running on laptop?

Relick

Hi does anyone know if TRS09 will run on a Toshiba laptop with the following specs.

PROCESSOR : Mobile Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 Processor, 2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache

MEMORY : 4GB(2 x 2 GB) DDR2 800

CHIPSET : Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

STORAGE : 250 GB 5400rpm 2.5 inch SATA hard disk,

DISPLAY : 15.6 inch Widescreen TFT Active Matrix XGA 200NIT CSV

RESOLUTION : 1366 x 768;

Integrated Intel 802.11 a/g/n

GRAPHICS : Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GM45

AUDIO : Intel High Definition Audio Sound, Stereo Speakers

Thanks Ray

I'd say no. Trainz is to much for a laptop. Some people do use them but have graphics issues. Use the search function at top of page and put 'laptop' in, you should find answers there.

I'd say no. Trainz is to much for a laptop. Some people do use them but have graphics issues. Use the search function at top of page and put 'laptop' in, you should find answers there.

Until recently I would have said they same. But with recent advances in laptops things have changed. Trainz should run OK on many currently available latops, so long as they have discrete graphics. Many current models with discrete graphics would meet the required Trainz minimum spec. I have just set TRS2006 up on an AMD Athlon II Dual Core 4GB with ATI4650 1 GB mobility graphics, and it runs quite nicely, and doesn't seem to be afflicated by the over-heating issues I have seen in earlier generation laptops running Trainz. The problem the OP will have is that their laptop has 'onboard' GM45 graphics, which is probably not enough for decent frame rates in Trainz. The rest of their spec looks OK.

Phil

Last edited:
Hi

I have had 2 laptops which have both been able to run Trainz. The new one is an Acer 5739G with a Nvidea Geforce130M card and 4 GB of memory which is quite happily running TS2009 with the SnC add on. I think that the main thing with both machines is that they both had separate graphic cards. The old machine was an Aspire 1692 which had an ATI X800 card and this ran TRS2006 quite well. I increased the memory to 2GB in that machine which improved the stuttering immensly. As mentioned above I think that the integrated graphics may be a problem but the only way to find out is to try it.

Regards

Brian

Moin,

I have running TRS 2007 (german TRS 06+SP2), TS 2009 and TS 2010 on this Laptop without any problems:

ACER Aspire 7730G Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2,26GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512 MB Memory
4 GB RAM
2x360 GB Harddrive
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows Vista (6.0) Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
DirectX Version: 10.0

I´m also think, the problem of the Laptop that Relick want to use, could be the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GM45.

Last edited:
Another laptop thread.... hmm, I wish we could consolidate these into one thread.

Hi does anyone know if TRS09 will run on a Toshiba laptop with the following specs.

PROCESSOR : Mobile Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 Processor, 2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache

MEMORY : 4GB(2 x 2 GB) DDR2 800

CHIPSET : Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

STORAGE : 250 GB 5400rpm 2.5 inch SATA hard disk,

DISPLAY : 15.6 inch Widescreen TFT Active Matrix XGA 200NIT CSV

RESOLUTION : 1366 x 768;

Integrated Intel 802.11 a/g/n

GRAPHICS : Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GM45

AUDIO : Intel High Definition Audio Sound, Stereo Speakers

Thanks Ray

Yes, but it maybe a pain, I only have one laptop with an IGP (Intergrated Graphics Processor) as apposed to a 'Discreet GPU' (Graphics Processing Unit). Since the gap is narrowing between the 2, there are differences, apart from the fact that the IGP doesn't have its own dedicated RAM (it steals some of the system ram, so the amount available to the programs is not 4GB, but much less. However, graphics sharing is becomming true of all laptops now by the looks of things, although some cards still have dedicated memory.).

IGPs I believe, still rely a lot of CPU time in order to process some 3D graphics, I know that shaders on Intel GMA950s are "software controlled" (a fast way to appauling performance as it relies on the GPU in order to run.), and also, I think IGP have to use the same bus as everything else. After all, the IGP is a small area of the chip that does a mass of other things.

So, IGPs may have comparable clock speeds on the chip, but in reality, they are extremely limited. I have sucessfully however, got TS2009 to work reasonbly (open to interpretation) on an eeePC 901. It uses I think, the one thats 2-3 generations behind your own chip (Intel 945GCE chipset - very crippled chip, because it is used in conjunction with the Intel Atom - 166mhz clock!!), I needed to use Windows 7 and it doesn't do a whole lot without stuttering, in fact, most of my computers have problems running 7 fully timetabled services, the eeePC wouldn't manage any, let alone 7.

