Signal Spacing

boleyd

There seems to be a maximum distance allowed between signals. If it is exceeded the program will slow a train to half-speed until a subsequent signal is encountered. Is there a treatment of this subject in the Wiki. I can see a real railroad using something like this if a train sees a signal with No Lights so the slow until a functioning signal is encountered. But this spacing thing seem to be a contrivance to tell the customer to decrease signal spacing. I can find no information on this in the wiki. A Signal Spacing search gives me the recommended distance between parallel tracks. Is this specification published somewhere?:eek:

Also, I never have taken notes on anything, relying on memory or logic to produce answers. I tried to take notes late in life and it is a mess. So I rely on published information. :eek:

It is documented somewhere, but from memory the distance is about 25km or 15 miles. On one of my routes there is a distance of more than 100km which has no signalling and uses train order working prototypically. I interspersed invisible signals to overcome that same problem.
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
You say that but you dont recall the previous posts you have made here on seemingly the same subject and what was told to you then.

max distance any track object can see with a gstracksearch is 32768 meters. if the object you search is beyond that you wont find it, ergo any signal objects must be between this limit to function with each other. Then combine with that the typical trainz behavior is to slow an AI to half speed when it may have to stop ahead.

we covered this here: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?113019-Max-Distance-For-A-signal-To-Detect-Occupancy

I recommend just pasting things into the Microsoft OneNote that comes with Windows. Easy to paste anything and then it is there. I have a whole tab just for Trainz. It includes pictures and videos and I can look things up easily.

I have a folder in my documents filled with text documents with various Trainz Tech stuff and how-to documents.

Signal spacing in real life is based upon a number factors including the number of trains that are going run on the line, length of the trains, and running speed. I learned this when I took a transportation engineering class ages ago. If a train is very short and the block is long, this will slow down service because the short train in a long block will occupy the block for too long. This is a similar situation with very long trains occupying multiple blocks.

For Trainz purposes, I use the built-in since day one 2000T US coal consist and use that as a moving ruler. Using Type 05 (Permissive signals) I place a couple of diesels on one end and where they are I place a signal down. I then slide the consist along and place another. More recently, I've been doubling the length of that consist so I can run longer trains. This allows multiple trains to ride within the block since a block and ride the yellow signals until a train ahead leaves that section.

I'm not a hundred percent sure but I think typical spacing in the real world is about two miles between signals. That is what I use on my routes. That may be changing as trains are getting longer these days. At least in the US trains can be over a mile in length or longer. I uploaded a consist called the mile long train to the DLS some time ago for the purpose of making it easier to determine where to put mile markers using the method John stated above.

Jack

Using track charts and google maps for my Powder River Basin route or my Crawford Nebraska route one and a half miles to two miles seems to be the standard.

Using track charts and google maps for my Powder River Basin route or my Crawford Nebraska route one and a half miles to two miles seems to be the standard.
half mile spacing of signals was Prior to PTC and 2 Mile spacing is the new standard for PTC because the trains are getting longer and longer every day.

I meant 1 1/2 to 2 miles. Not a 1/2 mile. One of these days I'll learn how to describe things better of what I'm wanting to describe. Whom I kidding:confused:?

What do you think the spacing might have been back in the late 1800's for signals in the US ? Something tells me it was from station to station and station agents would be notified by telegraph if there were problems ahead. Anyone's input is appreciated.

Back