Real Life Situations.

A couple years ago I was at a club event where a number of module layouts had been thrown together. After chatting with a friend for a while, he asked me if I wanted to take a train off on a short run. Being rather excited about the prospect, I said sure, and my lash up was put together. I got to pull a rather nice little sand train, with a couple geeps and this odd F B unit on the head end. Much of the train consisted of "live" or real loads of sand (making it heavier than usual.) The train was probably a good 8 feet long, which in HO is rather good sized.

So, off on the Mainline I went, my little train lumbering around. I noticed as I rounded one turn, that I was having trouble getting moving. It seemed somewhat sluggish. Since I'd never run a DCC system, I figured that was the problem. Well as I came around one turn on a slight grade, my train makes this sudden little lurch and then shudder before coming to a stop. No matter how much power I applied, the train wouldn't budge. Well, it turned out that my B unit was just there for sound. The unit was a Dummy. :eek:

The easy solution here would have been to clear the mainline behind me, and let me back the little consist down into the nearby yard and replace the B unit with a working engine.

That wasn't the one we picked. For some reason, which has since been lost to me the guys with the club decided to tack on this steamer, a large Mikado, onto the front of my consist with the idea being that he'd help me over the grade and down into the yard. This was with two operators, so I guess that may have been the reason. Either way, he looks and asks if I'm ready, to which I reply "yeah" and off we go. He was a bit heavy on the throttle, the Mikado being located just over the edge of the grade, when he opened it, there was a mighty "yank" of the train followed by a loud "PATING!" Looking we quickly noticed the bottom half of my train, some four feet in total, go trundling back DOWN the grade and into the yard. They didn't run a long way though, coming to a very spectacular and resounding stop when they met a passenger train head on.

Sand had gone EVERYWHERE. I swear, and it may seem like an exaggeration, but when the cars hit the locomotive, there was a huge cloud of dust. It looked like the E unit on the passenger train had just exploded. Once everything settled down, we all had a good laugh about it. From that point on, there were no live sand loads without a helper unit in the rear.

I had an interesting experience last year behind the Throttle of 400 at Lakeside.

Just an average day, all we do is carry passengers. I had Ray take the train around while Bruce and I switched some cars around. We moved out tank car onto a siding leading up to (but not into) the engine shed, and moved out flatcar up next to the old transfer table so we could try to dig the damn thing out. it was buried about 30 years ago with coal dust after the train crew almost lost 400 into the 8 foot deep pit.

We easily finished in the 10 minutes the train was out. I decided to take the next run. We loaded, and started off once I got the green. After about 30 seconds I look off to the right out the little doors we have on 400, and notice the track next to me is pretty damn shiny. I look up out the winshield and notice the transfer table (which right now only leads to the far left of the "Roundhouse" which is not round at all). I hit the brakes in time to stop.

Next thing I know Bruce has jumped the fence beside the bumper cars, Ray is running down past the water tower with a radio in his hand.

Had it not been me, and had it been one of our less experienced engineers, I would bet he would have gone straight into the roundhouse (which has happened before)

Was an entertaining experience. Thank god the 400 only takes 30 feet or less to stop.

It's not really long...but ok. So I'm at the Wood Dale METRA Station, (Chicago Regional Transportation) and the CP Worktrain from Elgin is on it's way. Finally, I see it coming over the hilly tracks to the west. I watch as the single engine passes, and I keep looking at it for a bit as it turns southeast. Who pops out of the window but Wolfman! No joke. I'm pretty sure it was an employee in a Wolfman mask...but if not...Uh oh...

Steve

Boy ain't you a bunch....

:cool: Heck, ain't a thang you done I didn't do back in 'nam...or LHS...

I had a crew of hellions doing power line maintenance for what I thought was a darn good bunch back when only the rich(not us) owned cell-phones....

I told my crew never to brag on there mess-ups...addiction-recovery, wounded-knee fractures, etc...

...to concentrate on progress & like the dogs they are to live for the moment & get $screenshots$ where needed...

Y'all remember me in ER as somebody that appreciated the fact that you once had lives....

"Normal" as they say..."Is Over-Rated."

This is about small underground trains they type used in coal mines to transport workers in & out.
One of our normal jobs was to tow broken down transports out of the pit when broken down. We usually took the larger 6cyl Hino diesels (10 ton ) as they had more power & a bit heavier than the standard 4cyl Perkins (7 ton ) models.
Usually we went alone. At catch points we would skid the diesel through as the levers were about 3mts before the points so you would crouch in the doorway then hit the brake & jump out the door grabbing the point lever which we had reflectors on so we could see them easily but when towing we would brake & jump early & run to the point lever as we traveled a bit faster to geta longer skid because of the extra weight & length in tow while the diesel skidded through we got quite good at it.
To tow we would join the two together with a towbar & air line & clamp the deadman, then the driver & shunter could stay in the towing diesel & let the tow freewheel. This day to get out I had to go flat out from the start to get up a steep incline which I had pre sanded on the way in over the crest then along a level run about 2kms to the outbye catch points.

I had jumped out & grabbed the catch point lever & watched my diesel skid through dragging a towbar & air line .Apparently the tow bar pin sheared off at the top of the grade on a spare rail left between the tracks & the 100mtr air line I had used had uncoiled & stretched to about 2-3 it's length & had been pulling the other diesel like a bungee line that for the last 2klms.After what seemed like hours the second diesel came screaming down the tracks in the dark & took out the front diesel both derailed

Lucky no one decided to cross the track during that 2 k’s after I passed & got killed. After that we fitted safety chains as well & were no longer to do the job alone.
Dave

...near death?

:cool: An elderly lady I worked with still sends e-mails to me....

Junebug just wanted to alert others of the electrical hazards around us...& new I'm a rail enthusiast...lucky me...

Some countries, people ride on top, this one is electric, so this guy was just simply trespassing without ever caring about the danger around him...

WARNING: SERIOUS DRAMATIC ENDING...Junebug simply wrote "The power of electricity.....disturbing, careful"...

Last edited:
:cool: An elderly lady I worked with still sends e-mails to me....

Junebug just wanted to alert others of the electrical hazards around us...& new I'm a rail enthusiast...lucky me...

Some countries, people ride on top, this one is electric, so this guy was just simply trespassing without ever caring about the danger around him...

WARNING: SERIOUS DRAMATIC ENDING...Junebug simply wrote "The power of electricity.....disturbing, careful"...

ouch poor guy

Back