Railworks 2 Vs Trainz 2010 An Unbiased Review.

wholbr

Approximately 4 weeks before Christmas (2010) I purchased Railworks 2. At that time I mentioned it on the forum and was asked by several members if I would do an unbiased review of my experiences with Railworks as compared to Trainz. Well, after nearly 6 weeks of using Railworks here is that review.

Purchase, installation and add-ons.
I purchased both Railworks 2 and at the same time the Bristol to Exeter add on Route by download. Both installed automatically and without any problems. The basic simulator plus the add-on where up and running within 30 minutes from the start of the download. The operation is handled through steam who take care of all rail simulator customer downloads. Without doubt the installation time is far less than that needed for Trainz and many may consider it to be far less hazardous and error-free than the direct Auran/NV3 download system used at present (although Trainz can be purchased through steam I have no experience of this at present).

All patching of Railworks and any add-ons purchased through rail simulator is done automatically as the patches become available. As any computer which has Railworks installed on it is always connected to steam on start-up, the patching can take place even when Railworks is not being used. Some users may find this rather disconcerting or even concerning when pop-ups appear informing you of Railworks patching even though you may be using your system for other things at that time.

Content Availability Both Free and Payware.
Railworks on purchase comes with a number of preinstalled routes and a very limited number of engines and rolling stock. As compared to Trainz many may consider that it would have inadequate usability and realism without further content being added. Freeware content is available from a number of sites in the form of routes, scenery and rolling stock. However, when direct comparisons are made to Trainz, freeware availability would seem limited and the range far less than required by many users.

Payware by contrast is readily available through a number of well-known commercial content sites and there is also a comparatively small number of Railworks “enthusiasts “ who offer content for purchase through a number of avenues. Almost all of the larger commercial producers offer their content as downloadable through the steam system which is then automatically installed into Railworks with the buyer having to take no action whatsoever. By contrast assets acquired through the small private content creators usually have to be installed manually which can be a somewhat cumbersome process which can easily produce errors.

Since initially buying Railworks 2 and the Bristol to Exeter add-on (total costs £50 British sterling) I have also purchased the following content:- Dmu class 101, Dmu Class 170, Dmu class 158, Dmu Class 220 Voyager, Br standard 4MT locomotive, Br Fowler 4f locomotive and the Falmouth branch line.

With the exception of the Falmouth branch line I would consider the above the minimum necessary to make many British scenarios in Railworks realistic. My total cost including purchase of the simulator is approximately £120. The foregoing may well be a factor many potential owners of Railworks would wish to take into consideration before purchase.

Realism and Usability.
Initially on first using Railworks the colours while running scenarios seemed rather drab as compared to Trainz. However, after adjusting my monitor several times I eventually achieved a very good colour balance which made the simulator very true to life. The scenario driving experience of Railworks I have found exceptional. The graphics are of photographic quality which makes the driving very immersive and a somewhat addictive activity. I am sure many would find the foregoing by far the simulator's greatest asset. However, as with any computer simulator activity a high-end system is very necessary to achieve the above results.

Route, scenarios and Content Creation.
Approximately 3 weeks ago I decided to try some route creation with Railworks. I looked to build a small route based on the three and a half mile rail line that did exist between Yatton and Clevedon in North Somerset Great Britain. Using the world editor in Railworks is a completely different to anything users may experience with Trainz. Without being biased in any way I feel confident in saying that the Railworks world editor is not in any way in the same ballpark with regard to usability as this simulator.

I believe I am a person with at least average intelligence and patience but after three weeks and many hours of reading numerous tutorials and watching endless videos on YouTube with regard to route creation I have yet to achieve anything meaningful with the Railworks world editor. Alongside the foregoing is the simple fact that Trainz has never crashed my computer in the 15 months I have had this system. However, Railworks world editor has succeeded in doing that any number of times in the last three weeks. I do not believe that this is in any way connected to the setup of my system as it is used for many various functions including the use of speech to text software which is far more demanding than any simulation and yet it has never faltered in any way in that activity or when using Trainz.

Users also have to get to grips with Railworks world editor for scenario creation but in a much more limited context. I have found this experience much improved and usable than trying to create actual routes. Scenarios are straightforward and quick to create with the high-speed running of the scenarios possible through the map before fully running your conception. However, it has to be remembered that A1 consists are really only mobile scenery in Railworks as you cannot move from consist to consist as you can in Trainz. Neither can you ride as a passenger in any A1 consist carriage as this is only possible in the player train (that being the one you are driving) and then you quickly lose any knowledge of your position on the map. Therefore you have to return quickly to the cab view and take over the controls if an accident is to be avoided.

