Similar thoughts about build 122431

rhban

It seems that with the new download, just about everything useful has been removed from my asset list. I began, not by laying track, but by trying to establish a river bank. Only three of the most useless retaining walls appeared in the list where before I had about a score of them. And, when I tried to download some from DLS, the game wouldn't let me. I have a valid First Class Ticket, so what is going on? I think I'll leave this alone till the next incarnation appears.

What worries me is: Has everything that I downloaded for my unfortunately single, lost route been deleted? I may perhaps not need all of it again, but it took me a long time searching DLS for some of those assets and a long time downloading them. Will this happen every time there is a major upgrade or is it simply because I had ended up with no route of my own on record?

I'd recommend a database repair. Developer menu -> Database repair.

Might also be worth doing an extended one, which from memory is done the same way but hold the CTRL key down when select the repair option. Takes longer, but does a more thorough job.

What worries me is: Has everything that I downloaded for my unfortunately single, lost route been deleted? I may perhaps not need all of it again, but it took me a long time searching DLS for some of those assets and a long time downloading them. Will this happen every time there is a major upgrade or is it simply because I had ended up with no route of my own on record?

Oh, and something that's been bugging me for a while: are assets that begin with <kuid2: updated for the latest versions or not?

I'd recommend a database repair. Developer menu -> Database repair.

Might also be worth doing an extended one, which from memory is done the same way but hold the CTRL key down when select the repair option. Takes longer, but does a more thorough job.

I really thought I'd done that. I've got in the habit of doing it regularly, but I will try again.

It seems that with the new download, just about everything useful has been removed from my asset list.

Is this a new download or an update? If it is a new download you need to change the path in Trainz settings to your old data folder then do a DBR. A new install creates a new data folder and that may be why assets seem to be missing.

Oh, and something that's been bugging me for a while: are assets that begin with <kuid2: updated for the latest versions or not?

Not necessarily. This was introduced around TS2009 or TS2010.

The KUID:2 format was developed to better handle asset-versions.

Prior to this, assets were updated by entering in a new KUID into an obsolete-table in the config.txt file.

This had issues because assets could be superseded by people who wanted to mess with others, and there were a number of them in the past, and also this method was prone to typos. Typos that caused assets to totally change to something else such as a Textile Mill becoming a canal lock when the KUID was unintentionally typo'ed with a 68 instead of an 86.

With the new KUID:2 system, that was resolved and allowed 126 possible versions per asset using the same KUID with the only thing changing is the version number or suffix found after the right-most colon.

Prior to this, assets were updated by entering in a new KUID into an obsolete-table in the config.txt file.

This had issues because assets could be superseded by people who wanted to mess with others, and there were a number of them in the past, and also this method was prone to typos. Typos that caused assets to totally change to something else such as a Textile Mill becoming a canal lock when the KUID was unintentionally typo'ed with a 68 instead of an 86.

With the new KUID:2 system, that was resolved and allowed 126 possible versions per asset using the same KUID with the only thing changing is the version number or suffix found after the right-most colon.

That is a shame, as it means a whole swathe of the most useful assets are still unusable.

Is this a new download or an update? If it is a new download you need to change the path in Trainz settings to your old data folder then do a DBR. A new install creates a new data folder and that may be why assets seem to be missing.

Changing the path sounds a bit scary. It's hard enough tracking down where it hides the folders on Mac.

I think the KUID2 system arrived with TRS2004.

Here is the bit of the expanded manual for TRS2004:

14.1 KUID System
Whilst you should not need to know much about the KUID (or Koolthingz
Unique IDentifier) system, it is a term you will come across if you start
delving into the world of custom content. A KUID is simply a way of
identifying content for your TRS2004 software. Here is an example:
<KUID:43750:12345:02>
The first part of the KUID (43750 in this example) identifies the content
creator, so all content from any particular author will have the same first
set of digits. When you register at Planet Auran, you will be given a unique
content creator I.D. that you can find in your User Profile.
The second set of digits is the unique identifier for a specific asset from
the author.
New in this edition, there is also a third number. This is the item’s version
number and is used to allow Content Creators to update their creations
without having to introduce a new KUID.

My copy of TRS2004 has plenty of KUID2 items installed.

Last edited:
I have found a new problem with this update: I can no longer find a water layer. From the left hand menu, the nearest thing I can find is Presets, which seems to include a couple of scrapbook scenes I made in my now lost route. On the right hand side, under the paintbrush, I can find scrapbook and tufix-river, but my choices appear to be limited to increase/decrease intensity - ie nothing about water height level. I have clicked and pressed just about everything without finding anything about water levels.

I have found a new problem with this update: I can no longer find a water layer. From the left hand menu, the nearest thing I can find is Presets, which seems to include a couple of scrapbook scenes I made in my now lost route. On the right hand side, under the paintbrush, I can find scrapbook and tufix-river, but my choices appear to be limited to increase/decrease intensity - ie nothing about water height level. I have clicked and pressed just about everything without finding anything about water levels.

Without knowing your starting point (e.g. an existing route or starting a new route on a blank baseboard) or your experience at setting Water Effect Layers, here is what I do.

On a blank baseboard in a newly created route there are no effect layers (TurfFX, Clutter and Water). You have to add them yourself or load them from presets you have created (and saved) from an earlier route.

To add a Water Effect Layer from scratch, do the following:-

1. Left click on the + symbol next to the label "Effect layers" in the Layers Palette.
  2. Give the layer a name (e.g. Water Test) and select Water from the drop down "Effect Type:" list
  3. Enter the colour codes (e.g. Red = 0.000 Green = 0.500 Blue = 0.750) for the water layer.
  4. Click the link Apply and then click the Tick.
  5. The layer will be created, by default, at a height of 0m throughout the baseboard.

To paint the water effect layer:-

1. Select the Brush Tool and set the Brush Target (the top drop down box) to the water layer "Water Test" and the Brush Action (the second drop down box) to "Set Height".
  2. In the Tool Options Palette set the height to 5m (or 5m above the current terrain height).
  3. Start painting.

Last edited:
Without knowing your starting point (e.g. an existing route or starting a new route on a blank baseboard) or your experience at setting Water Effect Layers, here is what I do.

On a blank baseboard in a newly created route there are no effect layers (TurfFX, Clutter and Water). You have to add them yourself or load them from presets you have created (and saved) from an earlier route.

To add a Water Effect Layer from scratch, do the following:-

1. Left click on the + symbol next to the label "Effect layers" in the Layers Palette.
  2. Give the layer a name (e.g. Water Test) and select Water from the drop down "Effect Type:" list
  3. Enter the colour codes (e.g. Red = 0.000 Green = 0.500 Blue = 0.750) for the water layer.
  4. Click the link Apply and then click the Tick.
  5. The layer will be created, by default, at a height of 0m throughout the baseboard.

To paint the water effect layer:-

1. Select the Brush Tool and set the Brush Target (the top drop down box) to the water layer "Water Test" and the Brush Action (the second drop down box) to "Set Height".
  2. In the Tool Options Palette set the height to 5m (or 5m above the current terrain height).
  3. Start painting.

Thanks. I thought I was doing that, but obviously not. I have taken a screenshot of your instructions and will apply them tomorrow.

Back