northside themselves. By then the B&M was operating the largest fleet of Budd RDCs in the world, and were having difficulties finding replacement parts. During this time it wasn't unusual to see trains made up of RDCs from B&O, PRR, CNJ, CN, CPR, B&M, the Susie-Q, Erie, EL, LV, New Haven, and even the Boston and Albany. The "T" put the aging fleet through a series of rebuilds that removed the transmissions, which were having major problems, and kept the engines on the roof for A/C and power. Other RDCs became regular coaches as well which can be seen in the link below.

To this day, there are still many. many depowered RDCs found on many short lines and tourist operations as these cars were auctioned off when the T replaced them with the new Horizon cars.

To really make these trains complete, you need to run them with an Easter Egg on the front. This is a Paducah Shops rebuild of old GM&O E and F units to the F10s which ran in push-pull operation with these trains.

This one which shows both...

http://www.bcoolidge.com/MBTA Commu...oaches, South Station, Boston_8_797Edited.jpg

John

Last edited:
Your link isn't workin for me Jcitron!

And here I was all kinds of curious about an F10 and why it might be called an easter egg? <.< lol.

@Meow
Just use a garbage email if you're worried about it. But honestly, as long as you only share the email via PM with one person its no big deal. Thats how I got Landrvr's CZ set.

Falcus

Southern Aurora on the DLS. Search NSW SA

icons_aurora2.jpg

It's standard gauge (the majority of the tracks in the picture are Broad gauge 5'3)

Jamie

Ok thank you everyone, Jcitron, the loco in that picture is how a locomotive should look! Also, on a related note to depowered RDC's being used as coaches, the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway uses old depowered RDG EMU commuter cars as coaches.

Queensland State Railways purchased Stainless steel cars diesel hauled in suburban service they were designed to be converted into EMU sets but never were.

On the subject of depowered RDC's, the Grand Canyon Railway somewhat recently acquired some depowered RDC-1's and I think an RDC-2 converted to a -1.
Here's the -2 to -1 converted unit.
4622253466_64633c97c1.jpg

And here's a couple of normal depowered RDC-1's.
pictures%5C26041%5CDSC03344.JPG

Budd planned the RDC coaches and they were never meant to be pulled by a locomotive. All the units were powered, including the rare RDC-9. An RDC unit was badly damaged during the trials of the PRR K4 #1361. A friend of mine explained to me that the frame of the RDC was never constructed to handle the great pulling and pushing forces (draft) associated with being in a locomotive hauled train. Hope the Grand Canyon Railway doesn't ruin their RDC's.

On the subject of depowered RDC's, the Grand Canyon Railway somewhat recently acquired some depowered RDC-1's and I think an RDC-2 converted to a -1.

Pics removed...
Here's the -2 to -1 converted unit.
And here's a couple of normal depowered RDC-1's.

These most likely came from the MBTA when they sold off the big fleet of coaches. Like I said, they went everywhere.

John

On the Australian transcontinental line east to west there are some converted RDC's used as a travelling motel / crew car allowing swaping and resting the crews on this line as there in no place to stop
11846132516_4f63a763f2_z.jpg

The poor crew are riding right behind the fuel cell that is used to top up the locos as there is no where to stop for diesel either.
5675127708_4e785f9759_z.jpg

Last edited:
Another Aussie example was the NSWGR South Coast express that was an Budd RDC unit train- when the RDC's failed and aged the power units were removed and it became diesel hauled
Budd+1.jpg

nla.pic-vn4540222-v

6031423019_89314e5bbe_z.jpg

The units behind the Budd's are other examples of de-engined Australian RDC's
Many of these units then went on to be used as crew cars as per my posting above

Last edited:
These most likely came from the MBTA when they sold off the big fleet of coaches. Like I said, they went everywhere.

John
Actually, the Grand Canyon bought them off Caltrain, but I wouldn't be surprised if Caltrain got them from MBTA with how big the fleet was.
If I remember correctly, the GCRy bought 14 units. Not sure if that was the entirety of Caltrain's depowered RDC stock.

@marinemania
If that's true, I'm surprised the frames hadn't failed yet. With their design and age, coupled with their previous usage on commuter trains with Caltrain, I'd figure they would've worn out already, what with the constant acceleration and deceleration involved with commuter trains. Especially if they came from MBTA, which would mean more years of depowered commuter service.
But, they could've altered them in some way to hold up to such use.

Back