To get it to work, I think I had to use Open GL mode (a safe bet, due to the way OpenGL is implimented), which isn't recommended, as OpenGL mode is often appauling on IGPs as it is. Disable Transform and Lighting and did some tweaks in the intel graphics settings.
(Start > Control Panel > Intel Graphics Media Accelerator > 3D Settings > Open GL options I think)
I also had to say "goodbye" to the power saving schemes, which at best, are hopeless. They are also very crude, they scale badly and well, all I think they do is just modify the clock speed. Great if you want a cooler PC, but crap when you play games. Bearing in mind, I was on battery when I did all this.

Now I ran it, if it didn't run in either mode, I downloaded the latest drivers on the Intel website for the appropiate OS. (In my case, Windows 7 and yes, I am happily using Windows 7 on an eeePC.)
Now if, it runs, good. :) Try putting a load of track down and some scenery.... oh dear, new notebook time?

Really, if you are on a budget and want to run Trainz on a laptop, ebay is rather useful. I got a second hand laptop with a Radeon GPU for about £400 4 years ago and the PC was only a year old, it was the best one I had really.

(This advice also works for some otehr chipsets, the dreaded SiS chipsets, I've got Trainz UTC to work on a SiS630T chipset. I regretted doing it though, TRS2004 was a disaster however, it wouldn't work at all in DX mode, it did in Open GL mode, but as soon as I added a train, it choked.)

Mods, is it ok if we make this sticky? Theres lots of questions many other users have with laptops and intergrated/discreet chipsets that they all ask and its best if we have an FAQ about laptops :)

I agree that this should be stickied, as it can be a big help to many people wanting to know if Trainz will run on their laptop.

I know I have no problems running Trainz 2006 on mine (but that's the reason I got a new one in July: so I could play games).

Here are a run-down on the specs, copied from here:
• AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra ZM-85 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Mobile Processor
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Was Vista, but got free upgrade)
• 15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP LED BrightView Infinity Display (1366x768)
• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 (M96) with up to 2815MB total available graphics memory with 1024MB dedicated
• 4096MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

And although you would think that the 5400 RPM hard drive would slow it down, there is no noticeable difference in load times versus my desktop (7200 RPM hard drive). I have absolutely no complaints with my laptop, as I can throw any game at it an it will play (Even Crysis on medium settings!).

Ray, your laptop might be able to play Trainz, but as others have said, it won't be the best performance. If that's a brand new laptop, see if you can get a refund and buy a higher performing one. Otherwise, I would suggest sticking to your desktop or a higher powered laptop for Trainz.

Just my thoughts.

I create my blank routes and lay track on a old laptop...then I transfer the route as a CDP to a desktop to test it out.
I can run Trainz on a Vista Laptop with 1gb ram and a 250mb hard drive. It runs fairly well, but framerates can be a problem in high poly asset filled areas, as the video card is factory and the machine is @ 4 y/o.

Dedicated graphics cards are graphic systems that have dedicated memory specifically for the graphics system. Integrated graphics cards are graphic systems which rely on sharing the main memory with the CPU. Integrated graphics are usually a lot worse for 3D games, in part because access to main memory is slower then dedicated memory, and also because these are often designed as low end systems. (Example above: The shaders being done through software vs hardware would be an indication of a low end graphics system.)

Not all dedicated graphics cards are removable, and desktop motherboards may have integrated graphics too. (Even Nvidia and ATI make integrated graphic systems. Intel is probably the most common integrated system though.)

In the future things will get even more complicated when Intel starts releasing CPUs with graphics systems built into the CPU itself. (Though their initial offering will use their GMA 4500 which fails in comparison current ATI and NVidia graphics systems.)

I have a similar spec Toshiba but only 2GB of ram and yes it will run 2009 with the sliders all to minimum, just tried it in view of this thread, it's very jerky and virtually stops at the sight of a tree, that's that dreadful Intel GM45 graphics chip for you. clean install + patches on a new install of Win7 with nothing else on it yet. However I didn't get it for games just for occasional use when away from home.
That extra ram may just make a bit of difference.

If this helps, I have Intel Integrated Graphics on my laptop with Core 2 Duo (2.20GHz) and 3GB of Ram, and Trainz 2009 Runs great most of the time (with the performance settings on high). Whether or not 2010 Will work I don't know.

Mine:

Manufacturer : Toshiba
Model: Notebook
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2046 MB
System type: 32-bit Operatin System

Is this enough for Trainz??? :confused:

Most of my Trainz is on my pc but I do have a laptop which I take sometimes when travelling away although it is essentially with the built-in routes (excepting one). TRS2006 runs on reasonably. However my big routes I keep to the pc!

Back