Forum Support.
The only forum I have used with regard to Railworks would be the UK Trainsim forum and that has only been in the last two weeks while requesting assistance with the world editor. Contrary to information I had received with regard to it being a very intimidating place I found the people there to be very helpful and polite in posting assistance to my problems. However, the forum has a much lower activity rate than this one with a much greater activity seemingly being posted on Facebook and Twitter. However, I have to say I have not become involved with that.

If you have read this far without falling asleep, I hope you have enjoyed the review

Bill

Content Availability Both Free and Payware.
Railworks on purchase comes with a number of preinstalled routes and a very limited number of engines and rolling stock. As compared to Trainz many may consider that it would have inadequate usability and realism without further content being added. Freeware content is available from a number of sites in the form of routes, scenery and rolling stock. However, when direct comparisons are made to Trainz, freeware availability would seem limited and the range far less than required by many users.

Payware by contrast is readily available through a number of well-known commercial content sites and there is also a comparatively small number of Railworks “enthusiasts “ who offer content for purchase through a number of avenues. Almost all of the larger commercial producers offer their content as downloadable through the steam system which is then automatically installed into Railworks with the buyer having to take no action whatsoever. By contrast assets acquired through the small private content creators usually have to be installed manually which can be a somewhat cumbersome process which can easily produce errors.

Since initially buying Railworks 2 and the Bristol to Exeter add-on (total costs £50 British sterling) I have also purchased the following content:- Dmu class 101, Dmu Class 170, Dmu class 158, Dmu Class 220 Voyager, Br standard 4MT locomotive, Br Fowler 4f locomotive and the Falmouth branch line.

With the exception of the Falmouth branch line I would consider the above the minimum necessary to make many British scenarios in Railworks realistic. My total cost including purchase of the simulator is approximately £120. The foregoing may well be a factor many potential owners of Railworks would wish to take into consideration before purchase.

Realism and Usability.
Initially on first using Railworks the colours while running scenarios seemed rather drab as compared to Trainz. However, after adjusting my monitor several times I eventually achieved a very good colour balance which made the simulator very true to life. The scenario driving experience of Railworks I have found exceptional. The graphics are of photographic quality which makes the driving very immersive and a somewhat addictive activity. I am sure many would find the foregoing by far the simulator's greatest asset. However, as with any computer simulator activity a high-end system is very necessary to achieve the above results.

Route, scenarios and Content Creation.
Approximately 3 weeks ago I decided to try some route creation with Railworks. I looked to build a small route based on the three and a half mile rail line that did exist between Yatton and Clevedon in North Somerset Great Britain. Using the world editor in Railworks is a completely different to anything users may experience with Trainz. Without being biased in any way I feel confident in saying that the Railworks world editor is not in any way in the same ballpark with regard to usability as this simulator.

I believe I am a person with at least average intelligence and patience but after three weeks and many hours of reading numerous tutorials and watching endless videos on YouTube with regard to route creation I have yet to achieve anything meaningful with the Railworks world editor. Alongside the foregoing is the simple fact that Trainz has never crashed my computer in the 15 months I have had this system. However, Railworks world editor has succeeded in doing that any number of times in the last three weeks. I do not believe that this is in any way connected to the setup of my system as it is used for many various functions including the use of speech to text software which is far more demanding than any simulation and yet it has never faltered in any way in that activity or when using Trainz.

Bill,

This sounds exactly like Microsoft Trainz Simulator. I ran into the same issues with the Activity Editor. The program would randomly throw up an exception message and crash. The end result was any activity I was creating was hosed. The world editor was just as bad. I could not, after numerous hours and lost weekends, get the program to cooperate with me. I too watched videos, read books, and looked on the web to no avail.

The freeware/payware ratio appears to be the same as well as it was for MSTS. I purchased quite a bit of content and routes for the program including so really nice ones that I wish the developer would look into doing for TS2010.

After dealing with this for just so long, and TRS2004 coming out when it did, I jumped ship and never went back.

John

Bill, thanks

Bill --

Thanks for that review. As an infrequent, frustrated and disappointed users of RailWorks I found it most informative.

A couple of comments --

I'd suspect that if you did not have experience with Trainz "Surveyor" you might have found route construction In RW2 a bit less daunting. My experience was that I had to disregard everything that I had learnt and begin with a very open mind.

