proper behavior

jytte

route builder
Hello All, I'm relatively new, so I need some advice on proper behavior (for lack of a better word) when it comes to releasing a route.

I've just been reading through the long thread on a German website that offered stolen content. Everyone was outraged, me included. However, reading some of the posts, raised some issues that I hadn't really thought about before, and caused me to go in search of some guidelines, which I didn't find. So, I'm posting here to get some input from you all.

I am working on a route. Once it's finished, I'd like to upload it to DLS. I have actually created a few humble sound files, and I'm working on some houses. But that's probably as far as my asset-creating skills will go. So 99.9% of my route will obviously be somebody else's creation: trains, trees, buildings and so on.

I must admit I haven't looked through every single asset to check the "license", in many cases there aren't any, I know that much. But as I understood it, whatever asset (not other routes of course) I download from DLS, I am allowed to use in my own routes, and then upload these routes giving proper credit to the creators - that is listing everyone that contributed with an asset to the route. This is how I understand it, and seems pretty straight forward.

Now, I'm also working on a website (not published yet) to present such a route and whatever content I create myself. I got inspired to do so from other Trainzers who offer additional information, pictures, maps etc. on their sites. I think that's a great idea, since there's only room for a thumbnail and a short description on DLS. A website would also allow me to give proper credit to those asset-creators that really really have contributed, and direct other users (and newbies like me) in their direction.

On my webpages (that is the pages I'm working on), I have each asset linked to DLS for easy access to download for whomever might want it, and I also have a "direct download" link for people to be able to download from my site, in case they don't have a FCT. Since I created the assets from scratch I'm not violating anybody's rights here. Except for a paintshed item maybe?

I had thought of doing so for my route as well, but just realized (reading these threads) that it will then be available for non-registrered users of Trainz (as in pirates), so that must be a no no. And really, that goes for the assets as well, even if they are mine.

I never have, nor will I ever, "steal" other people's creations, or pass them off as my own, and I sure wouldn't want to be accused of such a thing. I just wanted to be as informative and helpful as possible. But I'm suddenly thinking that I might be stepping into some muddy waters here, and there might be other issues, that I haven't thought of as yet, so please, fellow trainzers, I could use some friendly advice to clear my thoughts on this.

Always grateful for your input,

Jytte

Good on 'ya for asking...

....hosting the route itself on your site is fine, but not the items the route uses. A user who is not registered would not be able to access the content, and would end up with a fairly scantily clad route.

Listing the kuids of items in the route would be acceptable, but hosting the content itself would not.

As an alternative, you can always establish a blind link to the DLS, so that using a link on your site would take the user to the DLS, and therefore non-registered users would still be hosed.:D

Thanks Euphod,

Oh, I wouldn't put anybody else's content on the site, just the my "raw" route, then their CMP would automatically list all the content they'd need to download from DLS.

And yes, I did think of making a complete list of dependency-kuids (numerically) to make it easier for people to locate in case of any troble with CMP (Lord knows I've had my share of that).

I'm not sure what you mean by a "blind link". My "download from DLS" link is linking directly to the DLS page for that individual asset, and to download it from there you'd need to login anyways. But that wouldn't be the case with a direct cdp download from my page.

Hi Jytte,

It is good to see someone checking out what is the best way to do something first before they jump in and try it out.

I agree with Ed in that you place your route on your site with more details and screenshots. You can then add a link for others to download your route with instructions on where others can find the missing content. When I clicked on the link at the top of the forum here for the DLS I am taken to the DLS and NOT to any content. I can then search around for what I want.

http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS.php

The other thing you mention though about putting everyones names on your description for your route on the DLS, you do not have to do this, the DLS does it for you.

Hope this helps,

Craig
:):):)

Thanks Craig,

That was another question on my mind (but I was gonna wait to ask till later, I'm already bombarding the forum with all my questions :hehe:). So the lists I see on other routes are created automatically when you upload? And I don't have to add that to my route anywhere (what a relief)?

I'm still checking out other people's webpages, and I just saw a neat way of doing things like that. They do offer their route and assets on the site directly, but as a zipfile with a password. Apparently you then get the password at the forum (and you'd have to be a member for that).

That's pretty cool, and also zipping it, making it easier to download. I have never done that, but that shouldn't be hard to figure out. And that offers protection from pirates.

Thanks Craig,

That was another question on my mind (but I was gonna wait to ask till later, I'm already bombarding the forum with all my questions :hehe:). So the lists I see on other routes are created automatically when you upload? And I don't have to add that to my route anywhere (what a relief)?
If you look at a layout on the DLS it has a list of all those creators content you have used on the route, this is created by the DLS when you upload it.

I'm still checking out other people's webpages, and I just saw a neat way of doing things like that. They do offer their route and assets on the site directly, but as a zipfile with a password. Apparently you then get the password at the forum (and you'd have to be a member for that).

That's pretty cool, and also zipping it, making it easier to download. I have never done that, but that shouldn't be hard to figure out. And that offers protection from pirates.
You may be thinking about the DHR project and this was a great idea, the way it was done would mean you are a registered member of Trainz and the Forum. For anything like your idea a Zip file will always be the best. Even when I back up a layout (in 2004) I add all the content needed and them Zip the file and store it on disk's, saves heaps of space on the disks :hehe:

Back on the main point though, unless you have permission from everyone who has created something for your layout you should NOT place that content on a site. There are creators who say in there license, "do as you wish to this item, but you can ONLY release it on the DLS". There once was some Auran disk with the original files of many items, when this was released the content can be changed/reskined but can only be released on the DLS. This is a very "touchy" thing/point in our Trainz World of Creators.

Craig
:):):)

Thanks again Craig.
To avoid stepping on anybody's toes, I think I'll just stick with the link to DLS, and then all the info of course.

Back