Skip already installed assets

VVMM

Trainz Scripter/Developer
Hi all,

A long time ago in Trainz 12 there was a dialog box asking whether do you want to skip or overwrite assets when installing a CDP file.
Now in TANE and TRS2019 the assets get automatically overwritten and remain open for edit until you manually commit or revert them.

Is there such an option to skip already installed assets when importing content or cdp files?
If not, why did this option get dropped? It is a real pain to install multiple CDPs with duplicate assets (such as multiple routes dependencies which may be duplicate) and then to revert them back. It takes a loooot of time and effort...

Thanks,
Mihai

Anything overwritten will be in open for edit, just reverting them to original is as good as it gets now unfortunately. I just select all and revert to original.

Unfortunately no, and we agree that would be a nice options to have.

When I install a lot of content from CDPs I open up a Content Manager window with Open for Edit filter showing. As I install each CDP, I revert anything that shows up at the end of each install.

I see, unfortunately the biggest problem here is the install time of a CDP. Skipping all would be done in a jiffy, just overwriting all each time takes a lot of time...

I see, unfortunately the biggest problem here is the install time of a CDP. Skipping all would be done in a jiffy, just overwriting all each time takes a lot of time...

I agree. The alternative is to wait until all the CDP's are installed, and I've done this as well, then revert the opened for edit ones at the end.

In a way this is a safety net for those who are not aware of the content they are installing. If we restore CDPs from another Trainz install, we risk writing over similar KUIDs with different assets, and end up destroying routes and other things we've been working on.

I was thinking that perhaps with all the cloud-connections these days, Our own KUIDS, could be listed up on the My Trainz account. The purpose of this is every install of Trainz we have, the modern ones anyway meaning T:ANE and beyond, will be aware of our KUIDS and will automatically skip over those that are used.

Here's a good reason why this is important.

In TS12 I had a KUID assigned to a road I modified. I imported this road into my T:ANE install because I needed it as a dependency for a route I imported. So far so good... The problem was when the asset showed as open for edit, I reverted it and I ended up with a building in place of the road all over the place! The reason is the same KUID in T:ANE referred to a building and not to the road as it did in TS12.

If My Trainz was aware of our KUIDs and assets, then it never would have allowed this and automatically skipped over, or prompted with a message. "Are you sure you want to overwrite "Modern Art Museum <kuid:124863:1000100>" with YARN Road 2L Dirt <kuid:124863:1000100>"" ?

If all versions were aware of our own KUIDs, then they would all automatically assign a new KUID in the list as referenced in the My Trainz cloud rather than locally.

Back