seems my integrated ati 4200 graphics aren't worth a you know what with trainz

PennCentral

worked on my layout some, and decided to take a spin. seems the train will stutter along in both open gl and direct x settings. I cranked down the details and dumbed the game down (which is ridiculous since I bought a 4 gig quad core) and it runs better now in open gl, but still stutters some going down the track :(
I did some googling and it seems there is no driver update for integrated ati's on hp motherboards. so I'm screwed i guess...............unless anyone in here has some ideas

ok, since my machine is ddr3, do I have to buy a ddr3 card? I'm not replacing the power supply, so I'm figuring a decent low end card will work best.
opinions on this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Galaxy+...Card/1325428.p?id=1218250289594&skuId=1325428

I got a desktop ATI 3850 HD and it runs overall very good with the details maxed out. Guessing internal ones are not as good

and I am running a computer thats 5 years old shocker how good it runs. I suggest this go into your ATI settings and set everything over to performance in the 3D settings I did it and it thats how I got mine to run were I want it to.

I wouldn't worry about replacing anything until after you did what I said and its still acting up

If you have anymore questions ask we aim here at the forms to help

Last edited:
That GeForce GT 430 should work fine in a modern PC. The GT220 in this 1 year old PC (see below) does very well. The GT 430 is about 35% "faster". These are low end cards by modern standards and as such are cheap and use about 50 watts flat out so they do fine on a 300 watt supply. They might do well on a 250 watt supply depending the the power needs of the rest of the PC. If a PC with a GT 430 doesn't handle Trainz well, it is the fault of the rest of the PC.

That card is $50 less at Tigerdirect, and you will probably find some cheaper from other manufacturers.

I've used the 430 in low-end builds. It's a good card for the price and Trainz is not very GPU-intensive.

FYI, the memory on your motherboard (DDR3) has nothing to do with the memory on the graphics card. The graphics card specs just tell you what kind of memory comes with the card.

Be sure to uninstall the ATI drivers.

I'm guessing you have the desktop version - the laptop (Mobility) version of the ATI 4200 (which, I believe, is actually called the ATI Radeon HD 4200) runs very well on my system, and has no problem with TS2009 (with settings at max)

Shane

If yours has installed a ATI icon at the bottom-right (in the system tray), right-click it, then select your graphics card (it's all menu-based from here on in)

Once you hover over your graphics card, you need to select 3D Settings, then the top menu option (I cannot remember exactly what it's called), then choose Optimum Performance (after doing this, things may not look as good, but it should perform better)

(This is how it works on mine - yours may vary slightly, depending on which version of the ATI drivers you have)

Shane

ok, mine has the built in catalyst center.
I set everything to preformance, but still have the stutters for some reason :(

what about the anit aliasing stuff and where should it be set?

That can be set in the Catalyst Control Center - for performance, it should be set to 'use application settings'. Just make sure that 'Triple Buffering' is turned off.

Shane

ok, under adaptive anti aliasing

enabled is checked, and the slider is set to preformance. there is no applications settings setting

Just checked on mine - it appears it only has two options: enabled/disabled and (possibly) a slider which should be set to performance.

Shane

Just checked on mine - it appears it only has two options: enabled/disabled and (possibly) a slider which should be set to performance.

Shane

yep, same as mine. I just got so mad I uninstalled and re-installed trainz (yes I backed up my local). I'm in the process of re-patching at the moment. It just makes no sense to me that my 5 year old amd 3200 with built in ati graphics runs trainz better than this tower. maybe these new settings on a fresh patched install will help it.
there aren't any dx11 conflicts with trainz, is there?

Not sure, but you should have a copy of DX9 installed and up to date as well - otherwise you will run into trouble during the patching.

(If you are not sure if it's up to date, read my sticky in the General Trainz forum)

Shane

Not sure, but you should have a copy of DX9 installed and up to date as well - otherwise you will run into trouble during the patching.

(If you are not sure if it's up to date, read my sticky in the General Trainz forum)

Shane

I do. guess I'm just stuck with what i have :(

One more thought - when you finish your patching, run TrainzDiag and post the results here - I may be able to work out where the problem is.

Shane

It's OK - some people on these forums do understand TrainzDiag logs (including me)

If the log is too big to post here, upload it to another site and post the link to it here.

Shane

You NEED DirectX 9c, even if you already have DirectX 11.
As for anti aliasing, turn it off and see what happens.

Last edited:
Exactly as I said - a lot of people do not realise that you need an up-to-date version of DirectX 9.0C in order to do certain Trainz things (and even to use DirectX mode, and possibly even to load the game)

This problem seems to happen a lot with users that have Windows Vista/7.

I have created a tutorial for updating DirectX at http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=58843. (It's also a sticky at the top of the General Trainz forum)

Shane

how do you run the longer version of the diag? I ran the trainz diag in the bin folder and it's just that little short one with the check marks

Back