Railway Modeller (UK) Digital Subscription

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Just wondered if anyone has used this service to successfully abstract track plans for use in Basemapz etc. Thinking of giving it a go as a 3 month sub is only £8.80 which gives access to the entire back collection. That otherwise would barely pay for two second hand copies, if you can even find them. Wife is also starting to moan about the number of magazines in the bottom of the wardrobe.

However if you can’t copy and save the plans, for purely personal use, then there wouldn’t be much point.

rmweb.co.uk have some interesting model railway plans. Middleton for laptops uses some ideas from the forum.

Cheerio John

I have a digital subscription to Railway Modeller and there's no problems at all with being able to save drawings and plans from the back catalogue collection. Compared with having piles of magazines all over the house and trying to track down old second hand back copies on ebay and elsewhere having a digital subscription was the best thing I ever did.

Great, thanks for that. I presume if you only require the three months, you just need to be aware and cancel your subscription with Exact Edition before the next payment is due.

It's actually probably easier abstracting the plans from the digital copy. For example, Camden and Kilsby caught my eye in this months RM but the plan crosses the centrefold between pages so not going to be easy to scan on a flatbed.

I have the Model Railroader back issues on DVD. I found that the in-house scanning method left a lot to be desired on any issue before the 1990s when they began to be marked up in pdf format to be sent to the printer. Any track plan that went across both pages had to be manipulated in Photoshop to get the two pieces to align correctly. Interestingly, they chose to prevent the end user from copying using CTRL - c but I used a screen capture program to grab them anyway.

The Railway Modeller back copies were all scanned recently on modern equipment. Where there's a problem it's usually that the magazine being scanned wasn't in the greatest of condition, but so far everything that I've wanted has been Ok. RM is fine with folk taking copies for personal use and there's no blocking software in the way.

Yes just signed up for 3 months (initially) with Exact Editions and, wow this is superb. As you say you can just right click and copy the page into a graphics programme.

So many layouts, old favourites - going to keep me busy the next few days and weeks collating. Could never build them all but it means no more scavenger hunting through Google or annoying the wife with dog eared copies in the post!

This is superb!

The "Adapt A Prototype" POTM series from 1978 already yielded numerous layouts to try - Isle of Wight, London Transport, Staines West.

I'm like a little kid on Xmas morning at the moment.

Update:
Spent a fascinating hour or two continuing to go through and grab various plans. Done the 80's editions and about half of the 70's. It is noticeable that the POTM started to dry up a bit in the late 80's and many were presented as concepts or ideas rather than an actual detailed plan within baseboard constraints. Will continue on with the reseach tomoorow but fair to say I've probably already abstracted more plans than I could actually turn into virtual railways for the rest of my life! £8.99 well spent.

Edit:
It is actually quite fascinaing doing a "cramming" flick through, how the style and tone of the magazine and indeed the hobby changed.
Without a doubt the best "POTM's" were probably in the late 70's through to the early 90's. Many based on quite imaginative adaptations of actual prototypes, which is my primary interest. After that, some issue didn't even have a Plan Of The Month or were more of a concept setout than a physical plan constrained by baseboards. The size of the featured layouts, Railway Of The Month etc., also seemed to shrink as the years roll into the late 90's. Far more shelf and minimum space layouts, probably reflecting that modern UK at least housing is not conducive to a large model railway and of course how the cost of the hobby spiralled out of control. The 60's were a mixed bag, many of the POTM's were ones that went on to feature in the various Peco track plan books, largely non-prototypical - though there is one based on the IOM steam network that is on the short list for a crack at building.

I've still got to run through the 50's copies and 2000 onwards, then I need to sit down and come up with some sort of triage where to start!

Last edited:
I think you may have inspired me Vern (and Annie!) I'm going to have a look at this.

Paul

EDIT: OK, I've subscribed. Amazing! I can see the magazines I bought back in the 70s. What a resource. And memories! Thanks Vern.

Last edited:
I think you may have inspired me Vern (and Annie!) I'm going to have a look at this.

Paul

EDIT: OK, I've subscribed. Amazing! I can see the magazines I bought back in the 70s. What a resource. And memories! Thanks Vern.
Enjoy! Some of those folded prototype plans were a work of genius in the late 70’s through to the mid 80’s.

Edit: I notice they also do Continental Modeller, though that doesn't seem to go back very far - something like 2011 but ISTR it started in the early 80's. Also Britsh Railway Modelling (BRM), so both of those might be worth a sub when the current RM one ends.

Last edited:
Back