Slow Work 122431

rhban

I have complained before about the long time it takes to smooth ground under track, and I think we worked out that it was a Mac only issue. In the meantime, I discovered I had been trying to build a route using constantly changing beta builds - no wonder it was puzzling!
Anyway, back to Trainz Plus now, but for a long time I have been building a large number of sidings, scrapping them when it didn't work out quite the way it was in my head, and starting again, but now finally I have begun on real route building, and to my horror, I find that raising the ground level is just as clunky as the smoothing.

Before, it was almost scary how quickly the ground moved - I would have to set it to lower than 10% to get any real control, but now, even setting it to 80%, the ground movement is so slow, I have to zoom right in to check that I have made any difference at all. I feel as though I am trying to create a mountain with a pick and shovel.

Is this yet another Mac thing?

I have complained before about the long time it takes to smooth ground under track, and I think we worked out that it was a Mac only issue. In the meantime, I discovered I had been trying to build a route using constantly changing beta builds - no wonder it was puzzling!
Anyway, back to Trainz Plus now, but for a long time I have been building a large number of sidings, scrapping them when it didn't work out quite the way it was in my head, and starting again, but now finally I have begun on real route building, and to my horror, I find that raising the ground level is just as clunky as the smoothing.

Before, it was almost scary how quickly the ground moved - I would have to set it to lower than 10% to get any real control, but now, even setting it to 80%, the ground movement is so slow, I have to zoom right in to check that I have made any difference at all. I feel as though I am trying to create a mountain with a pick and shovel.

Is this yet another Mac thing?
It's not just a Mac thing. Try adjusting the sensitivity setting for your topology tools. There's the dial in Surveyor 1.0 and the slider in Surveyor 2.0. I usually raise up the sensitivity when I want to raise or lower land quickly and sometimes when I am smoothing terrain. I find adjusting the speed up when working with large ground areas and smaller when doing finer detail. My suggestion is you play with the tools and find the settings that suit you.

Thanks. Where would I find this slider? i.e. I haven't noticed it so far, although it's true I wasn't looking.

In Surveyor 2.0, it's located in the Tool Options palette and becomes enabled when you have the brush selected and ground height in the pulldown selection box below. You can either type in the percentage or scroll the little arrows on the right of the sensitivity selection.

Back