Show off your reskins!

Blah, blah, blah...

@Southern1581 What a beautiful pair! Your C&O Atlantic and that gorgeous Observation Car are quite lovely. I'm very glad you said "almost certainly will not see release". Allow me to encourage you. :D (should she have three axle bogies?)

Thanks for sharing in any case.

Thanks for the compliments! The base observation is from the K&L Polar Express set (hence the near certainty of it remaining a private skin) and came with the two axle bogies. (it's also quite literally one of only two heavyweight observations that I have been able to find which were freely available) I actually had the same thought as you and attempted to put a 3 axle truck under it, however the fit was just a little too tight and it didn't quite work out, so I put the original bogies back under it.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have much trouble dealing with the issue of releasing baggage, coach and sleeper car reskins; whitepass' models are freeware and not proprietary. Maybe you could repaint the built-in CP Canadian streamlined set to create some streamlined C&O Washington equipment.

Oh yeah I know that, I was referring specifically to just the observation car. I actually haven't been able to find anything in the way of heavyweight sleepers in the tricolor scheme, so I don't have any planned unless someone can find me some reference photos to work from. I am actually working on the baggage cars/REA baggage/baggage express/whatever as we speak, just finished redrawing the rivets on one of the sides and I'm making sure everything lines up before I copy it all over to the other side.

The A-16 is based on trainboi1's SP A-6? Atlantic which is available on the DLS. I removed all the writing from the cab by using the selection box in gimp to select a patch of color next to the letters/numbers, pasting it over and over until it was all covered, then blending it all until it is more or less a seamless look. This keeps any baking that might have been there fairly consistent. After that I did the exact same process on all of the numberboards. Once that was done, I am now free to put my own numbering in on top of it. The front of the smoke box was originally painted silver and was noticeably lighter than the rest, which doesn't really match with the C&O look. To that end, I darkened it, and then applied weathering and especially lots of soot until I got what I think is a pretty clean match. I also desaturated the red window frames and darkened them to match as well, as I thought it looked a little odd for what I was creating. From there, the tender was straightforward, that was an undec tender from trainman7616's 2-10-2 pack. I got a nice color sample from the tender, used it in the color to alpha function in gimp, which gives me a detail layer, and then put another layer underneath and made it that same color so that effectively nothing changes except the layering. I then apply my lettering to a transparent layer in between these two layers, so it sits on top of my base black color, but the rivets and other details will sit on top of my lettering so I don't lose the detail. After all that, save and commit and you're done.

Reading Archroof Coach-turned SP Harriman Heavyweight

rlfhxx.jpg

Inspired by you, Southern1581, I cloned one of the Reading coaches from my copy of stevelerro's Reading T1 payware pack and made a quick reskin of it to be a typical Harriman-design SP 1920's heavyweight archroof coach. Also swapped out the the trucks with six-axle versions.

The GP60s aren't my reskins, rather, what the GP60s are pulling...

x8W9JQr.jpg

VsygieX.jpg

lHSUE9y.jpg

2POMcNF.jpg

q2lEmXI.jpg

I want to release these so badly, but the EULA's pretty locked down and the original creator's been inactive for years, so finding permission could be kinda difficult.

Matt

Last edited:
You've just completed the Mojave Sub: past and present. My SP coach reskins on the previous page are showcased on the TPR Tehachapi route and your Roadrailers are running in a route depicting the exact same region.

Nice skins guys!

A little consist sampling what I have so far. Pictured we have my A-16 #281, the first completed baggage car (just finished that one today), a RPO, 2 coaches (no difference between the two), and yesterday's observation.

kDPeUe0.png

And a render of the aforementioned recently completed baggage car:
Mg1YECf.png

Not shown: my pseudo G-4-h 2-8-0's, 2 other RPO's (1 like the one pictured, one in a totally different style which needs just a little tiny bit of touching up), 10 more coaches (12 total), and the B-1 2-10-2's, which are awaiting a proper tender and some other assorted love which I need to give them.

Still in the plans - heavyweight tricolor passenger cars:
2 dining cars
A further 5-7 baggage cars, mix of with and without the Baggage lettering
2-3 REA Baggage cars
2-3 10-1-2 Sleeping cars (I did find a rough roster list of cars that were active around the time I'm modelling, so I at least have car names, although I still have no numbers to work from)

I would kill for a lounge car to toss in there as well but I can't find a model to work from, but otherwise that completes that list.

