PC for Trainz 22 Plus

Dear Trainz communityI would like to build a new PC for Trainz myself, because my current PC is getting on in years. In order to get started on the project, I would like to ask you for tips on which CPU, graphics card, motherboard and SSD card are best suited. For the nine PC, I would be very happy for your help. Kind regards Peter

Think about how much money you want to spend first.

The most important thing is going to be the GPU. Trainz is optimised for nVidia.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

You want at least a score of 10,000 in the 3D benchmark but I'd aim for 20,000.

I quite like the RTX 4060 Ti at the moment. You can buy more powerful GPUs such as the RTX 4090 but the price performance is not so good and most of the time you'll be using only a fraction of it's power.

The CPU isn't so important. An i7 will suffice but make sure the machine will run windows 11. This means you'll need to be very careful if it's custom built to ensure all the bits will run win 11.

SSD NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD anything else will be much slower.

Memory 16 min but I would prefer 32 gigs.

Then you get to power supply and cooling. You haven't mentioned them but they are very important and often over looked.

Take a look at Dell's offering the alienware gaming machines are well balanced. Personally I might even go an i9 with their machines.

Cheerio John

Many thanks John for your tips I come from Switzerland and our prices are relatively moderate compared to other European countries. I want to spend about $1500 to $2500. Your help helped me a lot, thanks Peter

I'll go along with John on this. If you have the money though, the RTX 3080 is a great choice and of course the CPU can be updated as well. The one thing that I would really give a lot of thought to is the case: you want a LOT of air flowing through. My Ryzen 9 7900 is water cooled and the case has 6 fans, but I can still get the CPU to around 90 C. Running on higher settings, lots of scenery and lots of other trains moving, really gets the temps up and they go up REAL fast!

Dear Trainz communityI would like to build a new PC for Trainz myself, because my current PC is getting on in years. In order to get started on the project, I would like to ask you for tips on which CPU, graphics card, motherboard and SSD card are best suited. For the nine PC, I would be very happy for your help. Kind regards Peter
Just a question : Are you going to play the game in 1080p , 1440p , 4K , or 8K ? I think it's useless ( and waste of money ) to buy a nuclear power plant if you only play the game in 1080p .

Just a question : Are you going to play the game in 1080p , 1440p , 4K , or 8K ? I think it's useless ( and waste of money ) to buy a nuclear power plant if you only play the game in 1080p .
With the right assets I can bring any system running in 1080p to it's knees, I'm not even sure if 4 k or 8k are options in TS22 plus.

Cheerio John

Looks to me that 1200p is the highest fullscreen resolution but if you don't use fullscreen it automatically adapts to your screen. To be fair though I have TRS22 and not Trainz+ so this may not apply

My PC is new. It is watercooled (CPU and GPU).
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 64 GB RAM
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
SSD 4 TB: Windows 11, TRS+, TRS+ Beta
HD 14 TB: 1,7 TB Trainz-Content
Screen: 3840 x 1600, 175 Hz. A real pleasure!

@petergeorg
By the way, I am from Switzerland too. :)

Regards
Swordfish

Get a good case, and CPU cooler. Skip the light show and focus on cooling. The new graphics put a large load on the CPU. Texture and elevation changes are big heat makers. Think of the number of calculations needed as you drag the cursor changing elevation or texture color.

Back