Railfanning in Canada 2015

scratchy

Strayan
Hey trainzers

Wondering if anyone (particularly my Canadian friends) can help me out. I'm heading over to Vancouver for most of December this year, keen to see the sites and get around. I've also got friends in Revelstoke which I will Greyhound it out to. I guess my question is, does anyone have any favourite winter spots to view trains through the rockies/vancouver?
I think I'll catch the train out to Port Moody one day but thats about all I know. I dont know how accessible Kicking Horse Pass is in the winter.
Also from past years do sections of the Trans-Canada Hwy close in December for snowfall? Is it really that bad? How well do they maintain the minor roads?
Hoping to have an awesome time no matter what but its difficult deciding whether I should plan my days or just play it by ear because of the weather.

Cheers :) Keen for a welcome break from 37deg in Perth

I would imagine that the general tourist railfan location viewing places at Kicking Horse Pass - Spiral Loops would be a little lackluster, because of many trees obstructing the viewing, and campsite hike-in photo op spots would be highly frowned upon by the RR

Last edited:
Back