Signal Spacing

xeno

Hi,
Can any one tell me what the average distance between UK signals is? Network Rail are not very helpful.

Cheers

Distance between signals.

There is no set distance as such. It all depends upon the (lengh of section working), and that in turn depends upon the density of traffic movement, the proximity of junctions, sidings, platforms, stations, motive power depot's etc..
All these factors have changed over the years since the railways have been downsized a lot, and since the introduction of automated signalling and the terminating of guards on goods trains. Why even the signal boxes are now built without windows, that's if they are still called signal boxes?
Ken. ( ex B.R. signalman)

Distance of a section.

In the old days, the distance of a section was from the home signal to a quarter of a mile past the starter or advanced starter signal.
All that will have changed by now of course.

The tables defining the signal spacing for UK could be found on the Railway Group Standard website (http://www.rgsonline.co.uk). The documents are in Railway Group Standards > Control Command and Signalling > Railway Group Standards
The document is called GK/RT0034 : Lineside Signal Spacing.

Hope it helps

Marc

Thank you for the replies :D
I'm been getting the information together so that I can finish building the Glasgow area and get it uploaded to the DLS.

Again, thank you

Paul

Signal Spacing.

I suggest it all depends on which era of train operation you wish to model?
If you wish to model a scene depicting the steam days of 1940s and 1950s for example, when there was no automated signalling, or colour light aspect signals. Then the siting arrangements of signals would be totally different than what they are today.
There were also other major differences in train operation during the period I've mentioned, as compared to todays modern system.
Anyway, best of luck with your venture.:)

Back