Passengers numbers still going up

rjhowie

It was mentioned in a newspaper that that First Scotrail (like the rest of the UK) and runs 85% of services in the northern half of the Kingdom, is still showing annual increases in rail travel and still nationally breaking records. All good for the network.

Hi Rj And Everybody.
You are perfectly right there RJ in what you state as I was reading the first great Western passenger figures when I was on Bristol Temple Meads station last week. I do see some clouds on the horizon of late however in that the ticket prices are now getting so high that some people are being driven off the railways as thay genuinely cannot afford to travel by rail because of the cost. Traveling backwards and forwards to London and other places regularly in the UK I have got to know quite a few people while waiting at my local station usually around 06:30 in the morning. I did ask one person I know what had happened to 2 people I had not seen for some time and they told me that those two had reverted back to using their cars for their daily commute to Bristol because of the high ticket cost on the line.

I have also noticed that a great many rail passengers these days are working while travelling and thay are undoubtedly having their fares paid for them by the companies they work for. Companies do not mind paying rail fares as they realise employees can work on trains and therefore do not view it as "downtime" as it is viewed when employees use their cars to travel long distances. I view it that way myself when travelling by rail and I am able to book it through the business as cost and business expense.

Having said all that it will be a shame if people find themselves unable to use the railways for social or pleasure travel simply because they cannot afford to do so. It would seem to be getting especially hard on retired people who are undoubtedly finding it very expensive when travelling even with a " senior citizen" Railcard. Let's hope we do not see rail travel become the preserve of the wealthy and powerful or just those who are able to book their fare price to their expense account.

I find it is the passengers that are using the railways for social purposes are the ones that I always seem to find myself chatting to and create the great social atmosphere you often get on trains.

Bill

Last edited:
We're facing the same problem here as well, Bill and Bobby. The MBTA has voted to raise fares and impose service cuts. This will force many people back to the crowded highways instead of taking the poluting vehicles off.

Many people here work on the trains anyway whether the companies pay for their fare or not. I think they use the time as if they're in their office instead of facing the mound of papers either at home or when they get into the building. When I worked in Boston, I used to do the same. Now I have to take the work home and login remotely.

John

Hello Bill,

Yes there is some concern about pricing and politics in a general sense comes into it when people frown at the fact that the same distances onEurope are much lower. But there again they decide on bigger subsidies and probably cut back on something else that we wouldnt?! Still a challenge though

The Senior Railcard is a help to a degree and up here north of the Border in the wide area around greater Glasgow there is an addtional benefit. It used to be even chepaer but that changed because some Local Councils pulled their subsidies. The Senor Bus Pass covers all bus routes in Scotland including the long distance exoress services but here in this part of the Central Belt the Bus Pass gives you a train discount. By showing it at a staion or ticket conductor you can travel up to 10 miles for only 80 pence and a return for £1.20. Tremendous value and we have a great rail service. It used to be 40p and 80p return but this present price is still something. If you furhtere you are geting a dicount.

We have had 3 passenger lines abandonded in Beeching days from the 60's re-opened and a 4th in the pipeine running through 30 plus miles of beautiful country. You need more of that down South with the populations there. It is great that the railways which have less mileage due to Beeching and the government run period are now more used than at any time since the 40's. Quite an achievement even with the fares negativity. In Northern Ireland which still has the only publically run railway in GB, pensioners can travel just not on the buses but free on the trains too. There are places where it was right to close lines as they were many where passengers had gone but now with so much population shifts and growths there are places where a train service could be available again.

Back