Southern Pacific diesel era routes?

shebashetan7

Morning everyone, I have a large collection of Southern Pacific, Rio Grande and Cotton Belt diesel units from Jointed Rail and other vendors. They span the years 1960 until 1997 - SP merged with Union Pacific on September 11, 1996.

Does anyone have ideas for TRS19 SP5 compatible layouts that may suit SP/D&RGW/SSW diesels? I am aware of Tehachapi and Cajon as the two main ones set in Southern California. Any other layouts that could represent SP trackage? Thanks. :)

Morning everyone, I have a large collection of Southern Pacific, Rio Grande and Cotton Belt diesel units from Jointed Rail and other vendors. They span the years 1960 until 1997 - SP merged with Union Pacific on September 11, 1996.

Does anyone have ideas for TRS19 SP5 compatible layouts that may suit SP/D&RGW/SSW diesels? I am aware of Tehachapi and Cajon as the two main ones set in Southern California. Any other layouts that could represent SP trackage? Thanks. :)

The Bear Creek and South Jackson by Horace Fithers is a great route, as is the Washoe Valley route from Trainz Forge. The BC&SJ is available on the DLS.

The Bear Creek and South Jackson by Horace Fithers is a great route, as is the Washoe Valley route from Trainz Forge. The BC&SJ is available on the DLS.

BC&SJ works pretty good too! I got that one, it represents the Shasta line and other SP trackage in NorCal and Oregon. I've also reskinned three SP diesels of my own - speed lettering GP40-2 and B30-7 from the 1990s, and a Cotton Belt GP40-2 with SP Roman font lettering "SSW" on the bloody nose. WVRR is more of a steam route but it can work for SP steam.

It feels good to have the main SP roster from JR down, supplemented by units from RRMods, Sufferin Pacific, Trainz Forge and the DLS.

Realistically [and not speaking historically], any route can be Southern Pacific era so long as the route is between 1865 and 1996. The Mojave Subdivision Route is heavily in the Southern Pacific Era. In fact, it ties to Southern Pacific, Union Pacific, Santa Fe, and Burlington Northern. If UP is on it, then SP was on it. Regardless, you could always make a route yourself if you want to. It doesn't have to be perfect, just a route to run SP power on. I have made my own route that practically allows any railroad to operate on it, even if the railroad is not of US or Canadian origin.

I recommend the following for Espee action:

Mojave Subdivision
Lone Pine Branch
Leadville Subdivision
Coal Country
The Innter Kohn Necktion Railroad Route
Kickstarter County
Kickstarter County 2
Eagle River Railway Route from JointedRail
Shortline Railroad
Brazemore Yard
Fall Harvest Nebraska
Centrella Subdivision

Those are good picks! All TRS19 compatible content, even if they got a price tag on them and Trainz Plus not being for me. Centrella Subdivision seems the most appealing route besides Mojave. I'd probably wait until there is a sale for these items.

Those are good picks! All TRS19 compatible content, even if they got a price tag on them and Trainz Plus not being for me. Centrella Subdivision seems the most appealing route besides Mojave. I'd probably wait until there is a sale for these items.
Where is the Centrella Subdivision route available from? I am interested in finding out.
Thanks.

I like to be realistic in my route choices but keep it loose and not strictly adhere to any actual historic trackage of the SP as big realistic routes for Trainz, even modern times, can tend to be limited. Rather I try to find routes that would work as stand-ins for SP's lines in the Midwest, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, Texas, Lousiana and the first transcontinental railroad from 1869, known as the Overland Route. Historic routes like the Mojave are always welcomed too.

+1 to the Centrella Subdivision DLC, that's a really fun route to play on. Probably best represents the Pacific Northwest out of all of SP's regions

Roscoe Snyder and Pacific is a nice little Texas short line that I have used MoPac, Katy, SLSF and UP Alcos and Geeps on. Sante Fe wouldn't be out of place and I am sure you could run some EsPee locos too. Time frame is 70s and 80s.

I love Bear Creek and South Jackson by Horace Fithers though the series of patches for TRS19 have left things that need fixing on the route. I've had to replace a road asset that sunk below the ground and mess with the heights of track spline points to fix a part of the mainline that also sunk in East Breton. It's a nice long, very scenic route using many newer assets otherwise. The patches just haven't treated the route well.

Back