Other things planned:
G-9 2-8-0 w/ vanderbilt tender
(Possibly either lightweight passenger equipment and/or further heavyweight equipment in standard dark green paint with gold lettering)
And if I somehow haven't had enough and feel up to the additional modelling necessary, a C&O J1/J2 4-8-2, though this one is definitely the least likely to happen, lots of kitbashing involved.

...Wow...The pack is shaping up to be quite a big one.

Oh, and there is a matching C&O themed model rr that will be going out with whatever I can get released. Eventually I'll have more shots of that as well.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
@Southern1581

Named trains; Fast Flying Virginian (1869-1967), Sportsman, and George Washington

http://hinton.cohs.org/passenger_train_consists.htm

http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/C&O1.htm

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?id=CO&cid=7

The Passenger Car Photo Index has some HW car numbers and I noted that on a couple of sites that consists ran HW 70' archroof baggage cars into the sixties. (<kuid:58422:100324> C&O HW Harriman Baggage car by whitepass)

You might want to consider pweiser's HW cars

<kuid2:520526:1435:1> NH Baggage-Smoker 6020
<kuid2:520526:2033:1> NH Class 2780 Steel RPO-Baggage Combine
<kuid:520526:2086> NH Class 5300 Steel Baggage-Express Car
<kuid:520526:2120> NH Class 7800 Steel Coach
<kuid:520526:2128> NH Class 6824 Steel Smoker
<kuid:520526:2116> NH Class 7921 Steel Coach
<kuid:520526:2127> NH Class 8100 Steel Coach
<kuid:520526:2338> NH Steel Diner 5238 The Statesman

His licensing is very generous.

Last edited:
Thanks for the resources Norm. I hadn't seen the first link but I've been working pretty hard from the other two already. That first one is interesting, I'll keep it bookmarked. My issue at the moment is that info about the C&O's heavyweight sleepers is very scarce, and as of yet I have not found a car number for a single one of them, yet supposedly there were still 66 of the things running post war per what I found here: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1200689,nodelay=1

That gave me car names but not car numbers. None of my other resources have any kind of info on the heavyweight sleepers, only the later lightweights. Guess I'll have to keep digging.

As for pweiser's stuff, I actually do have skins planned on his gear. The 2 dining cars are both going on his Unlettered Pullman Dining Car, 1 of my 3 RPO's is also on his mesh (actually mesh is identical to the RPO baggage you listed), and the REA baggage cars will be on his mesh too. I'll look into the others that you listed though, maybe I can add something in from that list. I'm also downloading the baggage you mentioned as I type this.

Last edited:
I suppose that all of the passenger equipment except the observation is intended for release, yes? I'd not want to see all of this great work to only end up on a single person's PC that will be lost forever when the hard drive fails.

I want to release these so badly, but the EULA's pretty locked down and the original creator's been inactive for years, so finding permission could be kinda difficult.

Matt
have you checked the original assets config? Some creators will put email addresses or other contact info in the config.

I suppose that all of the passenger equipment except the observation is intended for release, yes? I'd not want to see all of this great work to only end up on a single person's PC that will be lost forever when the hard drive fails.

Hard drive failure hitting a little close to home lol, I actually lost this thing's hard drive about a year back and had to have it replaced, luckily before the start of this project. And you are absolutely right, everything bar the observation is slated to be released at some point this year once I have the pack finished, the route finished, and I have tracked down all of the necessary permissions from the ever growing list of creators whose content I have painted.

Southern1581, I wonder what can be done for the observation car if Steve Lerro doesn't allow even the redistribution of his freeware content.

This picture http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/co83.jpg reminds me of these cars

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Stevelerro's from one of his Chessie Safety Trains. I'll keep digging around, there ought to be a roster online somewhere.

To the best of my knowledge Pullman didn't assign numbers to their named cars. Whether C&O assigned numbers after the takeover is something I don't know.

Last edited:
From what I have been able to find they didn't actually assign numbers to them, so I'll be painting them without numbers and with the Pullman script at the vestibules.

Not much skin wise today, but, I have started some dry fitting for the 4-8-2 kitbash I was talking about. I'm actually pretty excited to give it a try.

Southern1581, I wonder what can be done for the observation car if Steve Lerro doesn't allow even the redistribution of his freeware content.

Given it's highly unlikely that Steve will let me release that car, the set probably just won't include an observation, since the only other freeware heavyweight observation I know of is the ancient one on the DLS that I just can't make look up to snuff with the rest of the train. Either I make one myself, or the pack won't have one.

Last edited:
Mostly observation cars were used for special named flagship trains; the vast majority of passenger trains did not have a business/observation car.

Back