Raised roadbed lost with Smooth command

janski0

I am working with TRS 19 Track Concrete 2 Procedural. When laid out the track has a substantial roadbed that I want to utilize. Unfortunately, I lose the roadbed when I "Smooth" the terrain. I still have the tracks visible at the correct vertex height. What's up? How can I work around this and maintain the roadbed?

This is the method I use. Its not perfect but it works.

1. Set the track spline points at the height(s) you want. This method also works, with a bit of fiddling, for track on a grade.

Track-Levelling1.png

2. Lay another track (one without ballast works best) close alongside the target track, or even better, crossing over the track zig-zag fashion. Each spline point on the 2nd track must match a spline point on the target track.

Set the spline points for the 2nd track at a slightly higher elevation from the matching points on the target track. Exactly how much higher is a matter of trial and error, and preference. For example, I have set the spline heights to be 0.15m (15cm) higher than the adjacent points on the target track. The higher you set the difference the less ballast will be shown on the target track.

Track-Levelling2.png

3. Use the Smooth Track tool on the second track. This will bring the terrain under both tracks up to the same level.

Track-Levelling3.png

4. Delete the 2nd track.

Last edited:
I use that method as well to fill in spaces under track by placing a track spline farther out from the one that I want to raise the land up under. It takes some practice, but it allows for filling in the ground under the track I want without burying the landscape below. If worse comes to worse and the landscaping and smoothing doesn't work, I'll cave and use a retaining wall spline.

Hint: there's a bunch of really, really nice embankment splines by jim_spb.

Look for embankments that begin with j_embankment on the DLS. There are too many to list here and all are useful.

Easy answer would be, do not use Smooth... ;-)

"Dig" the roadbed instead by working with lowering each grid point sticking up above the rail and leave those alone that is below the rail, as that would leave the roadbed built into the rail alone.
Takes longer time but you get narrower cuttings and you avoid the bury of the raised roadbed. :)

reason that roadbed is bury is that when using smoothing, Trainz is hard coded to put the ground to about 30cm below top of the rail, and about 30 meter wide, 15 meter each side of the center of the rail.

Maybe not useful, but felt for saying it. :)

Linda

It would sure help if the new Surveyor2 would allow relative height adjustment of spline points
currently we can only grab, set and use the absolute height of spline points.
FI: you set [+0.05] click every spline point and the track lifts 5 cm.
no matter what the absolute terrain height is at that location.

Could even be a part of the bulk asset replace screen (or the new property window)
then you can select 1 spline kuid, and choose to lift that with a relative amount
all route, this baseboard, this section

I have to agree, a relative height displacement that can be set and applied to any spline point by clicking on it has been MIA for too long now.

Fortunately it's been mentioned as a desired feature in the new Surveyor 2.0 thread. So I guess there's some hope.

Bob Pearson

Back