One of the major failing for me is the woeful AI in RW. Unless very tightly scripted, this rules out any player-AI interactions. As you point out, this makes the AI just moving scenery.

And a suggestion - if you have not already discovered this gem, go here:

http://railroadsim.net/en/presentation-rrs-tem2-pack1-for-railworks

The freeware (well, actually they ask for donations) locomotive and rolling stock put any RW payware to shame.

My overall take on RW is that it has gorgeous graphics but has become a platform for some very talented payware content creators to generate money. But unless they decide to address some of the more obvious deficiencies, like the AI, it will not succeed as a simulation. And more freeware creators need to get on board.

Phil

Repetitive Scenery

I agree with your assessments. I especially support the position that the RW scenery/objects are of a higher visual quality. However, after multiple years with the game I became bored with the limited number of vegetative assets. While of high quality they were used in many routes severely reducing the variety of nature. Long routes are just track with perfectly planted trees alongside the track with the same weeds mile after mile. The railroad appears to send out teams to maintain the vegetation. The procedural grasses are excellent and a missing element that makes it difficult for me to create real looking trackside environments in Trainz. The new Ultra Grass has been a big help recently and keeps me interested.

I simply do not like games. I use FSX flight simulator and that presents a considerably greater challenge to me personally than getting to, and stopping at, stations. When you are limited to forward and backward the world seems quite limited.

The AI is mainly just to offer something that resembles other activities on the railroad as you dutifully follow scenario instructions hoping for a good score. If the vendor would just allow AI to couple TO assets AI might be used to expand scenarios or even create an actual working railroad.

The Big Boss at RSimulations constantly reminds us that he is selling a game thus my interest in the program has waned. With the use of various JVC shrubs, some decent ground textures and Ultra Grass I think I am close to creating a real looking track scene in Trainz 2010. Until I am satisfied I can make it look good I can't bring myself to spend the several hours of study to learn the relevant rules and commands required to create a virtual model railroad. But until AI, and signals, in RW are properly managed I am sticking to Trainz/

Hi Everybody And Thanks For The Replies To The Review

Bill --
I'd suspect that if you did not have experience with Trainz "Surveyor" you might have found route construction In RW2 a bit less daunting. My experience was that I had to disregard everything that I had learnt and begin with a very open mind.
Phil

I believe Phil you have stated in that paragraph exactly what the problem is. I did try to forget everything I had learned with the Trainz surveyor. The problem is that after a few hours with the Railworks world editor you just cannot forget that there is an easier and more enjoyable way of doing things. I have seen it argued that the world editor gives a better representation of a real railroad due the accuracy of the curves etc you create. However, in doing that they sacrificed usability and stability in the editor together with all enjoyment of using it.

Bill,
The freeware/payware ratio appears to be the same as well as it was for MSTS. I purchased quite a bit of content and routes for the program including so really nice ones that I wish the developer would look into doing for TS2010.
John

John I had not visited Uktrainsim since my days with MSTS. Therefore I was very surprised at the number of active followers the Microsoft simulator still has and the amount of content still being produced by those followers on UKtrainsim. The owner of the site recently contacted all those content producers asking why they have not transfered their talents to Railworks. Various replies were returned to him but the main thread seem to be that MSTS creation had taken them a long time to learn and they were not willing to start all over again.

Another interesting aspect of that survey was the fact that many are looking with great interest to a group of users who are in the process of developing a new simulator known as "Open Rails” a Beta version can be downloaded but I believe at present the simulator is a long way from finished. However, if they succeed all content produced for the Microsoft simulator will be easily imported into “Open Rails” without change. I believe that could be a development which would turn the whole rail simulation scene on its head.

Bill --
My overall take on RW is that it has gorgeous graphics but has become a platform for some very talented payware content creators to generate money. But unless they decide to address some of the more obvious deficiencies, like the AI, it will not succeed as a simulation. And more freeware creators need to get on board.
Phil

Again you are very right there Phil. Railworks is very much the platform for the large commercial payware producers. I have to say the assets that I have Bought from them are of exceptional quality and have produced no problems whatsoever. However, I sincerely believe that many small freeware content producers are being driven out of the various rail simulator communities by “rivet counters” who criticize their creations often in the most derogatory way on the forums.

Many content creators seem to welcome points raised as to inaccuracies in their assets but the derogatory nature of some of the comments must make many feel that they do not wish to spend further hours creating freeware for the communities and that in itself opens the door to the large commercial payware creators.

Bill

Last edited:
Back