Non-rectangular fields in Surveyor

Thierry_St_Malo

Hi, all!

I want to enhance my route's countryside by creating non-rectangular fields with ground textures (I consider agricultural splines as frame-rate killers).
I guess that my question boils down to : how can I draw a reasonably straight-looking line that is not parallel to the board's edges?

Can you help? Thanks in advance,

Thierry

Hello Thierry,

If you are trying to get fields with odd shapes – and have a hard line distinction between ground textures, I’m not sure it’s possible to do.

Ground textures are never hard edged at any angle in Surveyor.

However, there is a way to create the illusion of what I think you might be trying to achieve. It's not too frame greedy either. Use ground textures and a small number of splines.

If I am building a non-prototypical route, I lay the different ground textures fairly randomly, and then let the border between the two decide where to place a wall, hedge, or road spline. You can get quite realistic fields that way.

It’s also quite effective to give a quick (very quick!) squirt of a darker colour in the corners of fields. I often use track ballast.

I don’t use crop splines in the background. They aren’t really needed for distant landscapes.

Again to save frame speed, don’t paint anything you won’t see. Leave the checker board visible.

Making the terrain undulated helps with the effect as well. Truly flat land is quite rare.

Here’s an example, using very few ground textures and just three spline types. This might better explain what I'm trying to say.

example1h.jpg

It is sometimes nice to use a crop spline in small amounts, particularly for trackside camera shots. Here’s one which exploits the detailed corn in the foreground (I think it's corn!), laid over the same yellow ground texture used in the fields in the distant background. What you see through the bridge is as built in the top picture.

example2h.jpg

Cheers
Casper
:)

Perhaps a little practise. In the picture, the vertical juncture of the field is across the diagonals, while the juncture slanting down to the right is parallel to the grid. The grid here is set to 5 meters in 2010. Better I have to admit than you could do it in 2006.

Field.jpg

Perhaps a little practise. In the picture, the vertical juncture of the field is across the diagonals, while the juncture slanting down to the right is parallel to the grid. The grid here is set to 5 meters in 2010. Better I have to admit than you could do it in 2006.

~ helpful image removed to avoid double posting ~

Thanks for the very helpful advice - and sorry to have short changed Thierry on what is possible.

I've practised as you suggested. I've now got the hang of it. The "join" is much more clean cut than I thought was possible.

Always so much to learn here!

I see that the limits on "straightness" (is that a word?) is parallel or at 45 deg. Any thing else is ragged on mine. I guessing, but presumably TS2010 would have similar problems - even at 5m grid setting?

By the way, the shot below, (and all my stuff) is from TRS2004. I've not used 06.

example3k.jpg

Cheers
Casper
:)

Back