Portal not excepting AI trains.

Jayco-man

Ai train gets to the portal and stops, says he's waiting on track clearance, but he's supposed to go to this portal and there is a green light at the portal.

Yes, and if you put your mouse over it, it says line is clear into portal, but the driver says error: cannot find dentation to portal 4, and he's setting right in front of it.

I found placing a permissive signal on the track leading to the portals helps. These are the signals with the small name or number bar below the target and are Type 05s in Jointed Rail naming convention and the same for the built-in one.

Yes, and if you put your mouse over it, it says line is clear into portal, but the driver says error: cannot find dentation to portal 4, and he's setting right in front of it.
Check that the portal is actually connected to the entrance and not the end. I've made that mistake before and it was a bugger to find.

Why is a signal placed at the entrance of a consuming portal?
To tell the AI that they can proceed into the portal. Portals appear to have an invisible stop and the AI wait for clearance. By placing the permissive signal, they proceed into the tunnel towards its end.

Really? Which portal? I borrow from philskene routes (and modify original) and I've never seen an issue with a train entering a portal. How close are we talking about here? Perhaps I'm just envisioning a close signal but it's not that close? - I can see I'm ging to have to do some experiments. Do you use invisible signals?

So I just created a one tile layout, put down a "Portal" and ran track along the outside edge of the tile on three sides. Placed a train at end of track opposite of Portal and issued a "Drive" command. The train ran around the tile at 38 mph and continued at speed into the portal. This is my typical experience so I'm a bit confused... but thats OK. Maybe we use different portals?

Last edited:
Really? Which portal? I borrow from philskene routes (and modify original) and I've never seen an issue with a train entering a portal. How close are we talking about here? Perhaps I'm just envisioning a close signal but it's not that close? - I can see I'm ging to have to do some experiments. Do you use invisible signals?
I place mine a nominal distance away and not right in front of the portal, although that would work too. Invisible signals would work fine. I just used the JR SL 05 15 foot signal.

These are the usual Portal Basic assets. I've never used any other unless they came with routes. The thing is, they used to work in previous versions and fine until the more recent service packs to fix the derailing consists issue we had when trains were exiting portals. I actually discovered putting a permissive signal ahead of the portal solved the problem by accident.

Thanks much for the info... likewise... I think I just use "Portal" - works well here with no signal required. Gobbles up trains all day long. Again, thanks for the reply.

You're welcome. It could be my complex routes causing the problem, but who knows, Trainz is being its usual self.

Back