Replacing Coupler on an Older Model Power RF16 "Sharknose"

tbob

Analog Kid
Howdy folks,

Someone recently gave me a pair of Model Power ATSF Sharks, one dummy, one powered. The rear coupler on the powered unit is broken, so, in order to fix it, I took the shell off and disassembeled the trailing bogey assembly. The coupler is mounted on/in the one-piece plastic truck assembly and I can't figure out how to get the damn thing out of there and a new one in. Any help?

Thanks,
Jesse

Hmmm, well with my experience reparing trains (4-5 years of lessons), when the coupler broke, we did either one of two things.

1. Replace the coupler or whatever is causing the problem
2. if it can't be fixed, replace it.

Model Railroader Feb 1979 p126-8 has an article on installing KD's in Model Power Sharks and FAs. Even if you just want to replace the horn/hook thingy, the procedure would be much the same. On the off chance you don't have a copy to hand, drop me an email and I will send you a scan.

trainz at ozforces dot com dot au

Loved those locos when I had some. they were built by Roco and had the biggest can motor I ever saw in a model. Weighed about a pound....

Andy :)

Well, by the time I got my camera charged, my dad figured it out. Thanks anyways guys.

I agree Andy, they're great engines but the ATSF paint looks out of place. Once I get some money, I'm gonna paint them into NYC Cigar-Band.

Back